Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JoeJeeps

Lightest helmet on the market?

I'm getting back in to hockey at 40 years old. All my previous equipment is 10+ years old, heavy, non-moisture wicking, etc...old school stuff. Since I'm now in a 40+, non-checking league I'm trying to shed pounds and bulk when it comes to my equipment. When I was last in the market the Easton s19 was all the rage and they proudly advertised the weight at 325 grams. Now it seems like these specs are a big secret among manufacturers and maybe we are going backward in regard to this metric. I see current helmets at 600+ grams and that's simply too heavy for my liking.

I realize that weight shouldn't be the first consideration in purchasing a helmet, but provided the protection is there then it is certainly a close second for me. Any suggestions?

I have the CCM Fitlite 3DS and find it pretty light.  But in the end, I think it depends more on whatever facial protection you use (or not use).  I used to use the FM580 cage, but switched to the Fitlite titanium cage, and the reduction in weight was significant.

I like the looks of that helmet. Would you say your head is more oval shaped or round? On Ice Warehouse they are showing it as an oval fit which I think would be good in my case.

As for the cage...I was using a fishbowl, but thinking about switching to a titanium cage. They're like half the weight and it would keep me cooler.

1 hour ago, JoeJeeps said:

I like the looks of that helmet. Would you say your head is more oval shaped or round? On Ice Warehouse they are showing it as an oval fit which I think would be good in my case.

As for the cage...I was using a fishbowl, but thinking about switching to a titanium cage. They're like half the weight and it would keep me cooler.

I originally thought my head was more round shaped, but when I tried the 3DS in the store, it fit really well.  Occasionally, the helmet will feel tighter on my temples, but it's easily remedied by pushing out the sides a bit before putting it on.  It's a very comfortable helmet, breathes well, feels light, and the occipital lock is great.  The only con I would say with this helmet is that the brow does not absorb any sweat whatsoever, so you will get sweat dripping down over your face at times.  The Fitlite titanium cage is great, but they seem to be harder to find as of late.  It's got the same pattern as the CCM480/580, but with flat bars, and significantly lighter.  I had to buy the helmet and cage separately, as I wear a M helmet but a L cage.  Hope that helps.

Nothing out currently is close to the weight of the Easton E700. The E700 replaced the S19. The fit system was changed to a Giro bike helmet style system that fit more people. The S19 didn't fit me well, but the E700 is very comfortable. Now, the E700 hasn't been manufactured in close to 5 years; so they'll be hard to come by, but you could always scour the internet for new old stock (sideline swap, ebay, BST sections, FB Marketplace ect.). 

The Fitlite 3DS mentioned is one of the lighter models that is more recent and even though it's also been discontinued (just last year I believe); it should still be pretty easy to find. The original Bauer Reakt is also a lighter than average model that should be attainable. Neither of these will be as light as the E700 though. 

I've tried various cages over the years - i2, Itech Titanium, Reakt Titanium and the Fitlite Titanium. Both the Reakt and Fitlite have the flat bars and offer excellent vision. The Fitlite is a bit wider and longer in the same size vs. the Reakt so it fits my face and helmet better and that's the only reason I switched from the Reakt to the Fitlite. I would try on both those cages with your helmet in various sizes if you can and buy the one that fits best. With that said, I do believe the Fitlite Titanium cage was discontinued; so it may be harder to find now than it was a year or two ago.

3 hours ago, althoma1 said:

With that said, I do believe the Fitlite Titanium cage was discontinued; so it may be harder to find now than it was a year or two ago.

That's what I thought too.  Your best chances of getting the Fitlite titanium cage is probably to buy the combo of the 3DS if still offered; unless you need different size cage/helmet like I did.

Any thoughts on the CCM FL80? Like everything else it seems to have been discontinued, but I found a guy selling new old stock for $100. It looks like a decent mid-tier helmet with a listed weight of 460 grams.

I have a shit ton of E700 helmets in black, white and navy, laying around that are brand new, but they are all XS and Small in size. Anyone who wants sone is welcome to it. Just pay for shipping. 

mxayyJVVJUBMN_tBTicNo8On_BhMf5nJpj3BYtLv

Edited by Nicholas G

On 2/12/2019 at 12:34 PM, VegasHockey said:

I have a shit ton of E700 helmets in black, white and navy, laying around that are brand new, but they are all XS and Small in size. Anyone who wants sone is welcome to it. Just pay for shipping. 

mxayyJVVJUBMN_tBTicNo8On_BhMf5nJpj3BYtLv

Sorry to bump an old thread, but was wondering if you had any E700 Small Black helmets in your shop still available??

On 1/25/2023 at 2:24 PM, CaptainCharisma said:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but was wondering if you had any E700 Small Black helmets in your shop still available??

They have been long gone for ages now. Sorry.