Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
mjpisat

Ccm custom skates

I just ordered some Sunday from North Georgia Hockey in Atlanta/Alpharetta.  I was pretty impressed with the guys at the shop.  Hopefully in 3-4 weeks I can post some actual feedback on how they turned out, but until then I'll just have to say the entire fitting process is pretty impressive. Here is a catalog of all the options (Compliments of Nicholas G).  The only option I think I had that wasn't listed in there was the lacelock.  

• Like 1

I just received mine.  I ordered AS1, 9.5D on the left and 9.75D on the right foot.  Ordered black tongue with my number embroidered, and made the skates extra stiff.  I told them to leave the holders off as I use oversized TUUK holders and didn't want a bunch of extra holes on the boot.  Took 3 weeks from when the order went in to receiving them.  Even without baking, the skates fit like a sock.  I've broken my foot 4 times from puck hits, so I have a pretty messed up right foot.  Baked them yesterday afternoon, skated today for 2 hours with no pain at all, and no hot spots.  My previous skates were Mako II's so I have to get used to the CCM stiffness, but other than that, very happy with them. 

• Like 3

I received full custom FT1 4 weeks ago, skated over 10 hours so far in the FT1  rotating with my current VH customs to ease the pain of the break-in 

Specs: 8EE/B, same tongue as retail but black felt, black clarion liner, ankle donuts/foam,  **requested 1/4 inch advanced facing forefoot**

The length and width are good overall BUT

Couple of major issues:

1)I'm still getting hot spots on the side of the big toes 1.25 inch from the tip of the toe (within the toe cap), ironically there was never even a pinch with retail 8EE's 

2)they did not give me the 1/4 inch advanced facing I requested, sadly CCM did not inform LHS they did not do it (even after skates were delivered). It is obvious though when comparing with a retail  8EE, pencil test sits exactly flush on both the retail and custom skate at the 5th eyelet! This request was the main reason I wanted to try CCM customs!! 

I'm not sure if I should request a remake or refund now?? 😞

what do the members advise??? thank you

Edited by endomaniac

33 minutes ago, endomaniac said:

I received full custom FT1 4 weeks ago, skated over 10 hours so far in the FT1  rotating with my current VH customs to ease the pain of the break-in 

Specs: 8EE/B, same tongue as retail but black felt, black clarion liner, ankle donuts/foam,  **requested 1/4 inch advanced facing forefoot**

The length and width are good overall BUT

Couple of major issues:

1)I'm still getting hot spots on the side of the big toes 1.25 inch from the tip of the toe (within the toe cap), ironically there was never even a pinch with retail 8EE's 

2)they did not give me the 1/4 inch advanced facing I requested, sadly CCM did not inform LHS they did not do it (even after skates were delivered). It is obvious though when comparing with a retail  8EE, pencil test sits exactly flush on both the retail and custom skate at the 5th eyelet! 

I'm not sure if I should request a remake or refund?? 😞

what do the members advise??? thank you

Sounds a little fishy about the advanced facing.  It's on option in their catalog and in the scanner that you can do 1/4 or 1/2 forward or 1/4 inward.  Was this a pro custom order, or a 3d scan total custom?  Are you getting lacebite or discomfort from the depth/volume?  Have you talked to the LHS/CCM about it?    

Edited by jpeaslee

@jpeaslee 3D scan, total custom.  no lacebite persay but having trouble getting the right "snugness" , as too tight gives pressure pain while too loose I get heel slippage. Definitely not getting the "wrapped" feeling of my VH's though 

LHS employee tried to brush me off the depth issue as "fine and nothing to worry about" upon delivery lol . he did not want to acknowledge there was an issue but I got a hold of a retail 8EE to make sure it was not my imagination.  I thinking about raising the issue at this point to the store owner.

other minor beefs: requested SB black runners, got the cheapest SB regular runners  

Edited by endomaniac

4 minutes ago, endomaniac said:

@jpeaslee 3D scan, total custom.  no lacebite persay but having trouble getting the right "snugness" , as too tight gives pressure pain while too loose I get heel slippage. Definitely not getting the "wrapped" feeling of my VH's though 

LHS employee tried to brush me off the depth issue as "fine and nothing to worry about" upon delivery lol . I thinking about raising the issue at this point to the store owner.

other minor beefs: requested SB black runners, got the cheapest SB regular runners  

Weird.  Did they happen to review the order with you on the screen of the 3d Scanner?

