Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
beerleaguecaptain

When Did You Get Bored With Acquiring New Hockey Gear?

What I found more interesting is that Crosby and Ovechkin use the same gear that they've had for years and the only changes appear to be new straps, shoulder caps that meet the the league regulations, etc.

• Like 1

Cool to see this thread come back...

I find myself in an interesting spot...  I keep looking at EBay and Sideline swap but I never buy....  I looked for shoulder pads for a bit but couldn't find anything else I liked more. Repacked a whole bunch of sticks this year tho.  The mot fun I had was when one of my teams git new jerseys so I went all out on new shel, gloves and helmet.  Oh, the joy!!!

I guess in terms of protective I am just satisfied.  Sad.  Ironic isn't it....

Howdy,

2 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

Cool to see this thread come back...

I find myself in an interesting spot...  I keep looking at EBay and Sideline swap but I never buy....  I looked for shoulder pads for a bit but couldn't find anything else I liked more. Repacked a whole bunch of sticks this year tho.  The mot fun I had was when one of my teams git new jerseys so I went all out on new shel, gloves and helmet.  Oh, the joy!!!

I guess in terms of protective I am just satisfied.  Sad.  Ironic isn't it....

Did you ever find that green shell you were looking for?

I've mostly settled in on what I like at this point, after playing for four years.  I still keep an eye out for gloves / pant shells I don't have / are a deal.  And I'm a total sucker for socks with sublimated designs.  The main thing that reigns me in is that I'm kinda cheap, so I never want to pay retail.  Though if Warrior would let me customize gloves with the full QRE flex cuff, I might be in some trouble... 🙂

In terms of sticks, I'm consciously no longer messing with curves / whatever and trying to just give myself consistency.  I'm bummed that the P30 never took off as I really really liked it, but being locked into CCM made bargain hunting pretty hard.  I decided to just go with the Sakic curve and live with it.

New helmet tech also gets my attention.

I guess maybe its not so much that I've lost interest as at this point there doesn't seem to be a lot of real innovation and I'm over my initial gear learning curve.

Mark

2 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Did you ever find that green shell you were looking for?

I've mostly settled in on what I like at this point, after playing for four years.  I still keep an eye out for gloves / pant shells I don't have / are a deal.  And I'm a total sucker for socks with sublimated designs.  The main thing that reigns me in is that I'm kinda cheap, so I never want to pay retail.  Though if Warrior would let me customize gloves with the full QRE flex cuff, I might be in some trouble... 🙂

In terms of sticks, I'm consciously no longer messing with curves / whatever and trying to just give myself consistency.  I'm bummed that the P30 never took off as I really really liked it, but being locked into CCM made bargain hunting pretty hard.  I decided to just go with the Sakic curve and live with it.

New helmet tech also gets my attention.

I guess maybe its not so much that I've lost interest as at this point there doesn't seem to be a lot of real innovation and I'm over my initial gear learning curve.

Mark

Yea took a bit but HM finally restocked the Bauer shell so I jumped on it.  Thanks!

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 8:47 AM, the iceman said:

What I found more interesting is that Crosby and Ovechkin use the same gear that they've had for years and the only changes appear to be new straps, shoulder caps that meet the the league regulations, etc.

That's like 90% of the current high level players. They find what they like and only change if there is absolutely no other option. 

I think some of the younger players are open to changing gear more often. I think it's also because gear is easier to break in now than in the past. 

• Like 1

Over the past two years since I started playing again I have replaced some needed gear so I get into it when deciding on what I need and then I am good.  I tend to still browse a lot of gloves because pro stock stuff have some cool patterns but for now I just have a pair of Nexus for playing and the same pair for coaching.

I never thought I'd see the day, but I'm pretty much "over it" when it comes to acquiring new equipment. As well as stuff that I had sought out for years prior.

I still play 3-4x a week, and still love playing. However, my appetite to have the latest and greatest, as well as acquiring prized pieces from my past has all but diminished. 

The new stuff is all too similar to each other across any brand for the most part. Nothing changes all that much between retail cycles, and the nuances we used to have with all the different retail brands just isn't there any more. In other words- retail is boring nowadays to me. Pro stock stuff isn't holding its attention either these days. 

Now I buy out of necessity, as opposed to want.

The last piece of equipment I got really happy about was a pair of old stock Eagle 4 rolls that I found in the back of a local shop about 15 months ago.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When one realizes you cannot blame your gear on your mistakes anymore, then buying new gear stops becoming fun.

Seriously though, for me it was just about comfort. I do not like being distracted by gear that fits me funny when playing ice hockey (or riding motorcycles). It just requires perfect focus to succeed in ice hockey, I find, and stuff that fits or feels funny just drags focus away.