Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
romdj

Increasing rib area protection with composite

In my recent history, I've been implanted a heart S-ICD (defibrillator/pacemaker); it is placed under my rib cage on the left side.

I was told by doctors that I could play normally, but at one point I got a puck in the chest (high saucer pass so not even a shot), and it broke the device and I had to get it replaced (surgery etc...)

I would like it to be the last time I have to go through this and thought that I needed to protect that area (frontier between rib and a stomach) against any kind of shot in order to protect the device.

I thought of stitching some kind of carbon fiber to my existent shoulder pads, but have never seen it done. Or I also thought to stitch some lacrosse rib protector to my shouldies.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Romain

For sure man, there’s lots of options out there. I think a lacrosse rib protector would be your best bet. I’d probably want it on both sides just so it’s less awkward.

theres also lots of shirts with rib protection too, though they may not be enough for you.

Look at EvoShield. They should have an application that will work for you. 

I remember seeing them at a tradeshow and their product guy was allowing people to take a bat and hit him in the ribs. 

JR nails it as usual. EvoShield is the way to go. They likely have a shirt with the plate in it (meant for another sport like baseball or football) that will cover a portion of your ribs. If the device is not in that area, you could buy one of the replacement shield packs, form it and find a way to attach it to your shoulder pads, or contact EvoShield and see if they can make you a custom fit shirt that will put the pad exactly where you need it. They’re excellent about trying to find solutions to a problem you’re having. 

A lacrosse or football “flak jacket” under your shoulders would probably work as well. 

I broke three vertebrae a few years ago and when I was cleared to play again, I wanted to protect the area for a while. So I tried both options. In the end, the lacrosse rib protector covered what I needed. I went with a softer one, but they make a hard armor like one you could use as well. 

Thank you for all your answers!

I just bought the Evoshield rib shirt, will take it from there 🙂 and post back with short review for future references.

Thanks again for all your inputs!

• Like 1

Awesome.  Yeah, they make great stuff.  They were going to make a shot blocker for skates years ago but it didn't get off the ground.

Be sure that when you do it, you put the shirt on first and your shoulder pads as well - the curing time is pretty quick.  You want all of the things that you're going to wear on you. 

5 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Awesome.  Yeah, they make great stuff.  They were going to make a shot blocker for skates years ago but it didn't get off the ground.

Be sure that when you do it, you put the shirt on first and your shoulder pads as well - the curing time is pretty quick.  You want all of the things that you're going to wear on you. 

Great! Thanks for the tip!

Just as an update:

- Ordered and fit the evoshield rib protection and unfortunately, the pads aren't covering the s-icd danger zone.

(I asked evoshield for some adjustment on their shirt and no can do understandably due to their manufacturing procedure.)

- Ordered some Vital Beats S-ICD (https://www.vitalbeat.me/vital-beat-sicd-protection/ ) and the process is simple, they just send you a t-shirt with a marker and you circle the area to protect and they stitch a pocket around that area.

So if you're a handyman, then I'd suggest to sew an internal pocket, and buy some protective shielding or do your own carbon plate, but if you're not (like me) or just lazy, I'd recommend the vital beats option, which although pricier, will be a protective product specifically designed for that purpose.

Happy end of season y'all!

23 hours ago, romdj said:

So if you're a handyman, then I'd suggest to sew an internal pocket, and buy some protective shielding or do your own carbon plate, but if you're not (like me) or just lazy, I'd recommend the vital beats option, which although pricier, will be a protective product specifically designed for that purpose.

Happy end of season y'all!

Plenty of d3o pads on eBay for anyone who prefers DIY.