Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
RadioGaGa

Is skate profiling "old technology"?

My girlfriend dropped off new skates I bought last weekend to be profiled. I told her to ask for a "9' radius, +1 forward"... Which is what I have been skating on since I got my old skates way back in '07.

She texted me after and said they kept asking her: "Are you sure that's what he wants...that is like 25 year old technology"

I replaced the steel a couple years ago and at that time, no one suggested that it was obsolete or old to do a profile of that nature.

I skated on them last week, stock off the shelf with no profile and I felt like I was skating for the first time in years. I just want these new ones to feel like my old ones did.

Matt, I think the answer to your question lies in the Pro Sharp profile project that JR is doing.  There are so many more profiles available that can enhance people's skating now that people are dialing in and getting optimal performance.  Of course you can always try to replicate your old 9 foot rocker but you can also step outside the box and try some new stuff.  It's really your call.  But in short, yes...  I think int time you will find that a typical 9 foot rocker is obsolete. 

• Like 2

I've heard similar when asking for a 9' profile. Kid was like "man you older guys love that 9' profile". You've heard of dad rock...the 9' profile is the dad profile LOL.

Edited by stick9

Calling it "old technology" is a bit misleading maybe. The shape of a 9' rocker isn't a different technology. It's still all just shaped steel. "Old style" would make more sense to me. It's the same nuts and bolts, just in a different finish.

Echoing that you should hop on the prosharp project with JR.  

9+1 might be what you end up liking best, but I see it like FBV... Roh works, but there's a different option you might like better, that takes a little different approach.

• Like 1

Check out this presentation on the ProSharp technology:

https://issuu.com/elinmalmsten/docs/script-tryckfilus_64e6b4f0ed3b15

I've got a lot of hockey experience. Never had skates profiled. Just got my first profile from JR's program, Zuperior S. The difference was shocking. The improvement in glide was unbelievable. Highly recommend.

I don't even recall how I came to skate on that profile to begin with. I bought a pair of skates that had been done custom and returned...so not only did I get a great deal, but I got someone else's setup. I think that might have been it. The guy told me what was on the blades when I bought it. But, it is what I have gotten used to.

I will definitely look into what JR is doing now.

Thanks.

[EDIT]: This does mean the white 9k's have been retired (at least temporarily). Now I just gotta get rid of the matte black E700. haha

On 12/11/2018 at 5:15 PM, RadioGaGa said:

My girlfriend dropped off new skates I bought last weekend to be profiled. I told her to ask for a "9' radius, +1 forward"... Which is what I have been skating on since I got my old skates way back in '07.

She texted me after and said they kept asking her: "Are you sure that's what he wants...that is like 25 year old technology"

I replaced the steel a couple years ago and at that time, no one suggested that it was obsolete or old to do a profile of that nature.

I skated on them last week, stock off the shelf with no profile and I felt like I was skating for the first time in years. I just want these new ones to feel like my old ones did.

There is nothing wrong with that setup you requested. If it works for you, why change it? I only recommend to players changing their profile if there is something that isn't working for them or they want to alter, change, or improve. Example, I recently had a player who bought new True skates and requested his usual 11' radius. He kept catching the toe on crossovers and crossunders. He also felt like the skate was too neutral so we moved him to a combination radius with a forward pitch and also shaved the toe for him as well matching it as close to his old skate blade as possible. He loves the new setup. 

Google review quote "Skateworks got me fitted with a pair of 3d scanned True. The fit was perfect but the blades felt awkward. Corey and Nick helped identify the problem which for me was “too much steel on the toe” and a larger stock blade radius. The quad-2 shape they suggested is perfect. Local experts help make your skates fit and work right. Thanks /Karl"

• Facepalm 1

12 hours ago, Wolfpack_1986 said:

🙄 at the self gratification

Naaah, it's OK. Nicholas is into hockey and is proud of what he does. Nothing wrong with that. In the corporate world, that's called an example of "best practices".

Edited by clarkiestooth
  • Like 2

How much of this isnjust hype about the latest and greatest thing?

This is “old technology” that was widely standard practice like 18 months ago? Things change, but how many people are playing at a very competitive level are still using traditional radius?

And, if we are broadening it to hockey players in general, I bet most people are skating on stock radius (one skate 9.32’, one skate 10.4’) that are slightly bent and then mangled by bad sharpening skills. 

My conspiracy theory is that the person who said that  is trying to neg you into a slightly more expenensive profile. Or, is the type of person who always suggests the fancy new thing, regardless of need. 

