Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
gevorkya

Zuperior S - gevorkya

Profile 2

Steel - StepSteel Black 272

Hollow - 1/2"

About Me - I started skating when I was about 18.  Skating turned into pick up hockey then on to beer league and has been that for over 20 years.  Started out on cheap skates, no profiling, just was glad they were mine and not rentals.  Went thru 2-3 upgrades still without knowing what profiling even meant.  Skating was improving, as one would hope.  Finally got a set of higher end skates that felt most comfortable so far, still with out of box steel and normal sharpening.  Shortly after happen to stumble into a skate shop that had a pro who kinda explained profiling and possibly gave me his sales pitch.  Decided to go ahead and give profiling a shot, he took down my height, weight, etc. and profiled my couple of month old skates.  The difference was super noticeable, I felt completely different on the ice and couldn't believe the difference or how and why it took for me so long to figure out profiling existed and what it could do for one.  About a year after that I came across t-blades, the reviews and opinions seemed positive, so I had the same pro switch me over to t-blades, which apparently had a very similar profile already on them out of the box with the option of the blade I was picking out.  Well all that was another phase of my skating life and learning about skates/steel.  December of 2014 I went back to normal holders/steel when I got new skates yet again.  Had the same guy profile them, still not knowing exactly what kind of profile he was 'putting' on them.  I also started coaching and started to focus and learn extra about all facets of hockey including skate sharpening and what profiling exactly is.  About a year ago I bought my current pair of skates and this time asked what profile is being put on it, which, from what I was told is single 9' radius and what is now my control set.  An engineer in me usually analyses everything that I do, so it's same with skating, I always try to understand how exactly the steel makes contact with the ice, how the depth of the edge cuts into the ice and all the other aspects that contribute to someone staying upright or actually being on the ice.  Although I can't consistently put all of it together and be perfect, I consider myself a pretty good skater that can tell the difference between having an edge or not and beyond.  When I found out about all the different profiles and started researching what they are all about, I reached out ProSharp and was referred to JR, which thankfully brings me here to this project.  Can not wait to try out all the different profiles!

Review - This is my first profile done by JR - going from Single 9' radius.  Took me a couple of skates to be able to fully analyze the profile and I'm actually glad I did skate a couple of times instead of writing a review right away.  Noticed that there really are 3 different zones, don't ask how, but it showed a ton during transitions and basically going from inside to outside edge and from outside to inside.  The issue that I mentioned in my review of my control set practically disappeared, I didn't catch my heel a single time when I transitioned from forward to backward skating.  I didn't notice anything decrease in any of the 4 categories, everything stayed the same or got better.  Front third seemed to give me more acceleration, didn't time it by any means, but felt that I was tad bit faster off the line.  Middle felt similar to what I had with single profile, but I think that's normal.  Back third I believe is where I gained the most, considering I wasn't catching some spot that would cause issues in the past.  Can't wait to try the Quad!

Acceleration - 3 may be even 3.5 - This area noticeably increased

Mobility - 2.5 may be more towards 3 - if part of this category is responsible for the issue i've been having, then definitely went up to 3

Stability - 3.5 - felt very stable, although Stability and Mobility are sort of opposite, but my heel issue going away feels like increase in both areas

Speed - 3 - stayed the same

Next profile will be Quad 0