Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Girdle shell alterations?

Been using the Warrior QRE girdle and love it but the shell doesn't fit as tailored as I would prefer. I was wondering if there are any third party shells that are more form-fitting or if I should just get the shell tailored. 

Is the shell the same size as the girdle?

I've been using a size large Projekt girdle with a medium Dynasty shell and fit is spot on to my liking.

ps. I know the Projekt is an older model but by the looks of it/them they haven't changed much through the years.

Edited by pardelius

Love this question I was wearing a large synergy girdle and large shell till it was recently stolen.  I was considering switching to pants for a more tailored fit because I didn’t like how baggy the shell was but everything I try on pants wise doesn’t fit as tight as I’m used to wearing.

2 hours ago, pardelius said:

Is the shell the same size as the girdle?

I've been using a size large Projekt girdle with a medium Dynasty shell and fit is spot on to my liking.

ps. I know the Projekt is an older model but by the looks of it/them they haven't changed much through the years.

The shell and girdle are the same size, Senior Medium. I tried to use a Senior Small and there was no way it would work at all. 

7 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

The shell and girdle are the same size, Senior Medium. I tried to use a Senior Small and there was no way it would work at all. 

In that case I stand corrected. Maybe the shell has slimmed down since the Dynasty days...

1 hour ago, pardelius said:

In that case I stand corrected. Maybe the shell has slimmed down since the Dynasty days...

Perhaps, I think I will bring it to the local tailor and she what she might be able to do. 

• Like 2

Maybe try one of the new Tacks girdle shells?  I have a small pro stock one that I wear with my medium girdle and it is a much more tailored fit than my other shells which are all medium (Both Warrior and CCM shells).  The Tacks one has a length adjustment which I let out and helped with the length.

The Bauer (Currently Nexus) shells are very well made and well shaped, I've found. A lot of other shells don't follow the contours of a girdle or pair of pants very well, and the zipped legs are great if you want a bit more space around the thigh.

3 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

Maybe try one of the new Tacks girdle shells?  I have a small pro stock one that I wear with my medium girdle and it is a much more tailored fit than my other shells which are all medium (Both Warrior and CCM shells).  The Tacks one has a length adjustment which I let out and helped with the length.

1 hour ago, colins said:

The Bauer (Currently Nexus) shells are very well made and well shaped, I've found. A lot of other shells don't follow the contours of a girdle or pair of pants very well, and the zipped legs are great if you want a bit more space around the thigh.

My big thing is I want the velcro tabs that hook on to the girdle. I think Bauer has these but CCM does not. Can you confirm? 

2 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

My big thing is I want the velcro tabs that hook on to the girdle. I think Bauer has these but CCM does not. Can you confirm? 

It's the reverse actually, the CCM shell that comes with the Super Tacks girdle has velcro. It also has additional padding around the hip/kidney area. The Bauer has no extra padding and no velcro and the belt is right at the top of the shell, tightening just below the kidney/hip pads on the girdle (or pants if you put it over regular pants).

You could stitch some velcro to the Bauer's without a lot of work though.

The Bauers just seem to disappear when wearing them - once the belt is tightened you just forget they are there. Which I think is why I prefer them to any other shell I've worn.

colins

4 hours ago, colins said:

It's the reverse actually, the CCM shell that comes with the Super Tacks girdle has velcro. It also has additional padding around the hip/kidney area. The Bauer has no extra padding and no velcro and the belt is right at the top of the shell, tightening just below the kidney/hip pads on the girdle (or pants if you put it over regular pants).

You could stitch some velcro to the Bauer's without a lot of work though.

The Bauers just seem to disappear when wearing them - once the belt is tightened you just forget they are there. Which I think is why I prefer them to any other shell I've worn.

colins

Interesting, I had the S190 pant and the MX3 and those shells had velcro, from what I can recall, so I assumed it was still the same. 

14 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Interesting, I had the S190 pant and the MX3 and those shells had velcro, from what I can recall, so I assumed it was still the same. 

Yeah the S190 shell is very similar to the CCM Super Tacks shell - velcro and extra beltline protection. 

The classic Supreme / Nexus shell that you can buy stand-alone is a more simple design, and the couple of team shells I have based on it are the type I was referring. No extra protection and no velcro. Very simple and very good at the same time, great shape/contour and fit and very comfortable.

colins

My recommendation is to go with a lower of a 2-piece pant.  And you want to go down a size as well.

The Nexus shells are pant shells.  The newer Supreme shells are girdle shells, and will have velcro in 3 spots; do they match up to Warrior, that I can't confirm.

