Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
mjpisat

Ccm custom skates

CCM has responded by email that they feel something can be done. I have called and left a message with CCM so we can get on the right track, but no reply yet.

I just picked up some used CCM 70k's. Based on the labeling and the Made in Canada tags on the tongues they are either customs or pro stock. Anyway, the foot beds are not your typical skate foot beds. They are more like sneaker foot beds, soft and cushioned, and are glued in. Has anyone seen this before?

50 minutes ago, stick9 said:

I just picked up some used CCM 70k's. Based on the labeling and the Made in Canada tags on the tongues they are either customs or pro stock. Anyway, the foot beds are not your typical skate foot beds. They are more like sneaker foot beds, soft and cushioned, and are glued in. Has anyone seen this before?

That seems like it'd lead to all sorts of trouble down the line. I'd try to remove it ASAP and see the condition of the rivets.

1 hour ago, Giltis said:

That seems like it'd lead to all sorts of trouble down the line. I'd try to remove it ASAP and see the condition of the rivets.

That was my first thought as well as I always remove the foot beds after skating. They are CCM branded so I sort of assumed they came like that. My other thought was, they were just a base for whatever foot bed the user wanted. That seems unlikely. I've skated in them twice and they feel like a foot bed to me.

The CCM orthomove insoles are pretty wide and I found it was a PAIN to get them out of the boot once inside. So if they are the yellow CCM orthomove insoles they aren't glued in there just wedged in there...

On 1/7/2020 at 2:39 PM, stick9 said:

That was my first thought as well as I always remove the foot beds after skating. They are CCM branded so I sort of assumed they came like that. My other thought was, they were just a base for whatever foot bed the user wanted. That seems unlikely. I've skated in them twice and they feel like a foot bed to me.

Pic? 

They're black with a white ccm logo. Thicker foam then your basic factory foot beds. No arch to them at all. Appreantly not glued either. Just set into the skate with no lip or gap. I had to use pliers to get them out.

Crazy comfortable, seems almost unrealistic. 

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

They're black with a white ccm logo. Thicker foam then your basic factory foot beds. No arch to them at all. Appreantly not glued either. Just set into the skate with no lip or gap. I had to use pliers to get them out.

Crazy comfortable, seems almost unrealistic. 

Oh, those are the stock insoles that usually come with the CCM customs. Just a really thick black insole, no arch or anything, and a white CCM logo. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Oh, those are the stock insoles that usually come with the CCM customs. Just a really thick black insole, no arch or anything, and a white CCM logo. 

Yep. Got those in both my pairs and immediately chucked them into the bin both times. I went with the Superfeet carbons.

Does anyone know if there's any way to buy a retail pair of CCM's like the FT490, but get the eyelets all replaced to be the eyelets they use for the custom skate option?

Basically look at the top two eyelets on any top end CCM skate - how can you get those for the entire boot? What type of machine is required to install those eyelets and where to source the eyelets themselves that CCM uses for the factory custom skates?

15 minutes ago, colins said:

Does anyone know if there's any way to buy a retail pair of CCM's like the FT490, but get the eyelets all replaced to be the eyelets they use for the custom skate option?

Basically look at the top two eyelets on any top end CCM skate - how can you get those for the entire boot? What type of machine is required to install those eyelets and where to source the eyelets themselves that CCM uses for the factory custom skates?

Those are just brass eyelets. 

https://blademaster.com/web/en/2606-eyelets

10 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Those are just brass eyelets. 

https://blademaster.com/web/en/2606-eyelets

I have those exact eyelets from Blademaster, and the washers and a press, and they don't match the heft of the top two. If I try to install the Blademaster eyelets without washers they barely catch the material and they are pretty thin. They're the best I've found, for sure, but they don't match the strength of those factory eyelets I'm talking about.

The factory ones need no washers and catch plenty of material.

I'm talking about the top two and very bottom eyelet on these skates:

DUyE2l1.png

On custom CCM skates you can have all eyelets like those 3, from top to bottom - I'm just wondering how to get the equivalent after the fact on a lower model retail skate without having to spend over $1000 on custom skates.

colins

Edited by colins

I think the way they are pressed on is why they look diff/set diff. Just like how hand pressed copper rivets will look different than the coppers on the retails which are done by machine. 

Interested as well, i get a scary pop sometimes when i tighten the laces on the third eyelet from the top.  Probably the area I lace the tightest but by no means do I pull them super tight.  I keep thinking that grommet is going to let loose, and they are pretty new.

20 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

Interested as well, i get a scary pop sometimes when i tighten the laces on the third eyelet from the top.  Probably the area I lace the tightest but by no means do I pull them super tight.  I keep thinking that grommet is going to let loose, and they are pretty new.

My son plays Junior hockey and he gets max about 3-4 months out of a new pair of Jetspeed series skates with the stamped eyelets before they start failing and pulling out.

Very excited to see the new AS 3 Pro comes at retail with no stamped eyelets - they are all like the 3 in the pic above. 

I've been pushing him to move away from CCM skates because it's such a hassle to deal with the failing eyelets mid season, or go full custom at a cost of over $1000 CDN, just down to the cheap eyelets that don't hold up.

colins

2 hours ago, colins said:

My son plays Junior hockey and he gets max about 3-4 months out of a new pair of Jetspeed series skates with the stamped eyelets before they start failing and pulling out.

Very excited to see the new AS 3 Pro comes at retail with no stamped eyelets - they are all like the 3 in the pic above. 

I've been pushing him to move away from CCM skates because it's such a hassle to deal with the failing eyelets mid season, or go full custom at a cost of over $1000 CDN, just down to the cheap eyelets that don't hold up.

colins

Does his junior team cover the cost of any of his gear or do they at least offer gear at cost to the players? If we went with a higher end skate with better materials he would probably be getting a season out of his skates. 

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Does his junior team cover the cost of any of his gear or do they at least offer gear at cost to the players? If we went with a higher end skate with better materials he would probably be getting a season out of his skates. 

No the teams don't pay for skates at that level, its tier-II JrA. 

But this started with the first top of the line Jetspeed (eyelets popped out and ripped through the boot) he had which were replaced under warranty and then it happened to the replacement pair in less than a season.

We stopped buying the high end then and went a model down the lineup and the problem continued. He carries a pair and a backup pair with him for when the cycle starts again. If buying the top end skates fixed it we would have stuck with that route, instead now we go with the custom SMUs that blend the top end and one or two models down features into a sub $600 skate so he can carry two pairs. He's currently got the Jetspeed Control SMU and the Jetspeed 385 in his bag.

Would have walked away from this mess a while ago but the Jetspeed boot is the best fit he's found and when the eyelets aren't failing it's a great performing skate for him.

I haven't priced a full custom option but up to now that's the only way I'm aware of getting good eyelets on a Jetspeed boot at any price point in the lineup. Excited to see that the AS 3 Pro finally brings the good eyelets to a retail boot in the CCM lineup for the first time in a while.

colins