Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
mjpisat

Ccm custom skates

My total custom ft2 skates came in a couple of weeks ago and ive skated in them about 5 times.  To be honest im a disappointed in the fit and i think you raise some good points about the scanning.  When youre being scanned, your feet are elevated with no weight on them, which is not how your feet will sit in a boot with 190lbs of pressure on them.  

I opted to add the 1/4" boot cut to increase the depth which was a big help over the stock ft2 and ft1.  I also went with the donut ankle padding.  However the donut ankle padding sits too low and therefore the middle part of the donut is not actually around my ankle bone -  so the thick part of the padding rubs along my foot and has caused bruising.  I also have a hot spot on my right big toe that was not there in the stock ft2.  The boot is incredibly tight, i hardly have to tie the laces to feel secure.  

For 1299 im not impressed with the fit

5 hours ago, Fordyoz said:

My total custom ft2 skates came in a couple of weeks ago and ive skated in them about 5 times.  To be honest im a disappointed in the fit and i think you raise some good points about the scanning.  When youre being scanned, your feet are elevated with no weight on them, which is not how your feet will sit in a boot with 190lbs of pressure on them.  

I opted to add the 1/4" boot cut to increase the depth which was a big help over the stock ft2 and ft1.  I also went with the donut ankle padding.  However the donut ankle padding sits too low and therefore the middle part of the donut is not actually around my ankle bone -  so the thick part of the padding rubs along my foot and has caused bruising.  I also have a hot spot on my right big toe that was not there in the stock ft2.  The boot is incredibly tight, i hardly have to tie the laces to feel secure.  

For 1299 im not impressed with the fit

For that price I would have CCM make me a new pair. Thats a lot of cash. 

As for your observation about not having weight on your feet when scanning. As someone who deals with a lot of custom skates I agree with you 100%. Without having weight bearing in the proper stance the scan will never be to the proper specification. This is why TRUE makes you do a "warrior pose" when you are scanned and then also is very specific about making sure nose, knees and toes are all aligned when baking. 

I have heard of players when being scanned putting the chair against the wall and pushing down on the glass with their feet to generate a weighted load. Not sure how effective this is though. 

My thought was to at least have the clear scanning platform against something solid so that you could push down a little more with the fronts of your feet at least, but then that gets in the way of the person doing the scan being able to get the front and bottoms of the foot. I think the bottom part is all pretty irrelevant anyway since they don't do anything different than the regular boot bottom that way.

Skated on these again tonight for 2 hours.  Feet were asleep nearly the whole time even after untying and loosening twice.  Emailed ccm earlier today and they mentioned a rework program and asked a few questions about where the pressure is etc.

20 minutes ago, Fordyoz said:

Skated on these again tonight for 2 hours.  Feet were asleep nearly the whole time even after untying and loosening twice.  Emailed ccm earlier today and they mentioned a rework program and asked a few questions about where the pressure is etc.

Did you bake them or no? If not baking them may help alleviate some areas. Even though it's not recommended you can bake them and stand on them (not walk) so your feet expand and it might possibly widen the skates a bit when theyre warm. 

On 6/15/2019 at 12:57 AM, Sniper9 said:

Did you bake them or no? If not baking them may help alleviate some areas. Even though it's not recommended you can bake them and stand on them (not walk) so your feet expand and it might possibly widen the skates a bit when theyre warm. 

yes i baked them.  

kxewwUx.jpeghavent heard back since i sent my problem areas of the skate and what i tried.

i actually found a piece of liner last night that spanned across where the boot meets the toe box.  it was folded and i was able to pull it out of the skate easily (it was held in place by adhesive).  this is what was causing the pressure in my right foot near the toe box because after i removed that it felt much better.  not sure the purpose it had, but im glad that fixed my biggest problem area.  

Edited by Fordyoz

5 hours ago, Fordyoz said:

kxewwUx.jpeghavent heard back since i sent my problem areas of the skate and what i tried.

i actually found a piece of liner last night that spanned across where the boot meets the toe box.  it was folded and i was able to pull it out of the skate easily (it was held in place by adhesive).  this is what was causing the pressure in my right foot near the toe box because after i removed that it felt much better.  not sure the purpose it had, but im glad that fixed my biggest problem area.  