1 minute ago, endomaniac said:

@jpeaslee yes, its definitely on the order form, the 1/4 adv facing was chosen from the drop down menu on the screen 

Seems like you should have some ground to stand on.  I'd go back to the shop and talk to whoever is there.  If they don't fix it, I'd escalate it to the manager/owner and go from there.  

• Like 2

Update: I’ve gone back to the LHS, long story short they’ve owned up to the mistake (not CCMs fault) and given me a store credit......

on the fence now about submitting a new ccm custom order or going back to VH/True

Edited by endomaniac

If both your feet are the same size (8EE/B) and your only issues are that the depth is even with your feet at the 5th eyelet and the toe box on FT1's, I'm not sure you need customs. Usually the depth is only an issue if your feet are over the eyelets and there are deeper skates than Jetspeeds. It does seem like the Jetspeed toe boxes aren't right for you, but other retail toe boxes may work. I'd probably just try on a bunch of different skates around the 8EE and 8D size (while you're EE in Jetspeed, a D might work in other naturally wider models) and see if anything feels great out of the box without having to go the custom route.

With that said, if you have the extra cash and just want to go the custom route then I'd probably lean toward going the VH/True route if you're happy with the fit of those skates. You could just have them make a new pair based on the measurements of your old pair.

Out of curiousity, when you did the CCM 3D scan was Jetspeed the recommended line for your feet?

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

@althoma1 appreciate the feedback.  3D scan recommended 1) Tacks 2) Jetspeed. I chose to go with Jetspeed because of the better heel lock. Even though tacks are supposedly deeper, I could not tell any difference on my foot. Truth be told, I haven't ever had a skate with "textbook" boot depth including previous Supreme TO's  (had lacebite in those and they were also the same in depth as these Jetspeeds). Nexus too sloppy at the heel so were never a consideration. Even my current Trues are flush at the 5th eyelet but somehow  they worked well for me,  I suspect it is because the overall superior wrap  makes up for the fact I like my skate laces loose and skip the top eyelet as well.   

jetspeed toe box is actually fine in retail skate, it just became a problem on the custom order, possibly because my toes touch the front of toe cap due to "pro fit" length? 

Edited by endomaniac

That's strange that the stock 8EE FT1 toe box is fine, but the 8EE/B customs have an issue (I believe most stock skates are D/A or EE/B; so I think an 8EE stock skate would actually have a B heel anyway). Unless they actually make the skates just a touch shorter or used a different toe box? Or maybe the retail FT1 toe box feels fine in the store, but you'd have the same issue with it if you skated on them. 

When I tried on the 8EE Tacks they actually locked my heel in very well, but the toe box was too narrow for my feet. Every foot is different though and I have read the FT1 has great heel lock. I tried on a D width FT1 at SummerJam and it was waaaay too narrow for my feet in the forefoot area. They didn't bring any EE width skates and I haven't bothered to try on a EE width since I'm not currently in the market for new skates thanks to my Mako stockpile. 

Besides the two issues you had with the FT1's how did they feel performance wise compared to your VH skates? 

Edited by althoma1

I don’t feel I can make a fair comparison in terms of performance given my 2 issues, the taller SB holders compared to my shorter LS2 (non-edge) holders on my VH  and other confounding variables. IMHO,  proper snug and comfortable fit and optimized steel profiling is where the performance gains come rather than comparing the different top end skates from the different manufacturers. Of course, the skater as well 😉

i will say that VH were the most comfortable skates by far and not having a toe box/quarter package junction is a big part of that for me. I really liked how ccm placed liner across that junction. However, you can still feel a ridge there (plastic clips underneath??) and may have contributed to my toe pain. 

Edited by endomaniac
  • Like 1

Yes, comfort and fit is key. Based on your comments on the VH skates,  I would go with True and just ask them to use the measurements they should already have on file since your current VH skates fit so well. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, endomaniac said:

I don’t feel I can make a fair comparison in terms of performance given my 2 issues, the taller SB holders compared to my shorter LS2 (non-edge) holders on my VH  and other confounding variables. IMHO,  proper snug and comfortable fit and optimized steel profiling is where the performance gains come rather than comparing the different top end skates from the different manufacturers. Of course, the skater as well 😉

i will say that VH were the most comfortable skates by far and not having a toe box/quarter package junction is a big part of that for me. I really liked how ccm placed liner across that junction. However, you can still feel a ridge there (plastic clips underneath??) and may have contributed to my toe pain. 

