Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
xstartxtodayx

LS Edge Holders Rattle inside?

I searched but only found topics dealing with clicking from the blade, this is not that. 

The other night after a game I was hanging my gear up to dry and noticed a rattle sound in one skate, I thought I had a broken rivet inside the boot so I checked but found nothing.  I realized the sound was coming from the back section of the LS Edge holder, it sounds like something inside broke off and is rattling around.  I popped my blade off to see if I could see anything or get it out from where the blade pops in but no luck.  I popped the blade back in and everything feels ok (I had just played back to back nights with no issues, no hard contact to the skates from what I recall).  Anyone have any idea what it could be inside there before I trek to the closest pro shop to have them take it apart and inspect?  For reference I have the last gen X700 and have had Step Blacksteel in them for about a year, haven't had any issues over the course of owning these skates aside from a couple of loose rivets up in the toe area.

Thanks for any insight.

38 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

And the trigger is still snappy?

There’s only a couple of parts in there; there is a small set screw though. Wonder if that’s it. 

Yeah, it could be that screw but I think if that screw comes out the trigger would feel very loose. 

It felt pretty stiff still but I'll compare to the other skate when I get home.  It sounds like something about the size of a screw, my first thought was a rivet head but I'm pretty sure it's physically impossible for that to fall in there, just wasn't sure what sort of hardware was inside.

13 minutes ago, xstartxtodayx said:

It felt pretty stiff still but I'll compare to the other skate when I get home.  It sounds like something about the size of a screw, my first thought was a rivet head but I'm pretty sure it's physically impossible for that to fall in there, just wasn't sure what sort of hardware was inside.

There is a tin screw with an allen head. Its used to put pressure on the mechanism which regulates the tension on the trigger. What sucks is the only way to check is to unmount the holders unless you want to drill a hole in the heel of the skate. 😞 

OK double checked, the trigger on the one with the rattle is much easier to pull than the other skate, also now it seems I can't get the blade to lock back in the holder.  Looks like I'll be making my way to the shop, hoping they're open today (we have some snow coming today and where I live people panic at the first flurry), then hopefully I can get it fixed up in time for my game tomorrow night.

5 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

OK double checked, the trigger on the one with the rattle is much easier to pull than the other skate, also now it seems I can't get the blade to lock back in the holder.  Looks like I'll be making my way to the shop, hoping they're open today (we have some snow coming today and where I live people panic at the first flurry), then hopefully I can get it fixed up in time for my game tomorrow night.

It should take them no longer than an hour min to remove the rivets, install a new set screw (assuming the holder didn't break) and rivet it back up. 

You guys were right, it was the set screw.  I dropped it off today and they called maybe 2 hours later to tell me it was all done (it's a small skate shop in a 2 rink complex with 1 guy working), $2 per rivet was the charge so $28 total.  Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Wow I need to up my prices. 

10 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

I was thinking the same thing. lol

haha, it's prob more of a supply and demand thing too.  Where I live, Long Island, NY (pop. about 8 million people), I can probably count all of the hockey stores/shops with my fingers, then when you subtract the ones you wouldn't even trust to sharpen a pair of skates you only need one hand to count.  The few good stores are small and the cost of living and running a store in this area is astronomical so naturally we pay more for most services, but something like this I'll gladly pay $28 for to know it was done right (also for comparison, every place charges $10 for sharpenings, this place is one of the few that does FBV and that's $15, I'm sure that's more than a lot of other areas charge).

Howdy,

The "local" Pure around here is now $2 per rivet or eyelet as well.  Used to be free if you were just getting a couple done.

Progress!  🙂

Mark

Just for curiosity, sounds like this job should take maybe 45 minutes to 1 hour total ? I don't know, asking.

If so $28 is really cheap, I mean REALLY cheap!  Anybody with a actual store and all the overhead

associated with it needs to be more like $ 75 to $85  per hour minimum for service type stuff.

Dave

48 minutes ago, Dave P said:

Just for curiosity, sounds like this job should take maybe 45 minutes to 1 hour total ? I don't know, asking.

If so $28 is really cheap, I mean REALLY cheap!  Anybody with a actual store and all the overhead

associated with it needs to be more like $ 75 to $85  per hour minimum for service type stuff.

Dave

I agree with Dave, society needs to understand that people running small businesses aren’t doing it as a charity. $28 bucks is fine, 8-10 rivets for this job? What’s he actually charging for an hour labour? Props to the OP for getting that. 

Edited by Dasbeardo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

haha, it's prob more of a supply and demand thing too.  Where I live, Long Island, NY (pop. about 8 million people), I can probably count all of the hockey stores/shops with my fingers, then when you subtract the ones you wouldn't even trust to sharpen a pair of skates you only need one hand to count.  The few good stores are small and the cost of living and running a store in this area is astronomical so naturally we pay more for most services, but something like this I'll gladly pay $28 for to know it was done right (also for comparison, every place charges $10 for sharpenings, this place is one of the few that does FBV and that's $15, I'm sure that's more than a lot of other areas charge).

Eric, guess you went to the Rinx eh?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dasbeardo said:

I agree with Dave, society needs to understand that people running small businesses aren’t doing it as a charity. $28 bucks is fine, 8-10 rivets for this job? What’s he actually charging for an hour labour? Props to the OP for getting that. 

14 rivets. He was charged $2 a rivet.  Or $1 to install and $1 to remove. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2019 at 1:40 PM, dkmiller3356 said:

Eric, guess you went to the Rinx eh?

Yea The Rinx is the only place I go since it's the closest to me (only 45mins to get there) and they do a great job sharpening, best I've had since Milty used to do it for our college team (and they do FBV which I recently switched to).  btw, it's Jon... maybe Eric is the other guy with the nearly identical username haha

• Like 1

My name is Brian, and I had this name 1st!! I don’t want to get in a “competition” over it, but maybe you should pick a “new direction” with your user name? 😉😂

(it’s all good. I think you have enough Xs to differentiate.)

• Haha 2