Yeah I removed those too. What I'm really wondering is what they told you regarding your options for either a re-scan, or a new pair of boots? Did they even address that as an option?

2 hours ago, Tondog said:

Yeah I removed those too. What I'm really wondering is what they told you regarding your options for either a re-scan, or a new pair of boots? Did they even address that as an option?

Ill let you know when i hear back.  The woman mentioned a rework program and asked about my issues...thats all so far.

Something I have just seen that came from CCM. If you want a narrow heel then CCM customs may not be your best bet, CCM no longer make heel sizes under a D width. So if you want a B or a C etc heel width then you are sol. I'm willing to stand corrected but this came direct from CCM.

2 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

Something I have just seen that came from CCM. If you want a narrow heel then CCM customs may not be your best bet, CCM no longer make heel sizes under a D width. So if you want a B or a C etc heel width then you are sol. I'm willing to stand corrected but this came direct from CCM.

I think this is only one the one-piece boot options and at the retail level. 

1 hour ago, Vet88 said:

If they had a d width boot and high pressure moulded it to ur last wouldn't it technically form to your smaller heel?  The benefit of the high pressure moulding they use is the ability to have the boot form very closely to your last so it's pretty much as close as you're gonna get to a perfect fit. 

Edited by Sniper9

13 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

If they had a d width boot and high pressure moulded it to ur last wouldn't it technically form to your smaller heel?  The benefit of the high pressure moulding they use is the ability to have the boot form very closely to your last so it's pretty much as close as you're gonna get to a perfect fit. 

Making material move inwards is never a good idea, it has memory and any outward pressure on it always makes it want to move back out. But material that is small in the first place resists outward movement a lot more. If I want a narrow heel that is where I want to start, not something that is oversized and then squeezed downward to fit.

Edited by Vet88

1 hour ago, Vet88 said:

Making material move inwards is never a good idea, it has memory and any outward pressure on it always makes it want to move back out. But material that is small in the first place resists outward movement a lot more. If I want a narrow heel that is where I want to start, not something that is oversized and then squeezed downward to fit.

Depends on the material. Thermoformable materials shouldnt really go back to its normal position if heated to the right temperature and allowed to cool completely. 

I do agree with the getting something that's too big to go smaller though, depending on how much it has to reduce by..

Ccms custom process just shows how it's not really that custom in terms of the actual fit if they can only make boots a certain heel cup size without pre fabricating the shell. 

I still got pressure points of the custom AS1 😞

There is also a foam on the toe box outer area (where the little / fifth toe is) maybe I should try removing that?

Anyone else experiencing this? 

1 hour ago, markush said:

I still got pressure points of the custom AS1 😞

There is also a foam on the toe box outer area (where the little / fifth toe is) maybe I should try removing that?

Anyone else experiencing this? 

Did u bake them?

The big issue I had with my as1 (retail) was that my pinky toe was aggravated by the piece of plastic on the toe cap where the toe cap met the boot. I had to put a piece of foam there to alleviate it ..

yes I also baked them - but will try to remove that „comfort foam“ in the forefoot as it takes away too much width. 
Also the heel lock is not as good as in the retail version for me. 
And my pressure point on the navicular bone still is a problem. 

D and C aren't heel widths. AAA/AA/A/B are heel widths. A standard boot is D/A. D in the forefoot and A in the heel. I'm pretty sure CCM can make a AA heel because it was an option on my custom FT1's and I was told they are C/AA. They are pretty narrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is what I was looking for, the width and if it translates to the Custom FT2 skates. Any knowledge of this? It seems the literature only has a D listed for width?

1 hour ago, Jason said:

D and C aren't heel widths. AAA/AA/A/B are heel widths. A standard boot is D/A. D in the forefoot and A in the heel. I'm pretty sure CCM can make a AA heel because it was an option on my custom FT1's and I was told they are C/AA. They are pretty narrow.