Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Ryan91330

Looking for P28 type curve that's a bit more closed

I'll third (fourth?, tenth?) the P30.  It's a P88 with a kink at the bottom of the toe.  That's the big key.  It's only open at the bottom, the top of the toe is still closed.

3 hours ago, flip12 said:

Which Kuznetsov? He’s changed patterns a lot over the years. Lately his have looked very Malkin classic, i.e., BC71/Gionta-ish. Can you post pictures?

yea, doing a google image search returned images that don't look quite like the one I have.  I have a Warrior Alpha that I got from PSH last fall, I'll snap a shot of it next to a P28 when I get home later.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GoalForFun said:

That looks like a P28M with some different blade face shavings: squarer toe, slightly less toe rocker...but the same curve with the same openness at the toe.

11 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

Here's an E/P28, a Kuznetsov pro stock, and an old school Jagr Koho pro stock blade which I used to love (it's a straighter more closed toe curve so I included it for the hell of it)

Curves by Jon Schusteritsch, on Flickr

Thanks for the view! That definitely looks like a Malkin clone to me. I wondered if he had switched to that last year in the playoffs, because the blade face looked very Malkin, and I could see from GettyImages that it was a pronounced toe curve compared to his more Kovalev-banana-face-P92ish-curves from before. Depending on the blade face of this one, I'd say it's almost exactly a BC71--Malkin's go to pattern. If it's as similar to my Easton Malkins as it looks like it is, it's just a slightly longer and taller PM9 with less rocker. The biggest differences between that and a P28 is the more consistently flat rocker and a deeper pocket, with less heel curve contributing to the puck's positioning on the blade. It would at least play closer in lie to the P28 than the P46 would, along the heel at least.

PS, that Jagr curve looks awesome--maybe a little less toe and a little more heel than the Kuznetsov. Can you share more pictures of that one? I'm curious about the lie as well.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 3:11 PM, stick9 said:

The middle one looks awfully close to the old Smyth pattern from Warrior.

I'd say it's closer to a standard Malkin. Both the Smyth and Malkin are modified E4s, so it's no wonder they might look similar. I happened to have both in my basement, along with E28 and E4, so I took some comparison shots...

znqAI2J.png

E4,     W06 Smyth,     E28,     Malkin

I'd go again for the BC71 suggestion...the only problem is, though it is a little more closed, it's also a flatter rocker, so the shooting mechanics are going to feel different than with the E28, both for sweeping wrist shots and snapshots.

rxiRi1f.jpg

E4,    W06 Smyth,     E28,     Malkin

There it might be somewhat apparent how different the E28 lie and rocker is, but it's much more apparent if you overlay the E4 on the others, since it's the basis for two of the other three...

hRJEb5L.jpg

The heel of the Malkin plays a little higher, like the E28, but you can see there's a significant lie and rocker difference that's going to come into play when releasing the puck. That may or may not work for the OP. It may be just as troublesome or even more so than learning to overcome the tendency to shoot high with the P28.

Edited by flip12
  • Like 5

Howdy,

Semi-sorta related to this...

Has anyone compared a warrior W28 clone to other 28's?  In pictures I saw, it looked like the toe was more closed (like the CCM P30).

Curious if that's actually the case.  I'm liking the P30 curve, but not really liking being restricted to only CCM sticks.

Mark

2 hours ago, Ryan91330 said:

That's really cool. Is that a Malkin pro stock? If it is, I thought he's a right-handed shot?

Yeah, one of Malkin’s patterns with Easton. He is indeed a lefty. Kovalchuk’s a righty and their patterns revolve around the same concept, so maybe you were picturing him?

evgeni-malkin-nhl-edmonton-oilers-pittsb

On 2/18/2019 at 8:46 AM, Ryan91330 said:

Not doubting you in any way but is there any reason why it would seem like a P14 in pictures?

Also, does the P30 play similarly to the P28? Literally just looking for a P28 that's slightly more closed. Thanks!

I recently picked up a P30. As a devote P28/W28 user I wanted something that wasn't as open. Side by side, they are very much alike, rocker and lie are very close as well.

They play differently. The 28 is just a flick off the toe and it's top corner. The 30 requires a bit more technique. I'm still getting used to it and I haven't played a CCM in a few years.

