Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Ryan91330

Looking for P28 type curve that's a bit more closed

I've been playing with the P28 recently and I love it a lot especially when in tight. Farther out, however, it's harder to be accurate with it (I know it comes from training, but my stick broke anyways). So I was wondering if there was a curve similar to the P28 in length and toe, but is not as open? I quite enjoy the pocket but it's way too open for far shots.

I've used a P14 before but I found it too short and the toe was too square. Currently looking at the P46 but other suggestions are definitely welcome

Brand doesn't really matter here, as long as it serves its purpose.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

I just threw our some old blades, one was a Shanahan, toe with straight face and square toe.  That was from ages ago...  

Base has that as a stock pattern now.

9 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

P30.  Unfortunately only available from CCM, so the stick selection isn't as good something more popular.

Mark

5 hours ago, itslunchtime said:

P46 would be the best bet from a retail option.

I personally use the Base BC71 Malkin, cant recommend it enough for people wanting a closed toe stick.

These two are often the ones that come up the most but I've seen websites saying equating the P14 to the P30 and others equating the P14 to the P46. What are the differences between the P46 and the P30 and which is more similar to a P28 but only with a more closed toe?

3 hours ago, stick9 said:

@Ryan91330 check out Warriors W71 pattern. Stats are different but side by side they are fairly close, main difference being the angle of the face.

And the lie. W71’s one of the highest patterns in recent retail production.

P08 or Oshie pro is what you’re looking for. The lie and blade shape on the other blades mentioned in this thread aren’t anything like a P28. 

True TC3 might be another option. 

Edited by Cavs019

Howdy,

14 hours ago, Ryan91330 said:

These two are often the ones that come up the most but I've seen websites saying equating the P14 to the P30 and others equating the P14 to the P46. What are the differences between the P46 and the P30 and which is more similar to a P28 but only with a more closed toe?

All I can tell you is that I wanted exactly what you're asking for.. A P28 with a more closed face.  I just compared the P28 clone I was using (TC4) to the P30 I switched to, it seems exactly like a P28, except the toe is closed instead of open.  Blade length and lie are essentially identical.  The P30 is a touch more rockered / has a little less heel and the toe isn't _quite_ as rockered / pointy as the P28, but they're extremely minor differences to me.  The only noticeable thing for me on the ice is that the toe is more closed.

I've never had a P46,so I can't help there.  I had a W71 a while back and and don't really remember it being like a P28/P30... I just remember it having a pretty deep / wicked curve.  I no longer have it though, so I can't directly compare.

Mark

Edited by marka
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

P08 or Oshie pro is what you’re looking for. The lie and blade shape on the other blades mentioned in this thread aren’t anything like a P28. 

True TC3 might be another option. 

P08 is just as open if not more so than the P28 though, right?

7.JPG

PM9, P92, P08.

47 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

All I can tell you is that I wanted exactly what you're asking for.. A P28 with a more closed face.  I just compared the P28 clone I was using (TC4) to the P30 I switched to, it seems exactly like a P28, except the toe is closed instead of open.  Blade length and lie are essentially identical.  The P30 is a touch more rockered / has a little less heel and the toe isn't _quite_ as rockered / pointy as the P28, but they're extremely minor differences to me.  The only noticeable thing for me on the ice is that the toe is more closed.

I've never had a P46,so I can't help there.  I had a W71 a while back and and don't really remember it being like a P28/P30... I just remember it having a pretty deep / wicked curve.  I no longer have it though, so I can't directly compare.

Mark

from what i remember using the p46 it was more of a deep mid curve. it was also quite a long blade. those two things combined made it play a lot like a toe curve. also a very rockered blade. 

also depends what part of the p28 you like (or dislike). alot of the open toe comes from the heel twist in the p28, whereas the p30 has no heel twist at all and kinks in at the toe. if you like your p88s the p30 was supposed to be a p88 with a toe. 

