Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
mjpisat

Ccm custom skates

2 hours ago, markush said:

yes I also baked them - but will try to remove that „comfort foam“ in the forefoot as it takes away too much width. 
Also the heel lock is not as good as in the retail version for me. 
And my pressure point on the navicular bone still is a problem. 

The comfort foam was optional wasn't it? And it does say when added it'll reduce the width of the boot slightly. 

I was speaking in general. Bauer has those widths and more. I'm not sure what is currently available for CCM. I only know that when I ordered my FT1 customs a a couple years ago, they had C/AA, D/A and E/A options.

4 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

The comfort foam was optional wasn't it? And it does say when added it'll reduce the width of the boot slightly. 

Yes I learned that it was an option by reading the PDF which was posted here. Seems the rep that made my Total Custom order selected that without asking me. 

1) Does anyone have an updated CCM Retailer's Guide PDF for 2019? I do see that the retailer can submit a tracing if the client wants it done (in "overcoming objections") on page 18. Tracings should be standard in my opinion.

The PDF was submitted by one of our members a few posts ago, not the first PDF of this thread.

2) All my efforts to determine  CCM's skate widths have come back with the express words of "select width" and I get D or wider. It appears Bauer is the same way. Where do the other sizes that have been given appear, such as AA, etc? My forefoot is fine, but my heel is narrow.

Edited by smu
moved a sentence for better clarity

5 hours ago, smu said:

1) Does anyone have an updated CCM Retailer's Guide PDF for 2019? I do see that the retailer can submit a tracing if the client wants it done (in "overcoming objections") on page 18. Tracings should be standard in my opinion.

The PDF was submitted by one of our members a few posts ago, not the first PDF of this thread.

2) All my efforts to determine  CCM's skate widths have come back with the express words of "select width" and I get D or wider. It appears Bauer is the same way. Where do the other sizes that have been given appear, such as AA, etc? My forefoot is fine, but my heel is narrow.

This is the most recent catalog

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pS3Jabo1-CBKwc20AM6K3jxd7W9KrQrH

Current retail order form:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eweHfsIwKJUmwr7NHL5roeYeSCXjlDcN

Edited by SkateWorksPNW
  • Like 1

Thanks, for the links, much appreciated.

The FT2 indicates Size by a number and width as a letter - D +EE can't argue that. Not much to chose from, if you have narrow feet.

We have the 2018 link already on the form. Would anybody have the 2019 CCM 3D scan Retail Guide.pdf?

6 hours ago, smu said:

Width of a skate (any skate brand) has to do with the distance from where the big toe's phalange meets the metatarsal to where the pinky toe's phalange meets the metatarsal. 

metatarsal-stress-fracture.png

3 hours ago, caveman27 said:

Width of a skate (any skate brand) has to do with the distance from where the big toe's phalange meets the metatarsal to where the pinky toe's phalange meets the metatarsal. 

metatarsal-stress-fracture.png

Thanks, but what does that tell me I need?

Cheers

5 hours ago, caveman27 said:

There are 2 widths you can get in a skate, the forefoot width and the heel width. Retail skates have a set heel width which is why the sizing is only D or E, customs can be ordered with a separate forefoot width and heel width (or should be able to eg Bauer custom ordering process where you specify the heel width you want).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

There are 2 widths you can get in a skate, the forefoot width and the heel width. Retail skates have a set heel width which is why the sizing is only D or E, customs can be ordered with a separate forefoot width and heel width (or should be able to eg Bauer custom ordering process where you specify the heel width you want).

I should have a qualification from CCM tomorrow if a narrow width is possible so there is a chance something can be done. I have searched the web for Bauer Customs and found none with anything but D and wider.  Can you give me an updated Bauer Custom link before I meet with the LHS tomorrow?

Thanks for your help again!

Edited by smu

I don't have access to that anymore and our Bauer in country ordering is done out of Europe. Hopefully someone local to you will read this and be able to guide you to a US or Canada online source.

7 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

I don't have access to that anymore and our Bauer in country ordering is done out of Europe. Hopefully someone local to you will read this and be able to guide you to a US or Canada online source.

No problem, I will look again and try and find a link. I wonder if the narrow skate has been just deleted entirely from Bauer and CCM lines two years ago, by what I see.

I wonder what can narrower foot guy like me can do, as well as many of the girls/women in hockey that may have a smaller foot?

