Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Blade Barber

Blade Barber Handheld Skate Sharpener

Hi Folks,

I just wanted to introduce the Blade Barber to the ModSquad community. It is a hand held skate sharpener that uses a tungsten carbide blade to shave steel from your skate. Each cutter blade is precision CNC ground to match the bite angle of your desired hollow. It has been in development for over 3 years and has been tested by novice players, all the way through to NHL players. This really sharpens skates, it is not just an edge touch up tool. I'm sure many will be skeptical so please ask any and all the questions you have. There is a 5 min learning curve to find the right amount of pressure to apply but after that you'll be sharpening your skates anytime or anywhere.

We are now shipping worldwide and it sells for $50 CAD and will provide about 25 sharpens before dulling. 

I've linked some videos below.

Thanks for your time 

Peter

Edited by Blade Barber

Howdy,

That looks really interesting!  A couple questions...

What sort of finish can you expect from this?

What's the cutter's width and actual diameter?  Or, stated another way, for a given runner width, what's the actual 'radius' / profile of the hollow being cut into the runner?  It seems like this would have to have the center of the hollow more shallow than a true traditional ROH cut, right?  It seems like it would almost be a bit of a flat bottom style sharpening.

In terms of life, are you estimating sharpening 25 pairs of skates, or 12.5 pairs of skates?  Is the cutter element replaceable?

Mark

Great Questions Mark.

The finish is very similar to a traditional sharpen, with perhaps a little less uniformity.

The cutter is designed to match exactly the bite angle of your desired hollow. However, you are right as noted in the video it does taper up ever slightly as it goes past the middle of the hollow, this allows the tool to accommodate different width runners. It is really not even noticeable to the eye. On the ice it does not feel like a flat bottom sharpen but a traditional one. The Carleton Ravens University men's hockey team did some blind testing of the tool and their players could not tell a difference between the Blade Barber and their traditional machine sharpen.

You should get 25 pairs of skates sharpened. It will still work beyond that but it is like shaving with a dull razor it will require more pressure and passes to do the job.

Hope that answers your questions. Happy to answer any more you have.

• Like 1

What does this devise do to the sides of the runner? Is it safe for polished or coated steel? It won’t round off steel like I have seen some edge fresheners do, will it?

Edited by bunnyman666

The Blade Barber only removes material in the hollow just like a standard sharpen. It absolutely will not round off the edges, the tool does nothing to the sides of the runner. 

When an edge is really worn those fresheners are only going to round it off and make it worse.  After you try the Blade Barber you'll be comparing it to your favourite pro shop sharpen and you'll throw your edge fresheners out. 

Many customers are happily using the Blade Barber on polished and coated steel runners. 

Thanks for your questions.

Edited by Blade Barber

Are you able to send the used Blade Barbers back for recycling? 

Seems like a good "just in case" tool for the times where you can't find the time to get a sharpen, or if you like doing one pass before every game to lengthen the time between sharpens.

Are there any downsides to using this? Like what happens if you put too much pressure? Does it take off more metal than a usual sharpen?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leif said:

I don't see how you can ensure level edges without using a BAT gauge. 

Nope, nor without even or consistent pressure. But if the choices are crummy or no sharpening and this devise, this sounds like a better option than going without, and certainty better than some edge refreshing methods. Some hand sharpeners don’t get a good, level and consistent edge, either.  

I am not a hater and there have been times where a slam into the post made me wish I had a tool like this on the bench.

4 hours ago, Giltis said:

Are you able to send the used Blade Barbers back for recycling? 

Seems like a good "just in case" tool for the times where you can't find the time to get a sharpen, or if you like doing one pass before every game to lengthen the time between sharpens.

Are there any downsides to using this? Like what happens if you put too much pressure? Does it take off more metal than a usual sharpen?

Recycling? - Not as of yet we are looking into that, but the plastic handle and aluminum guide plate could be recycled locally. Others have asked about replacement blades, as of right now the blades are by far the most expensive part of the product to manufacture and it would not be cost effective to offer replacements and it could introduce blade alignment problems.

Many people do use it as you describe when they don't have time, pro-shop isn't open,  or are too busy and they are able to stretch out the time between sharpens significantly.

Downsides? - It is not idiot proof, it is a manual tool  - it takes 5 min to learn the right pressure (start very very light)  and to keep it flat on the side of the runner, 95% of people have success with their first sharpen. 

We have had some testers use the tool exclusively for three years (on ice twice a week) and we saw no increased wear as compared to a machine sharpen.

3 hours ago, Leif said:

I don't see how you can ensure level edges without using a BAT gauge. 

If you use the same number of passes on each edge you will be fine. But yes it is a manual tool and if you used it exclusively an edge checker is a good idea or just periodically get your skates machine sharpened.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blade Barber said:

Close Up of Cutter Blade

Hopefully that link above works, I couldn't figure out how to insert images into here.

