Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
nyr386

Graf PK4700

24 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

@Miller55 incredibly helpful.  And certainly way more detail than I provided. 

Makes me wonder if a 705 or 709 might be a nice fit for me, in addition to the 535 I already have.  I need the narrow heel, so if a 0 is a narrower heel than a 3, it might be worth trying on. 

Possibly, but it's also proportionate to the forefoot. So the 0 heel on a 709 is not the same 0 heel as a 703. Meaning that 0 is a standard heel, and will be proportionate to the forefoot fit, so the 0 heel of the 709 is a drop deeper and a bit wider than the heel of a 703. This is one of the reasons that Graf had a hard time selling, because the only way to know the best fit is to try on a bunch. That means stores have to carry all of that stock.

Your other option is to go Grafs customs and get sized by a very good pro who has a lot of experience with Graf. There's one near where I used to live who was excellent and put me immediately into a 707, which was a great fit for me. 

17 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

Possibly, but it's also proportionate to the forefoot. So the 0 heel on a 709 is not the same 0 heel as a 703. Meaning that 0 is a standard heel, and will be proportionate to the forefoot fit, so the 0 heel of the 709 is a drop deeper and a bit wider than the heel of a 703. This is one of the reasons that Graf had a hard time selling, because the only way to know the best fit is to try on a bunch. That means stores have to carry all of that stock.

Your other option is to go Grafs customs and get sized by a very good pro who has a lot of experience with Graf. There's one near where I used to live who was excellent and put me immediately into a 707, which was a great fit for me. 

Got it, so not like 0 is the same width heel across all models.  Oh, that really is a pain. 

Not sure custom is in my future, unless I really start skating a lot more.  We'll see.  I do really like my experience with Graf so far, so I would definitely consider it if it came to that.

Wow, I feel like Graf hugely missed the boat by not making that number fit data more easily accessible. That seems like a level or retail dialing-in that people might have loved. Instead, I feel like their marketing was more like, “well, our QC isn’t all that bad.” 

1 hour ago, krisdrum said:

Got it, so not like 0 is the same width heel across all models.  Oh, that really is a pain. 

Not sure custom is in my future, unless I really start skating a lot more.  We'll see.  I do really like my experience with Graf so far, so I would definitely consider it if it came to that.

Right. I hear that. My point was just that Graf still has all the lasts, but the only skates that are in production are the ones posted above, so if you want something else you have to order custom or take a chance with an old stock pair on eBay or something, without trying on

57 minutes ago, start_today said:

Wow, I feel like Graf hugely missed the boat by not making that number fit data more easily accessible. That seems like a level or retail dialing-in that people might have loved. Instead, I feel like their marketing was more like, “well, our QC isn’t all that bad.” 

100% agree. They could have done a lot. Their custom program is epic though

18 hours ago, Miller55 said:

100% agree. They could have done a lot. Their custom program is epic though

Yeah, their custom is amazing.  My brother-in-law shattered his ankle in a game years ago, really bad injury.  After he recovered nothing retail would fit him.  He has a pair of custom 709s that he has been using ever since and they still look almost new and he tries to skate at least a few times a week.

• Like 1

Why do those have Tuuks on them?  Definitely not spec from the factory unless they are custom and even then, not sure Graf would do the mounting. 

Edited by krisdrum

4 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Why do those have Tuuks on them?  Definitely not spec from the factory unless they are custom and even then, not sure Graf would do the mounting. 

Yet they're mounted with RMS, adding to the mystery.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, krisdrum said:

35 minutes ago, flip12 said:

Yet they're mounted with RMS, adding to the mystery.

And why go through the trouble of switching holders, only to put garbage steel on them? 😂

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, boo10 said:

And why go through the trouble of switching holders, only to put garbage steel on them? 😂

At least you can shoot the runners straight into the recycling!

• Haha 1

I just bought 2 PK4700s new from play it again sports for 150.00 each. I've been having an incredible hard time going to the fit and footbed of modern skates coming from a mid 90s Bauer Supreme 2000 which I simply loved and for some reason got rid of. It did not wear down. The Bauer Supremes fit nothing like what I was use to . I bought the Bauer Supreme Elite and could not do anything in them.

On a whim I tried out the Grafs and it feels like old school skates. So I grabbed 2 because I never want to go thru hockey skate shopping again. 

I don't find it narrow in the heel like a Vapor I have no problem at all putting my foot in it. Vapors are pure misery for me.