No need to answer.

Thanks, mojo122, it seems to say that the width is not asked, but taken into consideration during the scan.

That would work I guess if there is no stipulation somewhere that only width size D and larger will apply, unfortunately.

Edited by smu
clarify last sentence

There has to be a heck of a lot of narrow heeled hockey players out there that are in very competitive hockey. I am thinking of many of the women and men teams. I am sure they are getting fitted properly, I just have to establish this so I can have a good argument when speaking with CCM.

Can anyone help, I need a narrow skate to skate properly and also limit my pronation?

54 minutes ago, smu said:

There has to be a heck of a lot of narrow heeled hockey players out there that are in very competitive hockey. I am thinking of many of the women and men teams. I am sure they are getting fitted properly, I just have to establish this so I can have a good argument when speaking with CCM.

Can anyone help, I need a narrow skate to skate properly and also limit my pronation?

In the post it says "You can adjust length in the order submission but width is not an option as the custom last process shapes the skate to your individual foot (L and R). At any time during this process you want to make additional notes to your foot scan, you can." and that is coming from the Product Manager.  I don't think anyone can say for certain you can request a AA heel.  The best you could do is in the notes make a comment that you have a very narrow heel.  In the past they have made C width retail skates.  Like any other custom product you will probably have put a little faith in the process and give them as much info as you can.  I would also recommend trying to find a shop that has experience in custom skates.  At least with Bauer and CCM both companies have customer facing documentation that say they are making a 3D print out of your foot and building your custom skate off of it.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 2:31 PM, strosedefence34 said:

"The best you could do is in the notes make a comment that you have a very narrow heel.  In the past they have made C width retail skates.  Like any other custom product you will probably have put a little faith in the process and give them as much info as you can.  I would also recommend trying to find a shop that has experience in custom skates.  At least with Bauer and CCM both companies have customer facing documentation that say they are making a 3D print out of your foot and building your custom skate off of it.

Thanks very much with your response, all done last year with True although I took the reigns and not the LHS. I contacted Rob Thompson directly instead of my LHS taking a backseat, although they were very helpful.  This got me nowhere as True all but told me they were unable to give me what I want. All I wanted is a C width and even then my heel width was wider than my 5D Bauer.

I did find out from CCM that if you clearly and specifically get it through their head that you are saying that "please make a narrow skate". I say make sure someone touches base with them about this. The only way you will get the correct answer and if they can't bring the heel in they will make a refund.

I have found that a 4.5 FT2 will fit perfectly in the heel area, but my right toe seemed to be touching the toe cap and I was frightened to take that chance whereas the size 5 FT2 was way too wide, but had the proper length. I believe I have to visit a couple of LHS shops and see if I can get a 4.5 to fit as I believe my feet are the same length. If I can get that skate then I can have a Custom FT2 built on that platform. 

On 10/4/2019 at 2:31 PM, strosedefence34 said:

In the post it says "You can adjust length in the order submission but width is not an option as the custom last process shapes the skate to your individual foot (L and R). At any time during this process you want to make additional notes to your foot scan, you can." and that is coming from the Product Manager.  I don't think anyone can say for certain you can request a AA heel.  The best you could do is in the notes make a comment that you have a very narrow heel.  In the past they have made C width retail skates.  Like any other custom product you will probably have put a little faith in the process and give them as much info as you can.  I would also recommend trying to find a shop that has experience in custom skates.  At least with Bauer and CCM both companies have customer facing documentation that say they are making a 3D print out of your foot and building your custom skate off of it. 

Thanks!

I have also learned from CCM that if you clearly and specifically get it known that you need a "narrow heel" you have a chance to get what you want. My LHS stated, "please make a narrow skate" and it was not good enough, not even near! So I do say that someone has to touch base with CCM by phone about this. It is just about the best way that you will get the correct answer. CCM did say that if they can't bring the heel in, to my satisfaction, they will make a refund.

My custom size 5, FTD2 have the correct length but the width is as wide as my old Bauer 5D  skates.

I could have gone to a 4.5 FTD but my right toe seemed to close to the cap, but the heel width seemed perfect. Unfortunately, there were no more size 4.5 to try on so that I could determine if the skate was out or my right foot. Both feet seem symmetrical.