I will second the recommendation of the P30. I've been a P28/TC guy for 2 years or so but had a Pro Duncan Keith with a late toe kink that was kinda closed that recently broke that I was heartbroken about (so much so I inquired on a custom order 6 batch from Bauer). I also used to be a P14 guy before that.  P08 is way, way to open if your already challenged with the P28.

While the P30 looks VERY similar to P14 in pictures anyone posts its not the same curve at all. It has slightly longer blade length and is very much so a P88 with a altered lie/rocker with a toe kick. It's GREAT and I'd love if Bauer ever cloned it but for now CCM twigs it is for the near future. Great for shots from anywhere and amazing for passing, hard firm on ice or easey sauce.

2 guys from my team have switched to this pattern since New Years as well and are on the same page.

Is the P30 not in-between the P88 and P92? As far as my understanding, the P30 was designed off of the P88 with added toe. So looking at all 3 patterns it seems to fit in-between the P88 and the P92 just by the looks. Can anyone confirm this? 

12 hours ago, icewalker_bg said:

The p08 is much more open than the p28 imo. Older Gionta type of you can find them? 

Warrior Gionta's pretty close to Bace BC71. Less heel curve than the P28 or P46, and more pronounced toe curve, but definitely more closed at the toe.

17 hours ago, casey74 said:

I will second the recommendation of the P30. I've been a P28/TC guy for 2 years or so but had a Pro Duncan Keith with a late toe kink that was kinda closed that recently broke that I was heartbroken about (so much so I inquired on a custom order 6 batch from Bauer). I also used to be a P14 guy before that.  P08 is way, way to open if your already challenged with the P28.

While the P30 looks VERY similar to P14 in pictures anyone posts its not the same curve at all. It has slightly longer blade length and is very much so a P88 with a altered lie/rocker with a toe kick. It's GREAT and I'd love if Bauer ever cloned it but for now CCM twigs it is for the near future. Great for shots from anywhere and amazing for passing, hard firm on ice or easey sauce.

2 guys from my team have switched to this pattern since New Years as well and are on the same page.

Not doubting you in any way but is there any reason why it would seem like a P14 in pictures?

Also, does the P30 play similarly to the P28? Literally just looking for a P28 that's slightly more closed. Thanks!

On 2/17/2019 at 10:08 PM, stick9 said:

@Ryan91330 check out Warriors W71 pattern. Stats are different but side by side they are fairly close, main difference being the angle of the face.

I've been between this, the P46 and the P30. Anything to sway me to one side?

5 hours ago, Ryan91330 said:

I've been between this, the P46 and the P30. Anything to sway me to one side?

Unfortunately you'll need to try and see for yourself. They may look and seem like what you want but could play entirely different.

Maybe the thing to do is compare all three side by side in person.

If you want to go pro stock check out the Kuznetsov curve, it's basically a closed P28.  I bought one from PSH to try but found out rather quickly it was too closed for my taste and stuck with my other P28's.  Looking now I don't see anymore on their site so my post is useless haha, sorry.

9 hours ago, Ryan91330 said:

Not doubting you in any way but is there any reason why it would seem like a P14 in pictures?

Also, does the P30 play similarly to the P28? Literally just looking for a P28 that's slightly more closed. Thanks!

I've been using a P30 for the past year or so after using a P28 for a year before that, and a P88 for years before that.  I really liked the P28, but like you was looking for something less open.  The P30 has been great, and I even switched back to a P28 for a few weeks on a whim and while it was fun, I found the open face to still be troublesome and switched back.  I think the P30 is easier for wristers and passing while still being great in tight and for snap shots.

My hope is that other stick manufacturers clone this pattern.

16 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

If you want to go pro stock check out the Kuznetsov curve, it's basically a closed P28.  I bought one from PSH to try but found out rather quickly it was too closed for my taste and stuck with my other P28's.  Looking now I don't see anymore on their site so my post is useless haha, sorry.

Which Kuznetsov? He’s changed patterns a lot over the years. Lately his have looked very Malkin classic, i.e., BC71/Gionta-ish. Can you post pictures?