Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PBH

ProSharp Profile Template List

Recommended Posts

Howdy,

Interesting.  I notice that it doesn't have the 50 flat profile on it... Are there others from Prosharp like that one?

I also never knew that the various quads were like the zuperior, where there's a specified size window for each profile!

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The holder sizes are recommendations - it tends to be a bit stricter on the triples than the quads, but now that they have 6 instead of 3, it can be finely tuned a bit better.

The 50mm glide profile that you tried (Hudson V) is a custom profile that No-Icing created.  The graphic above are Prosharp's stock profiles.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to understand this a bit better....

Take a Zuperior M ( for example ) in section/zone 1 is the radius 6ft through that whole section

or is it a variable radius starting at 6ft opening up to 13ft in section one leading into section 2 at 13ft

opening to 20ft leading into 3rd section. Trying to understand how the different radius blend together.

When Pro Sharp machines the template are they moving the virtual center-point of the radius or

cutting a variable radius to blend the different arcs together?

Trying to visualize the geometry of this.

Thanks

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right. I'm curious because the suggested holder of 280 mm for Quad 1 or 2 doesn't correspond with the actual skate size on the graphic. Which for a Quad 2 is 11/12.

And I realize that it really boils down to individual preference anyway.

Previous to moving to a Quad radius he was skating on a 9/10 dual yet the Pro Sharp pdf suggests the 280 holder isn't meant for or recommended for that combo. Very interesting info though.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dave P said:

Trying to understand this a bit better....

Take a Zuperior M ( for example ) in section/zone 1 is the radius 6ft through that whole section or is it a variable radius starting at 6ft opening up to 13ft in section one leading into section 2 at 13ft opening to 20ft leading into 3rd section. Trying to understand how the different radius blend together.

When Pro Sharp machines the template are they moving the virtual center-point of the radius or cutting a variable radius to blend the different arcs together? Trying to visualize the geometry of this.

Thanks

Dave

It's progressive. Imagine a set of steel done up at 20', then following it with a 13' but just grinding in what is zone 2, then doing a 6' just in zone 1, but having the ability to have all of those transitions blended in.  

13 hours ago, Flipper R said:

Right. I'm curious because the suggested holder of 280 mm for Quad 1 or 2 doesn't correspond with the actual skate size on the graphic. Which for a Quad 2 is 11/12.

And I realize that it really boils down to individual preference anyway.

Previous to moving to a Quad radius he was skating on a 9/10 dual yet the Pro Sharp pdf suggests the 280 holder isn't meant for or recommended for that combo. Very interesting info though.

 

12 hours ago, Hockeydad97 said:

Very interesting. I’m on a quad zero put on when I ordered from Tydan and it’s on 254 steel. I’ve had no issues mind you.

Once again; all suggestions/recommendations.  You can put a Q0 on a 230mm.

I'm hoping to get the smaller Zups/Quads to round out the testing but haven't heard back from Prosharp about it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do the Prosharp templates have a certain amount of pitch and/or pivot point offset built-in to them? In other words, if you were to ask for neutral, would the offset be truly neutral or whatever the built-in offset is (say 20mm)? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2019 at 11:05 AM, Deke said:

Do the Prosharp templates have a certain amount of pitch and/or pivot point offset built-in to them? In other words, if you were to ask for neutral, would the offset be truly neutral or whatever the built-in offset is (say 20mm)? 

Some templates have a built-in pitch. If you want to have a neutral pitch you would do the following:

 

  1. Mark the blades pivot point on center (like normal).
  2. Mark an additional pivot point 20mm back from center (closer to heel).
  3. Line up pivot point on the sled with the black dot.
  4. Place blade in the holder with the 20mm back from center lined up with sleds pivot point. Do not clamp yet.
  5. Press left directional arrow till the sleds pivot point lines up with the center pivot point and clamp in place there.
  6. Make your wheel adjustments like normal.
  7. Profile till complete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Some templates have a built-in pitch. If you want to have a neutral pitch you would do the following:

 

  1. Mark the blades pivot point on center (like normal).
  2. Mark an additional pivot point 20mm back from center (closer to heel).
  3. Line up pivot point on the sled with the black dot.
  4. Place blade in the holder with the 20mm back from center lined up with sleds pivot point. Do not clamp yet.
  5. Press left directional arrow till the sleds pivot point lines up with the center pivot point and clamp in place there.
  6. Make your wheel adjustments like normal.
  7. Profile till complete.

Thanks, Nicholas G, that makes sense. I am not a skate tech, I'm just trying figure out if two contours that I have on different sets of steel have different amounts of offset or pitch. First of all, are the offset and pitch the same thing? If not, when would you do one vs the other? Second, do the Quad 0 and Quad 1 templates have the same amount of built-in pitch or offset (whichever is used)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Nicolas G. 

When asking for a quad, can you make adjustments within the quad or is it profiled off of the quad template.  Like on quad 0, could you change any of the 6-9-11-13?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JR, I sent a couple of messages to the PSP email but never got an answer to my 2 questions. I have two specific questions before sending them in: (1) What would you recommend to try for my Marsblades if 8'/13' w/aggressive fwd pitch still feels too flat for me? and (2) The PSP charts go by boot size, but my 288s are a little big for Size 10 skates; so would you suggest moving up to the next largest profile on the size chart or sticking with whatever corresponds to Size 10 boots. I'll send them in as soon as I know what to order. Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by YesLanges

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) This program is for you to try several profiles and through testing, determine what works best for you.  I've stated several times that too many people try to self-diagnose or have a shop try to nail the recommendation on the first try.  That's not what this is about.

2) The template recommendations are strictly that; recommendations.  There is definitely deviation there.  While there are more options now, that further refine the range, you can definitely go over or short on them.

I'll provide an answer to your email in a little bit.  Could've sworn I had responded.  Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 5:17 AM, JR Boucicaut said:

No, it’s a template. It grinds until it achieves the shape the guide roller follows. 

Thanks JR.  I actually watched a video on how they do it, alot more clear now with the template.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...