This is me with my as1s... I had to put Eva foam there myself to remove that plastic ridge feeling on my left skate (pinky).  It's more prevalent on my left because my left foot is bigger than my right. It's an issue I hope CCM addresses in the future or with the ft2s. I wonder if this issue is prevalent with the ft1. 

Have comfort lining on the forefoot is an option for total customs along with increasing the toe box so why don't you go that route if you do another order?

@Sniper9 adding thicker, more comfort lining from the forefoot though the toe box will further narrow the available width in the toe box, should one then order oversized toe cap to account for that? I'm not sure that i would want to add another variable and risk

tbh, i think with enough time and diy remedies (localized heat and pressure), i could have eventually gotten the toe box right. But given my situation, i didn't feel like working so hard when there was another issue with my order

Edited by endomaniac

3 minutes ago, mjpisat said:

What is the requested 1/4 inch advanced facing forefoot option?

You can advance the facing on the ankle (top 3) or the forefoot (bottom eyelets, I think all of them except top 3) or you can advance all of them. 

12 hours ago, endomaniac said:

@Sniper9 adding thicker, more comfort lining from the forefoot though the toe box will further narrow the available width in the toe box, should one then order oversized toe cap to account for that? I'm not sure that i would want to add another variable and risk

tbh, i think with enough time and diy remedies (localized heat and pressure), i could have eventually gotten the toe box right. But given my situation, i didn't feel like working so hard when there was another issue with my order

For me if I went total customs route I would get added comfort liner and larger toe cap. If it happens to be a touch too large I don't have a problem adding 1-2mm of foam to decrease the negative space. Personally, I rather add a bit of foam which would add comfort than try to punch or stretch an area in the toe box junction. 

I actually did spot heat the junction with my skates and created more room for my pinky however it didn't work that great because the actual toe cap an clip was extremely hard to modify. The carbon right where it meets the toecap wasn't the problem as that heats up well and is extremely mouldable. What ends up happening is that the carbon and toe cap don't expand at the same rate creating even more fit issues and more discomfort bc the plastic toe cap clip/rivet ends up sticking out even more bc or the discrepancy. Not sure if that makes sense but that's what I experienced. 

What ended up working ok and what I settled with was adding the liner on that area. Putting the skate on and tied it up. Spot heated the area with a heat gun and stood on the skate to add weight and also used my hands to push down in that area. Nothing too crazy but enough to accommodate the added liner without it making my foot feel like it's squished. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

this is what i don't get.  what do you actually get when you do the ccm 3d custom fitting bla bla bla........is it just sizing?

me personally, i always have volume issues.  small skinny foot, skinny ankle but high arch.  

so if it's a true custom fit why would i have to choose to add 1/4 inch facing to get more volume?  wouldn't the custom fitting take that into account?

Am I missing something?

Thanks

2 hours ago, mjpisat said:

this is what i don't get.  what do you actually get when you do the ccm 3d custom fitting bla bla bla........is it just sizing?

me personally, i always have volume issues.  small skinny foot, skinny ankle but high arch.  

so if it's a true custom fit why would i have to choose to add 1/4 inch facing to get more volume?  wouldn't the custom fitting take that into account?

Am I missing something?

Thanks

That's a good question. Could be preference as some ppl like more wrap and some less...

Also, I always wondered why we had to choose which line if it was total custom.  If it's completely custom, couldn't you choose any model regardless of the retail "fit" as itll be made for your foot but just a diff paint job and materials. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1

my understanding is that customizing  boot depth is one of the limitations of ccm and Bauer custom skates. hence, their need to recommend a skate line/family based on the scan. Option for advanced/recessed facing appears to address some but not all of the depth limitations 

Edited by endomaniac

4 hours ago, mjpisat said:

Am I missing something?

Thanks

I had these same concerns which is one of the reasons that I didn't go with CCM; I was too afraid of picking the "wrong" thing and being stuck with $1000+ skates that weren't right for me. I had to deal with a similar issue a couple years ago when I finally bought a new drum set: I went total custom due getting the deal of the decade on it but the myriad of choices was completely overwhelming with not only paint job but wood types, the amounts, hardware, etc. It took me at least six months to come up with a configuration that I was happy with before I pulled the trigger. So far, I've been extremely happy with my kit but it was really stressful trying to decide what I wanted and being concerned that I'd regret some option that I selected. Like custom skates, custom instruments are hard to resell if you end up having to unload them for whatever reason.

This is a pretty good read on why having too many choices can be a bad thing for consumers (and retailers and manufacturers): https://fee.org/articles/costco-serves-its-customers-by-limiting-their-choices/