After my first bake and me doubting that the heel was narrow, I am now going through the process of just having my 5s baked for a second time and with feet in then after the waiting period I took them off. The skates then were then tied up tight to the top eyelet. I was told to leave them that way for 24 hours which is now.

I have now untied them and clearly notice that the top eyelets have come much closer together, thus the throat of the skate is compromised, smaller and less desirable an indication that they were too wide! I will give them a try as I have been asked, but I clearly stated before this that in no way do I want the throat narrowed.

I have been told that if they are not satisfactory CCM will take them back and try and see what can be done. Meaning I will be without skates for a number of hockey games. I understand that I can say no to this as I feel it's going nowhere and stretching the skate over my foot surface and towards the throat is not the way to start this fix, in my opinion.

Could you PM me the contact of the product manager. It seems that if you don't do it yourself, nothing gets done right.

Cheers!

18 hours ago, smu said:

Thanks!

I have also learned from CCM that if you clearly and specifically get it known that you need a "narrow heel" you have a chance to get what you want. My LHS stated, "please make a narrow skate" and it was not good enough, not even near! So I do say that someone has to touch base with CCM by phone about this. It is just about the best way that you will get the correct answer. CCM did say that if they can't bring the heel in, to my satisfaction, they will make a refund.

My custom size 5, FTD2 have the correct length but the width is as wide as my old Bauer 5D  skates.

I could have gone to a 4.5 FTD but my right toe seemed to close to the cap, but the heel width seemed perfect. Unfortunately, there were no more size 4.5 to try on so that I could determine if the skate was out or my right foot. Both feet seem symmetrical.

After my first bake and me doubting that the heel was narrow, I am now going through the process of just having my 5s baked for a second time and with feet in then after the waiting period I took them off. The skates then were then tied up tight to the top eyelet. I was told to leave them that way for 24 hours which is now.

I have now untied them and clearly notice that the top eyelets have come much closer together, thus the throat of the skate is compromised, smaller and less desirable an indication that they were too wide! I will give them a try as I have been asked, but I clearly stated before this that in no way do I want the throat narrowed.

I have been told that if they are not satisfactory CCM will take them back and try and see what can be done. Meaning I will be without skates for a number of hockey games. I understand that I can say no to this as I feel it's going nowhere and stretching the skate over my foot surface and towards the throat is not the way to start this fix, in my opinion.

Could you PM me the contact of the product manager. It seems that if you don't do it yourself, nothing gets done right.

Cheers!

Seems like the issue with skates might be you and not the manufacturers. 

Your toes are supposed to touch/feather the toe cap when standing or walking, and pull away slightly away from the toe cap when the knees are bent. If you like no toes touching at all then that's your personal preference and you may be SOL.

You've gone through custom skates from two different companies and still not happy.

Are u even sure the heel width is the issue and not the fact that u are pronating inside the boot that's causing the fit "issue". I know for my right foot that pronates, it feels a bit sloppier than my left bc of the pronation.  When I pronate my foot on purpose and try to lift my heel up with the skates on it's locked it  or "feels" locked in bc the foot no longer is rolling/further pronating.  Doing this made me realize that it was the skate fit that was causing me to feel the slight slop but the slop was actually coming from INSIDE my foot from the pronation  No matter "perfect" my right skate is going to be it'll always feel off vs my left bc of my pronation. Just like when I wear shoes as well.  The smaller 4.5 might feel better because they are so tight it doesn't allow much pronation (for now) but as I believe it was @Vet88 stated before the pronating foot will eventually break down the stiff boot and the issue will start arising again. 

At some point you may need to look at whether it's the skates or you. And if it's something you're going to have to live with or try to fix rather than going for the ideal skate fit that may not exist. 

Edited by Sniper9

A Bauer scan would tell him for sure how his feet compared to others. It measures arch height, ankle width etc and gives the results in a clear way. Bauer did not allow me to choose width or length, I guess I could have asked for a bit extra length, but they are perfect in that respect. 

19 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Seems like the issue with skates might be you and not the manufacturers. 

Your toes are supposed to touch/feather the toe cap when standing or walking, and pull away slightly away from the toe cap when the knees are bent. If you like no toes touching at all then that's your personal preference and you may be SOL.

You've gone through custom skates from two different companies and still not happy.

