Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Hi!

About a year ago I've seen some pics of mr. Putin playing hockey with a weird jaw protector under his half shield.

Seems like it is less cumbersome than traditional Bauer combo (half shield + mask) and a more breathable than a full face shield like Concept III.The mounting points location is pretty interesting, too.

There was absolutely no info on the internet that I could find about this piece of equipment. The chin cup+strap is definetely from Bauer, but seems like it was added to the jaw protector later, cause there are no such pieces in any Bauer catalog.

Several weeks ago I have seen a guy in my beer league rocking the same exact piece. I asked him where did he get it, he told that his friend brought him one from his trip to Canada. He stated that this protector + half shield is much more comfortable and lighter than a combo or a full cage.

Maybe some of you could provide me some info about it? Manufacturer, product name, price, sizing, etc.

Thanks!

1kFCepY.jpg

RfkCu8a.jpg

Edited by MrSinevich
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

That thing is uglllyyyyy

Yes but he is the President of the country, and quite old, so what did you expect? 

On 2/13/2019 at 2:43 PM, Vet88 said:

Avision have a new Zero Plus combo mask coming out soon, full 3" lens. It doesn't look the lightest but you will know it is rock solid in protection and the lens they use is good and the anti fog works well. http://hockeyfaceshields.com/

Interesting they don't do the full poly mask for adults anymore. Their original mask was GREAT. Their second version fogged up like crazy. And now they only have the combos. Nice to see they're increasing the shield size on the Zero Plus though. The current version is tiny. 

Still think I'll stick with a cage though. 

On another note, I actually like the one Vladdy is sporting. Lets you use any shield you want or are used to, and you just add the chicklets protector in addition. It's ugly AF but may be a better option than a combo for the guys who are used to wearing just a visor. 

I've seen this mask on Russian classifieds website avito.ru. Costs 6000 roubles, which is slightly less than 100 USD. Don't know if the guy that sells it (and as I suppose makes) will ship it internationally

Edited by Bolgar

@Left Wing King how would you go about making it yourself?

I have done a few cage -> combo conversions in the past, but this one here looks a little more complex. The cage extends back fully towards the rear clips and is fixed together with the visor at the temples, so not hinged on the front two screws like regular cages.

Thinking about it, the visor looks fully mounted to the helmet, while the cage only mounts to the rear clips and the lower of the temple holes - do you guys think the rear one can be undone so one can easily get the helmet on and off? Getting a regular helmet + cage on without opening the rear clips is horrible at least for me.

Get a normal cage, cut the top half off, Dremell it smooth. Then for the mounting to the rear, if you were going cheap you could get a wire coat hanger bend it round, cut to length, a couple of welds and you have the loop. 

To me it looks like it just hooks onto the inside of the helmet where the visor is mounted.

Howdy,

It looks possible that the right side of the jaw protector doesn't have the vertical stabilizer that the left side has.  If that's the case, the rear mount point on the right could be a snap, which would let you unsnap it to pull it out a bit from your face, to let your head in there easier.

Obviously some better pictures would help.

Mark

2 hours ago, Left Wing King said:

Get a normal cage, cut the top half off, Dremell it smooth. Then for the mounting to the rear, if you were going cheap you could get a wire coat hanger bend it round, cut to length, a couple of welds and you have the loop. 

To me it looks like it just hooks onto the inside of the helmet where the visor is mounted.

LOL it’s funny when DIY stuff is way WAY more effort than it’s worth

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Left Wing King said:

You always get more satisfaction from DIY projects 😛

I get way more satisfaction knowing I didn’t waste my time  lol 

Thanks for the detailed pics. Interesting that Putins version has a chin cup attached while the basic model appears to be without (or the seller not wanting to put a branded part on display).