Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Nickmast

Lightspeed 2 to Edge Holder

On 1/8/2019 at 5:15 PM, Vet88 said:

LS 2.1's are similar to the fusion in profile. Whilst they don't hold an edge as well as Step steel I think they are better than LS2 steel. Last year a pair of training boots I have had 2.1's and the blade cracked on me, I had some LS2 steel as spares, put them on and sharpened them and there was a noticeable difference in the time between sharpens for me.

Maybe I am reading this wrong. The difference between LS2 and LS2.1 is not the grade of steel or even the profile. It's the length of the runner.

On 1/13/2019 at 10:53 AM, stick9 said:

Maybe I am reading this wrong. The difference between LS2 and LS2.1 is not the grade of steel or even the profile. It's the length of the runner.

2.1's are around 5mm longer.

On 1/12/2019 at 1:48 PM, PBH said:

842c3149abe517d2_large.jpeg

resurrecting an old thread: now that 2+ years has gone by since XS introduction, and there has been some real life experience with it, can we get any closer to resolving 'the best holder debate'?
Clearly Edge dominates the market, and with XS there seems to be issues reported where runner clicking is much more pronounced and the dial always loses up one or two clicks, where is the trigger in edge stays in place and the runner sits much tighter in the holder?

1 hour ago, SolarWind said:

resurrecting an old thread: now that 2+ years has gone by since XS introduction, and there has been some real life experience with it, can we get any closer to resolving 'the best holder debate'?
Clearly Edge dominates the market, and with XS there seems to be issues reported where runner clicking is much more pronounced and the dial always loses up one or two clicks, where is the trigger in edge stays in place and the runner sits much tighter in the holder?

XS is a mechanical lock, so I doubt that it is spontaneously loosening a couple clicks.  I have no evidence, but I suspect that people are inadvertently turning the dial a click or two when handling the skates.

I personally prefer the XS holder, but would not have any issues skating on the Edge.  I don't really think one is noticeably better than the other.

2 hours ago, SolarWind said:

where is the trigger in edge stays in place and the runner sits much tighter in the holder?

Lots of complaints about some part of the mechanism in edge holders loosening up, and steel clicking and moving. 

1 hour ago, boo10 said:

XS is a mechanical lock, so I doubt that it is spontaneously loosening a couple clicks.  I have no evidence, but I suspect that people are inadvertently turning the dial a click or two when handling the skates.

LS2 also has a mechanical lock, and much more sounds than XS, and yet even LS2 would loosen up. I'm looking for real life experience vs common sense, since my comment was based on what I heard from an equipment manager.

8 minutes ago, start_today said:

Lots of complaints about some part of the mechanism in edge holders loosening up, and steel clicking and moving. 

are these complains coming from folks constantly swapping runners in and out? The plastic holder is bound to get looser every time.
However with all things being equal Edge generally is much tighter originally, which is why Bauer even ships that tool for prying the runners out vs for XS once the dial is loosened up the blade almost falls out. My 5 yo was able to remove both runners from my brand new CCM skates the other day, and I have to use either the tool or pliers to get the blades out of my other pair of Bauers with Edge.

Just came across this Excellent post that dispels all "urban legends" re holder pitch: 

it confirms that the pitch of Edge hasn’t changed from LS2 (both towers were increased in height by 3mm)
that True holder is the most forward pitched, followed by Edge then XS (which is known to be neutral). 

the only surprise for me was that Cobras which in the past were always regarded as mega forward pitched, were in fact the least aggressive of the modern holders…

Edited by SolarWind
  • Like 2

On 10/19/2021 at 2:42 PM, SolarWind said:

Just came across this Excellent post that dispels all "urban legends" re holder pitch: 

it confirms that the pitch of Edge hasn’t changed from LS2 (both towers were increased in height by 3mm)
that True holder is the most forward pitched, followed by Edge then XS (which is known to be neutral). 

the only surprise for me was that Cobras which in the past were always regarded as mega forward pitched, were in fact the least aggressive of the modern holders…

I always thought the perception of pitch on the Grafs came from the cut of the boot, not the holder? 

As the "equipment manager" for my son, I prefer the XS.  The LS2 is fine, but doing a "hot swap" is a more involved process.  Just the other day, during pre-game warm-up, son was struggling and could tell his edges weren't right.  Came off and I swapped his blades in probably 90 seconds with the XS holder.  Didn't miss a shift.  With his LS2s, that process would have taken much longer and required the tool, instead of just my two hands. 

Haven't noticed any difference in the hold each provides to the blade.  Now, granted this is our first year on the XS and our previous skates with LS2 were outgrown in a season, probably not enough time to significantly loosen the trigger mechanism up. 

As for @boo10 comment on mechanical lock, the benefit to me is that XS is a manually manipulated lock.  You can feel when it is loose and you can adjust it or know you have to replace it.  With the LS2, you pull the trigger, listen for the click and hope for the best.  No way to adjust or manipulate outside of trying to pop-out and re-install if you aren't getting proper engagement.  

• Like 1