8 hours ago, stick9 said:

I recently picked up a P30. As a devote P28/W28 user I wanted something that wasn't as open. Side by side, they are very much alike, rocker and lie are very close as well.

They play differently. The 28 is just a flick off the toe and it's top corner. The 30 requires a bit more technique. I'm still getting used to it and I haven't played a CCM in a few years.

That could be due to the P28’s heel curve and openness.

10 hours ago, stick9 said:

What technique are you talking about specifically? Is it the follow through or hand positioning etc?

9 minutes ago, Ryan91330 said:

What technique are you talking about specifically? Is it the follow through or hand positioning etc?

Hard to say exactly what it is. I need more time with it. But, follow through does seem to be a factor. 

4 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Hard to say exactly what it is. I need more time with it. But, follow through does seem to be a factor. 

For the P28, I found that I had to compensate a lot after the release, is that not as significant with the P30?

On 3/15/2019 at 8:56 AM, marka said:

Howdy,

Semi-sorta related to this...

Has anyone compared a warrior W28 clone to other 28's?  In pictures I saw, it looked like the toe was more closed (like the CCM P30).

Curious if that's actually the case.  I'm liking the P30 curve, but not really liking being restricted to only CCM sticks.

Mark

P28 vs. W28 - The loft (openness) is the same, but there are very subtle differences between them.  The P28 has slightly more toe rocker and is a slightly deeper curve compared to the W28. I am currently rotating one of each in games, and I can't tell the difference with regard to the curves.  Blade stiffness, flex point, etc are much more noticeable differences to me. 

The P30 has less toe than a P28, so I would imagine it would need more follow through on the release. 

• Like 1

@Ryan91330 After playing a bit more with the p30. It plays pretty much what you described in your initial post, aka a less open p28.

It's not a widely popular pattern so getting one on the cheap to experiment with may be tough. I ended up getting a Tacks 9080 from IW. Figured that would be easier to flip it if I totally hated it.

52 minutes ago, Ryan91330 said:

@stick9 How's the slapshot on the P30?

I'd need to have a slapshot to actually tell LOL

There are some subtle differences. The sweet spot is a little different. Shots don't go as high as easily. I think accuracy may be a little better, not sure. It's like anything else though, a pattern or stick won't make up for bad form. 

On 2/16/2019 at 6:36 PM, Ryan91330 said:

I've been playing with the P28 recently and I love it a lot especially when in tight. Farther out, however, it's harder to be accurate with it (I know it comes from training, but my stick broke anyways). So I was wondering if there was a curve similar to the P28 in length and toe, but is not as open? I quite enjoy the pocket but it's way too open for far shots.

I've used a P14 before but I found it too short and the toe was too square. Currently looking at the P46 but other suggestions are definitely welcome

Brand doesn't really matter here, as long as it serves its purpose.

Thanks!

Try the P30 Parise from CCM. essentially its a p88/p40 with the toe hook of a p28

On 2/25/2019 at 3:25 PM, flip12 said:

I'd say it's closer to a standard Malkin. Both the Smyth and Malkin are modified E4s, so it's no wonder they might look similar. I happened to have both in my basement, along with E28 and E4, so I took some comparison shots...

znqAI2J.png

E4,     W06 Smyth,     E28,     Malkin

I'd go again for the BC71 suggestion...the only problem is, though it is a little more closed, it's also a flatter rocker, so the shooting mechanics are going to feel different than with the E28, both for sweeping wrist shots and snapshots.

rxiRi1f.jpg

E4,    W06 Smyth,     E28,     Malkin

There it might be somewhat apparent how different the E28 lie and rocker is, but it's much more apparent if you overlay the E4 on the others, since it's the basis for two of the other three...

hRJEb5L.jpg

The heel of the Malkin plays a little higher, like the E28, but you can see there's a significant lie and rocker difference that's going to come into play when releasing the puck. That may or may not work for the OP. It may be just as troublesome or even more so than learning to overcome the tendency to shoot high with the P28.

is there such thing as a malkin curve but with a more rounded toe like p28 or my fav a w71???

Edited by 1q3er5

Would recommend OP check out Base as rumor has it the P30 from CCM is now discontinued on all new sticks moving forward. Which leaves you with only Pro stock , older models , and custom. 

Sad to think retailers will only offer 3 curves at some point on all sticks. Slowly but surely. Well that's where it seems to be heading anyways.

• Like 1