• Like 3

On 12/11/2018 at 11:02 PM, stick9 said:

I've heard similar when asking for a 9' profile. Kid was like "man you older guys love that 9' profile". You've heard of dad rock...the 9' profile is the dad profile LOL.

You can have my Zwickers "wing radius" when you pry my skates off my cold dead feet.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2018 at 10:15 AM, start_today said:

My conspiracy theory is that the person who said that  is trying to neg you into a slightly more expenensive profile. Or, is the type of person who always suggests the fancy new thing, regardless of need. 

Which is why we're doing what we're doing.  Giving people choices to try something new without the cost involved.  You're probably correct about the store he dealt with though; definitely not disputing that.

The game is faster and players are stronger now than before.  Equipment has changed.  Why shouldn't profiles?

Yes, there is a certain element of this project that is annoying; it is the people who are like "I read about this fancy profile, can you do just that?"  And I have to explain that the point of it is being to try several things; essentially starting at ground zero and seeing what works best.  So if you have a favorite single radius that you figured out a long time ago, why not try something else knowing you could go back to that if you wanted to?

• Like 2

Tinkering is what the folks on this site are known for. I explored varying radii and cuts and probably am an exception around these MSH in that I wound up back at the "Zwickers wing profile". The one I first tried at 13 when the guy who put me in Graf 501's in 1984 asked, "have you ever had a radius done before?" and recommended that one. I do wonder about the chicken/egg of it. Did that profile fit my skating or did my skating follow that profile but I do know after the tinkering that no other profile will make me skate my best.

Point is, I'm probably one of a select few who were already on their optimum setup. Pretty much everyone on this site has a tale of how they had their "eureka" moment when they changed X in their setup. And no matter what, keep playing. We all have ups and downs in this game but there is no other sport and community like it.

• Like 3

Oh, I hear you completely.  It's precisely why I've never messed with any pro stock curves.  Found my pattern in 1998 and have stuck with it.  

At the end of the day, whatever profile gives you the most confidence out there is the right one for you.  Which is why the ones who are self-medicating are a challenge.  

• Like 1

I still have difficulty understanding how it's even physically possible to put more than a single radius on a runner.  Would love to see a good diagram of the actual shape of a quad radius.  In my head I just see bumps or ripples.

1 hour ago, boo10 said:

I still have difficulty understanding how it's even physically possible to put more than a single radius on a runner.  Would love to see a good diagram of the actual shape of a quad radius.  In my head I just see bumps or ripples.

What part of it is so confusing? 

quad2_grande.jpg?v=1458819833

12 hours ago, boo10 said:

One way to picture it might be to consider the curve on the X28 stick pattern. It's got two curves, a softer heel curve and a tighter toe curve. Especially the non-Easton versions of the pattern transition between these two seamlessly. Just imagine that with a couple more curve zones on it and you can maybe picture it a little better.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2018 at 2:23 PM, boo10 said:

I get where you're coming from, but in your minds eye, you're picturing arc segments of much smaller circles.  If you go out into your yard grab 13' of line and create a segment of a circle that's a couple inches long, it will look roughly flat.  That makes it easier to blend from one to the other. Do a 26' and it will be even flatter.

Now, if we we're talking like... 8" 12" and 14" circles on a normal blade, yeah it would look like a disaster.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, flip12 said:

One way to picture it might be to consider the curve on the X28 stick pattern. It's got two curves, a softer heel curve and a tighter toe curve. Especially the non-Easton versions of the pattern transition between these two seamlessly. Just imagine that with a couple more curve zones on it and you can maybe picture it a little better.

1 hour ago, Wolfpack_1986 said:

I get where you're coming from, but in your minds eye, you're picturing arc segments of much smaller circles.  If you go out into your yard grab 13' of line and create a segment of a circle that's a couple inches long, it will look roughly flat.  That makes it easier to blend from one to the other. Do a 26' and it will be even flatter.

Now, if we we're talking like... 8" 12" and 14" circles on a normal blade, yeah it would look like a disaster.

Thanks, both of these descriptions helped immensely.  I guess the shape I'm visualizing is actually correct, it's just that the transitions are subtle enough that they seem smooth.

• Like 1

I agree with the majority here.  I picked up some new skates, had them sharpened, and gave em a try.  Felt terrible, like you said, like I was learning to skate again.  Turns out my old skates had a 9' radius and the new had a 10'. If that's even what they were anymore, as I never had the radius maintained.  I reached out to a credible company and filled out their player profile form.  I was suggested a triple radius and forward pitch which I ended up trying.  Night and day difference and it was even better than I felt on my 9' radius.  Pick someone who is credible and give it a try.  Technology is amazing and the way your skates can be tailored to your specific wants and needs is unreal.