It does have multiple cutting surfaces like a broach.  It works really well and I can't imagine anyone on modsquadhockey having any problems.

Well, when it comes to tools, some people are lucky to feed themselves with a fork.

But it does look pretty straight forward.

• Haha 1

I applaud anyone willing to put their product up to the ridicule of minutia-obsessed gear geeks like us. I'm also impressed at the civility of both the OP and all subsequent contributors. I like how you answered each question, Blade guy, and will give your tool a try. Thanks!

2 hours ago, NiCnoK said:

I applaud anyone willing to put their product up to the ridicule of minutia-obsessed gear geeks like us. I'm also impressed at the civility of both the OP and all subsequent contributors. I like how you answered each question, Blade guy, and will give your tool a try. Thanks!

People here are reasonable, and it looks like a useful tool. I can imagine someone being away from home, and preferring to use this gadget rather than risk entrusting their edges to an untried sharpener who could screw them up. I suspect it is much better than competing products such as the Sweet Stick (which once ruined my edges). 

I think a product that sits in between something like a Sweet Stick (which I see guys at pickup use every single skate - one guy said he hasn’t had his skates sharpened in two years) and a full sharpening definitely has some value. 

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

I think a product that sits in between something like a Sweet Stick (which I see guys at pickup use every single skate - one guy said he hasn’t had his skates sharpened in two years) and a full sharpening definitely has some value. 

Agreed, the sweet stick is absolute garbage. It single handedly ruined the edges of my daughters teammate during a league semi-final game. Luckily we won and I took her skates home and sharpened them up, but she was so upset during the game that it compounded the issue of having zero edge on her skates. Confidence lost and over thinking began. Never use a sweet stick, ever!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darkhors said:

Agreed, the sweet stick is absolute garbage. It single handedly ruined the edges of my daughters teammate during a league semi-final game. Luckily we won and I took her skates home and sharpened them up, but she was so upset during the game that it compounded the issue of having zero edge on her skates. Confidence lost and over thinking began. Never use a sweet stick, ever!

For sure. I want to just be like... "You know what that thing is actually doing, right?" but decided to just mind my own business. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NiCnoK said:

Thanks Nick, educated early adopters like the folks here at Modsquadhockey are going to make or break this product. 

6 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

We all know guys like that and I don't understand how they can skate on those edges. Those tools ruin an edge just as often as they "freshen" or "extend' one. 

Pretty excited about a message we got last night from a coach in the Swiss National League and thought I'd share  "I am thoroughly impressed!. The edges feel wonderful! Just like a real sharpening" 

I have just purchased some twin packs from your Australian agent, will post an update when they get here as I have a bunch of players who want to try them. All up, if they work as stated I think they will be a great and necessary tool to have in the bag. Initially I'll be using them as an edge "renewer" between sharpens and then will be seeing how long I can go before I need to do a sharpen on the machine. I skate between 15 - 20 hours each week so I currently machine sharpen twice a week.

Do you have a recommendation for the number of passes in different circumstances? Yes I know that is a loaded question because of the different pressures people will apply but say you just want to refresh an edge, one light pass per side, or two etc (based on your experience)?  

This seems like a great tool I'll probably pick one up at least as a "Just in Case" device once the 11/16" becomes available (and probably a 1/2" at the same time for my kids' skates).

You mentioned Carleton Ravens University, are you in Ottawa as well?

4 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Do you have a recommendation for the number of passes in different circumstances? Yes I know that is a loaded question because of the different pressures people will apply but say you just want to refresh an edge, one light pass per side, or two etc (based on your experience)?  

Thank you taking on a chance on the Blade Barber. For a quick refresh I'd start with two passes per edge and see how you like it and then you can adjust from there. Watch the video above and take your time on your first sharpen and you'll be happy. I look forward to reading your update.

46 minutes ago, Giltis said:

This seems like a great tool I'll probably pick one up at least as a "Just in Case" device once the 11/16" becomes available (and probably a 1/2" at the same time for my kids' skates).

You mentioned Carleton Ravens University, are you in Ottawa as well?

Yes we are in Ottawa! I'd be happy to meet up and give you a demo or better yet if you are playing spring/summer hockey we could come and sharpen your team's skates.

2 hours ago, Blade Barber said:

Yes we are in Ottawa! I'd be happy to meet up and give you a demo or better yet if you are playing spring/summer hockey we could come and sharpen your team's skates.

That's a really generous offer, thank you. I will ask the pick up guys that I skate with.

On 3/21/2019 at 11:50 AM, darkhors said:

Can't say I've seen many people use the sweet stick properly or if they know what it's actually doing to their edges.  I cringe when I see someone make more passes with a sweet stick than Scooter Jess on a skate sharpening machine.