Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Goonsquad

MX3 Skate blisters where top of the foot meets bottom of leg

Hey all. Looking for advice on how to fix this issue. I am skating in a retail pair of MX3 Bauer supreme Skates. The fit of the skate is great around the foot but i started to develop blisters where the top of the foot meets up the bottom of the leg on both feet. and its more towards the inside.

I am thinking its loose fit where the tongue is rubbing that area aggressively. Thoughts? Felt tongue might fix the issue? Bunga pads?

And NO I will not accept that the black Tuuks have anything to do with the issue. 

I'm in MX3's also, and they're starting to break down.  The foams inside are pretty thin, so there's more room than there used to be.  The quarters are a little soft, the tongue is pretty flimsy, and the comfort padding on the top edge is wearing out. It's probably time for new skates.  My guess is you're having the same issue as me that is just manifesting differently.

On 3/25/2019 at 10:08 AM, JR Boucicaut said:

Have you always had this happen or was it recently?  How old are the skates?

Fairly recently, right around Oct 2018 i think, lately its caused a blister to develop after just one skate. I've skate in them since August of 2016. 

22 hours ago, psulion22 said:

I'm in MX3's also, and they're starting to break down.  The foams inside are pretty thin, so there's more room than there used to be.  The quarters are a little soft, the tongue is pretty flimsy, and the comfort padding on the top edge is wearing out. It's probably time for new skates.  My guess is you're having the same issue as me that is just manifesting differently.

15 hours ago, mickz said:

Have you tried using the other tongue inserts that came with your skates?

I have not. I am using the X-stiff insert but honestly, that insert has seen better times. It has a pretty good crease on it at the bend. The Reset of the boot has held up well. padding on the sides are still pretty good as well as the comfort edges. The back of the tongue has seen better days. I'll snap a picture of it when i get time as well as the inserts. 

9 hours ago, Goonsquad said:

Fairly recently, right around Oct 2018 i think, lately its caused a blister to develop after just one skate. I've skate in them since August of 2016. 

I have not. I am using the X-stiff insert but honestly, that insert has seen better times. It has a pretty good crease on it at the bend. The Reset of the boot has held up well. padding on the sides are still pretty good as well as the comfort edges. The back of the tongue has seen better days. I'll snap a picture of it when i get time as well as the inserts. 

Flip the insert around. 

On 3/26/2019 at 8:13 PM, JR Boucicaut said:

Flip the insert around. 

On 3/26/2019 at 8:31 PM, Vet88 said:

My son had the same problem, we trimmed the insert, no more issues other than the wear and tear on the tongue.

Here are clearer pics.  of the tongue and insert

https://imgur.com/jolnXLK

https://imgur.com/p8CLLzU

https://imgur.com/8XNdF1J

the point of the insert is in a bad spot. I realize now whats going on. The rubbing from the insert is probably cause the blisters.  the last pic shows the bend line of the tongue and insert. its not bending straight across but diagonal down from the top of one point to a third down from the other point (this is the point digging into the tongue.

I am going to cut and shape it and see if that helps

Edited by Goonsquad

Almost like looking in the mirror. Either trim the side tab or bend it well forward so the top end doesn't sit against the tongue, this will stop it from digging into the tongue and therefore into your foot.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2019 at 11:43 PM, Vet88 said:

Almost like looking in the mirror. Either trim the side tab or bend it well forward so the top end doesn't sit against the tongue, this will stop it from digging into the tongue and therefore into your foot.

Trimming up the insert worked like a charm. no blisters or irritation. Thanks a bunch everyone !

• Like 1