Are u even sure the heel width is the issue and not the fact that u are pronating inside the boot that's causing the fit "issue". I know for my right foot that pronates, it feels a bit sloppier than my left bc of the pronation.  When I pronate my foot on purpose and try to lift my heel up with the skates on it's locked it  or "feels" locked in bc the foot no longer is rolling/further pronating.  Doing this made me realize that it was the skate fit that was causing me to feel the slight slop but the slop was actually coming from INSIDE my foot from the pronation  No matter "perfect" my right skate is going to be it'll always feel off vs my left bc of my pronation. Just like when I wear shoes as well.  The smaller 4.5 might feel better because they are so tight it doesn't allow much pronation (for now) but as I believe it was @Vet88 stated before the pronating foot will eventually break down the stiff boot and the issue will start arising again. 

At some point you may need to look at whether it's the skates or you. And if it's something you're going to have to live with or try to fix rather than going for the ideal skate fit that may not exist. 

You are right with regard to the boot, Vett88 and I have discussed all issues many times. In particular, loosening the laces, but I don't have the years left to learn to skate without laces.
If I have a stiff boot it will help with pronation, but a proper heel width will reduce pronation as well, I have been told that the wide heel is what is mostly causing my pronation problems and trying to correct them with wedges in a large heel pocket is not practicable. If I have a tight heel the wedges will stay in place.
Once I realized there was an issue with the CCM skates I had asked my LHS if he could contact CCM by phone or did he want me to call before I came back to the store? The LHS made the call. 🙂

For the record, the Custom CCM FT2 boot is still as wide as my old Bauers. I had an inside measurement device with me at the LHS and compared the Custom FT2 with a stock FT2 skate off the shelf and it was agreed that it was the same size.

The LHS did discuss my current skate issues with CCM and it would appear that my narrow heel was not accentuated enough in the order form (my opinion from what I heard) and advised I was advised of three options.

CCM via LHS
1) The skates were to be baked for a second time and after that my skates were to be removed. After this, the skates were tied tightly to the top eyelet. I was to leave them set for 24 hours to see what change in the skate would be. I now have loosened the laces and (as I thought) the skate was much tighter, but the baking made the throat smaller, something I indicated I did not want. They do feel tighter, however, no change in the width of the heel and I don’t like the encroaching material near the top eyelets. I have yet to skate with them but like the Trues I had, size 7, 6, 5, if they were stiff enough to be still able to skate!
2) If the above is not satisfactory the skates are to be returned to CCM for further treatment to see if they can get the boot to suit my heel. (I am unsure of the method).
3) I guess then, determine if I want a refund or ask for the skates this time to be completely rebuilt. This might have to be clarified as I have said I have not talked to CCM.
I hate to bring it up, but our last comment about the sizing, unfortunately, if it were two years ago the narrower heel sizes were there, in CCM and Bauer!

With regard to the True skates, Rob Thompson said he could not make me what I wanted (a C width my words) and did say, “I will try and shave more off the heel” I tried to stop the process right there by asking Rob to discuss the issue with me first, before the build. He ignored that and went ahead and made the skate anyway. Of course, it was still wider than the D Bauer, I have the photos!

Thanks for posting,

Cheers.

Edited by smu
Grammar

15 hours ago, Leif said:

A Bauer scan would tell him for sure how his feet compared to others. It measures arch height, ankle width etc and gives the results in a clear way. Bauer did not allow me to choose width or length, I guess I could have asked for a bit extra length, but they are perfect in that respect. 

I will get the Bauer scan done, thanks very much!

4 hours ago, smu said:

I will get the Bauer scan done, thanks very much!

I don’t know if you can get that done without committing to a purchase, maybe the shop that did your skates has a Bauer scanner? 

54 minutes ago, Leif said:

I don’t know if you can get that done without committing to a purchase, maybe the shop that did your skates has a Bauer scanner? 

You can get scanned for free. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

You can get scanned for free. 

Thanks, guys, I wanted someone independent, but my LHS has the Custom Bauer and that's where I will go.

For some reason, when my foot size came out wrong, 6.5 and 6 in the first place on the CCM we did not do a second one. He must have sent that scan along with my size after trying stock skates on (size 5). Perhaps this is why the order was not correct.

As I say it appears that both CCM and Bauer make a skate to the scan. I am going to start to reel in the reigns and say I want what I ordered.

My LHS knows full well what I have been looking for and need for more than one year!