Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
yychockey

ProSharp Quad Profile Recommendation?

I’m wondering what ProSharp quad profile would be the best starting point for myself? I’ve read a lot about the quad options and I think 0.5 would likely be the best but unfortunately it seems like the shops in the area have the 0, 1, and 2 templates but not the 0.5. 

I’m 6’0”, 190 lbs, 33 years old and have been playing most of my life, typically as a winger. I’m not an amazing skater but I’m pretty decent. I just ordered some True skates and they’ll have either 272 or 280 runners depending on what “size” they make the skates as. 

Thoughts on whether to start with quad 0, 1, or 2? For what it’s worth I’ve never profiled before and have always used my Bauer, Graf, or CCM steel as is from the box. 

I'm also curious for the exact same reason (True skates, 280 runners), except that I'm a bit lighter (175 lbs) and a bit older. I've been on 10' for most of my life, with the last two years on 9'.

2 hours ago, yychockey said:

I’m wondering what ProSharp quad profile would be the best starting point for myself? I’ve read a lot about the quad options and I think 0.5 would likely be the best but unfortunately it seems like the shops in the area have the 0, 1, and 2 templates but not the 0.5. 

I’m 6’0”, 190 lbs, 33 years old and have been playing most of my life, typically as a winger. I’m not an amazing skater but I’m pretty decent. I just ordered some True skates and they’ll have either 272 or 280 runners depending on what “size” they make the skates as. 

Thoughts on whether to start with quad 0, 1, or 2? For what it’s worth I’ve never profiled before and have always used my Bauer, Graf, or CCM steel as is from the box. 

I would not alter anything until after you get the skates and try using them first. Its never good to make too many changes at once. After using them a few times you should be able to determine what works or possibly doesn't and use that to make a decision on what profile you might want to apply. We sell a lot of TRUE custom skates and some players end up liking the factory 10' profile and don't require adjustments. Some people only require a pitch adjustment, others like a single radius, 12' for example, while others end up with a triple or quad profile. I like to go and watch players skate, when possible, before making profile suggestions unless they know specifically where they feel an adjustment is needed and can convey it accurately.  

• Like 1

I read somewhere that after profiling skates should be regularly sharpened on a ProSharp machine to avoid having the profile ruined. This isn’t an issue as my LHS has a ProSharp machine. However, I typically get a FBV sharpening. Can I have a ProSharp quad profile done and continue to get FBV sharpening without ruining the profile?

I'd see if a local shop could check your skates and identify about where you're at now. If the blades are

older and have been sharpened a bunch they are probably not very close to what was original.

Then as already suggested skate on your new ones a bit and see what you think.

My old blades when new were profiled to a 10/13 combo....after years of use and sharpening

they checked about 7.5 to 8 feet at the front and about 9 foot at the rear.

Dave

29 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

If the sharpener doing the FBV is competent, you’ll be fine. 

Do note that profiles should be refreshed often. Most people think it’s an “one and done” deal. 

Is there a guideline as to how often they should be refreshed, i.e. every 10, 20, 50, etc. sharpenings?

17 hours ago, yychockey said:

Is there a guideline as to how often they should be refreshed, i.e. every 10, 20, 50, etc. sharpenings?

NHL equipment managers interviewed by Sparx stated they reprofile approximately every 15 sharpenings. Though, if you get sharpened on a ProSharp or Sparx it will help maintain the profile. 

OP, I was kinda in the same boat as you - picked up Super Tacks two weeks ago and had them done as a Quad 1 - been playing for 15 years or so and never had my skates profiled, always skated on the stock radius. Definitely took a most of a game to get adjusted to the new jets and profile, but I think it was well worth it, and don't see myself going back to anything else any time soon. Of course, your mileage may vary.

On 1/24/2019 at 10:47 AM, Nicholas G said:

NHL equipment managers interviewed by Sparx stated they reprofile approximately every 15 sharpenings. Though, if you get sharpened on a ProSharp or Sparx it will help maintain the profile. 

Nick,

Sorry I disagree.  Both machines will take more toe and heel off than a compitant sharpener.  IMO  

• Like 1

On 1/25/2019 at 9:15 PM, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Nick,

Sorry I disagree.  Both machines will take more toe and heel off than a compitant sharpener.  IMO  

That would only be if you set the wheel to enage the toe or heel aggressively. 

• Like 1

I have never had my skates profiled but figured it would be 10-15 sharpenings MAX before the intended profile would be lost, particularly with how aggressive I have seen some hand sharpeners go after the toe and heel. Some get really, really rounded.

3 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Let's go ahead and get this topic back on track. 

Yes, agree with that. Nicholas, I know you suggested to try the new skates with the out of the box profile but I'd like to try out this quad profile out of interest. If it feels bad, I'll just try something else or go back to the stock radius. You seem to know the most about Prosharp profiles of anyone around here. If I am going to go ahead and try one, would you suggest the quad 0, 1 or 2 to start? Thanks.

1 hour ago, yychockey said:

Yes, agree with that. Nicholas, I know you suggested to try the new skates with the out of the box profile but I'd like to try out this quad profile out of interest. If it feels bad, I'll just try something else or go back to the stock radius. You seem to know the most about Prosharp profiles of anyone around here. If I am going to go ahead and try one, would you suggest the quad 0, 1 or 2 to start? Thanks.

See dk Miller's post at the beginning of the thread. There's a program through MSH where you can try different ones.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2019 at 4:29 PM, dkmiller3356 said:

This is a question that takes trial and error to answer.  Check out the ProSharp Project right here on MSH and if you put in the time I am sure you will find what works best for you.

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/forum/191-the-prosharp-project/

1 hour ago, yychockey said:

CLICK THE LINK ABOVE

6 minutes ago, dkmiller3356 said:

CLICK THE LINK ABOVE

I’ve read everything in the Prosharp section, and I’m aware of the current MSH offering regarding trying different Prosharp profiles. It’s a great idea but not practical living in Calgary to buy 3 sets of steel and ship them back and forth to the United States. We have very good shops in the city, so It makes more sense to have them profiled at my LHS and then have them reprofiled if I want to try something different. That’s why I asked Nicholas what he’d suggest as a starting profile, given he seems to be an expert regarding Prosharp. 

With triple and quad radii, steel size usually dictates which to start out with. You’re in a weird spot. If you get 272, do Zero. If 280, do 1. 

I’ve only been operating a Prosharp for a few months, but have been working on skates since 2000. Hope that carries enough weight...

13 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

With triple and quad radii, steel size usually dictates which to start out with. You’re in a weird spot. If you get 272, do Zero. If 280, do 1. 

I’ve only been operating a Prosharp for a few months, but have been working on skates since 2000. Hope that carries enough weight...

Thanks, JR. I signed up with a new account on here recently, but have been on this site since for around a decade and always appreciate your posts.