Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
macmooie

2019 True heavier than 2016 VH?

I was using the 2016 VH skate with LS2 and step steel, prior to them merging with True. Best skates I ever purchased. These got worn out and in Dec 2018 I bought a new pair of VH skates with the True holder. I noticed these new VH skates by True are drastically heavier than previous VH skates. Is the weight difference a result of the True holder? B/c if is I’m going to switch back to the LS2. Thx

14 minutes ago, macmooie said:

I was using the 2016 VH skate with LS2 and step steel, prior to them merging with True. Best skates I ever purchased. These got worn out and in Dec 2018 I bought a new pair of VH skates with the True holder. I noticed these new VH skates by True are drastically heavier than previous VH skates. Is the weight difference a result of the True holder? B/c if is I’m going to switch back to the LS2. Thx

The holder and large Step steel are where the weight mostly comes from. If you change to the Tuuk with LS2 the weight will be almost the same. 

4 hours ago, macmooie said:

Just to clarify, there was no merger.

Seems to me a lot more material used on true vs vh. Vh was all leather like material but true has what looks something like rubber ... 

5 hours ago, Giltis said:

@Nicholas G Now that my 2019 Trues are ordered, would it be worth waiting for the XS Holder or swapping for the LS2 right away?

I'd wait... Even with the carbon outsole you don't really want to keep re riveting the skate if you don't have to. You risk causing the holes to get slightly larger each time. Also, with the ls2, you're going to have to drill a hole in the boot for steel replacement.

The true holders aren't bad. Skate on it for a few mths and then swap.it to the xs if you don't like it. You might actually be pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 1

Double check the mounting patterns, you may not need to drill different holes.

I'd hold off on jumping to the XS holder. Let them work the bugs out first. I know the next posts will say it's being tested in the NHL but so was the LS Edge holder and countless other items that had issues when they first went to retail.

IMO, just toss some edge holder with Step or Tydan and be done with it. 

36 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Have you skated on a CCM holder and liked it?

Yes, I have. Been testing a pre-released version of CCM skates and also have the holders currently on my True skates too. Been talking to Tyler @Flare Skate Blade about getting some pre-released Flare for the XS holder too so I can start testing that as well.  

13 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Have you skated on a CCM holder and liked it?

I have nothing else to compare it to really, I've been skating on Eastons as a young kid, but I've been on CCMs for a long while now (K-Series and then Tacks mid/upper-mid), I've no idea on how the Bauer trigger system feels like. But I think I will at least try the stock holders for a bit.

14 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Yes, I have. Been testing a pre-released version of CCM skates and also have the holders currently on my True skates too. Been talking to Tyler @Flare Skate Blade about getting some pre-released Flare for the XS holder too so I can start testing that as well.  

That's cool and all, but I didn't quote you - I asked the member (Giltis) I quoted, because he's the one considering them.

@Giltis - that's good that you already skate on them.  Don't rock the boat.

I just got my 2019 True skates back from the hockey shop. I swapped the True holder with LS2/Step Steel and the weight was drastically and noticeably lowered. They’re a hair heavier than my previous 2016 VH skates. Conclusion: most of the addition weight as compared to the 2016 VH skate is a result of the True holder. Mounting holes were unchanged.

9 hours ago, macmooie said:

I just got my 2019 True skates back from the hockey shop. I swapped the True holder with LS2/Step Steel and the weight was drastically and noticeably lowered. They’re a hair heavier than my previous 2016 VH skates. Conclusion: most of the addition weight as compared to the 2016 VH skate is a result of the True holder. Mounting holes were unchanged.

Prob lost some weight with the holes made to access the bolt for the ls2 holders too 😁

3 hours ago, macmooie said:

The guy doing my skates told me the LS2 and True rivet holes are in the same place, no new holes were needed

He meant the hole under the heel to access the runner bolt on the LS2 holders.

On 1/25/2019 at 2:04 PM, macmooie said:

I am trying to get my arms around this statement... Can we back up and unpack this?  Did you weigh each setup?  I'd like to see pictures to back up how much " Drastically " is.  It's not a unit of measurement I am familiar with.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Zac911 said:

I am trying to get my arms around this statement... Can we back up and unpack this?  Did you weigh each setup?  I'd like to see pictures to back up how much " Drastically " is.  It's not a unit of measurement I am familiar with.

As someone that has weighed every brand of steel and holder, I don't think the statement that macmoonie made is correct. When I tested the LS holder with STEP it was only a few grams lighter. The only significant weight saving over the TRUE/VH holder with STEP steel was with the LS Edge holders and LS2 steel or Byonic steel. 

Easy enough to check. Put each holder and steel on the scale (in his size) and grab some pics of the weights and post the results. Shit, if I had access the parts I'd do it myself.

2 hours ago, stick9 said:

Easy enough to check. Put each holder and steel on the scale (in his size) and grab some pics of the weights and post the results. Shit, if I had access the parts I'd do it myself.

Pretty much my point.  LS2/Tuuk Holder I am certain would be lighter since LS2 is much lower grade steel and not nearly as tall-  Most pro's are on STEP Steel,  so comparing LS2/Tuuk to the STEP/TRUE holder is not an Apples to Apples comparison.  I would like to see the weight of LS3/Tuuk compared to STEP/TRUE Holders.  Or even the Tuuk vs TRUE holder as the OP claims the TRUE holder is DRASTICALLY heavier.  I would like to know what that number is and why it's so signficant that a player cannot overcome this perceived drastic performance inhibitor.

Edited by Zac911
  • Like 1