1 hour ago, JR Boucicaut said:

My recommendation is to go with a lower of a 2-piece pant.  And you want to go down a size as well.

The Nexus shells are pant shells.  The newer Supreme shells are girdle shells, and will have velcro in 3 spots; do they match up to Warrior, that I can't confirm.

I’ve used a Dynasty girdle with NXG/MX3 shells and the attachment points line up perfectly.

As a long-time girdle wearer, I've never actually owned a "girdle shell" (if I understand correctly that these are the padded variety) - all the shells I have were bought were from the days where the only shells I could find were the baggy/unpadded variety (which I understand to now be branded as "pant shells"?). 

Curious in the conversation about mixing and matching sizes where folks have run into fit issues - i.e. length or waist?

Also, are the velcro tabs on shells designed to work with only newer girdles (i.e., do newer girdles have velcro tabs to attach to a shell), or do velcro tabs simply latch onto the girdle material?  I've only ever worn older shells that simply used a belt as colins describes.

17 hours ago, colins said:

The Bauer has no extra padding and no velcro and the belt is right at the top of the shell, tightening just below the kidney/hip pads on the girdle (or pants if you put it over regular pants).

10 hours ago, JSK81 said:

I’ve used a Dynasty girdle with NXG/MX3 shells and the attachment points line up perfectly.

Did you find the Warrior girdle shells to be more form-fitting or loose than the Bauers? 

3 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Did you find the Warrior girdle shells to be more form-fitting or loose than the Bauers? 

Fit is pretty much the same but Bauer shells run a size smaller. Had to wear a size L shell with a medium NXG girdle too.

On 2/9/2019 at 12:02 PM, bl4 said:

As a long-time girdle wearer, I've never actually owned a "girdle shell" (if I understand correctly that these are the padded variety) - all the shells I have were bought were from the days where the only shells I could find were the baggy/unpadded variety (which I understand to now be branded as "pant shells"?). 

Curious in the conversation about mixing and matching sizes where folks have run into fit issues - i.e. length or waist?

Also, are the velcro tabs on shells designed to work with only newer girdles (i.e., do newer girdles have velcro tabs to attach to a shell), or do velcro tabs simply latch onto the girdle material?  I've only ever worn older shells that simply used a belt as colins describes.

The shells come in different cuts... the pant style ones like Nexus are a more boxy roomy fit to work well over pants, a girdle shell is generally a bit more fitted and sometimes has additional padding in the kidney area or a very thin piece of soft foam padding behind the thigh depending on the model (not sure exactly what this one does, it's far too thin to be protective and most girdles already have some protection there).  Some of the fancier new girdle shells have velcro to attach to loops on some girdles, they're not necessary but some people like them (I come from the time before these and tried them once and haven't bothered since, the velcro closure on the front of the shell and the belt hold things up just fine and this way I can slide the shell on/off 1-2-3).

As for the CCM Tacks shell... it has the velcro loops and also has some padding in the kidney area but it is all soft padding, the older 9K style shells went higher up and had plastic inserts in the kidney area.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SuperdaveHR said:

I have a warrior qre girdle size large. I tried putting on pp90 shell, and felt they ran a little too long. Would pp90 shell medium work? Or bauer nxg shell medium work?

All depends on your waist and where you lie between a 6 pack and a keg 😅 a medium works length wise just as long as you can fit your waist in it which shouldn't be an issue unless you're more of a keg belly lol  The PP90 has a pretty generous cut, also I've noticed a medium PP90 isn't always the same as another medium PP90... I just got a new Kings PP90 and it's longer than my other PP90's, it's not marked as a longer model but it feels bigger than the others, so I guess depending when and where they were made there could be slight differences (and maybe that's why some end up at PSH and on the second hand market).

• Thanks 1

New Sherwood girdle looks legit. Has spender buttons that also hold the shell in place. Looks like it's out of stock in some sizes, though. 

Anyone try this out, yet? I hate regular pants, but most shells are mangy looking. Bauer 2s pro shells were great (with the velcro) but are all sold-out never to be seen again. 

13 hours ago, birky said:

I saw the new Sherwood girdle and it looks nice but I don't think it's a true wraparound style, which stinks. 

I grew up waring girdles and when the wraparound fad came about I could never get into it, tried a few pairs but always ended up selling them and going back to traditional styled girdles.  I'm now in a Super Tacks which is sort of like a hybrid, I wish it was more traditional with less straps but once I step in and adjust it's nice and comfy.

16 hours ago, birky said:

I saw the new Sherwood girdle and it looks nice but I don't think it's a true wraparound style, which stinks. 

Lol I don't know what the wraparound style is. Fill me in.