Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Is this holder mounted properly?

On 8/7/2019 at 1:00 PM, Shogun said:

How come you don’t think the rivets on the left skate will hold up?

Bc any hole that has to be expanded had an increased chance of not staying in place as long as a virgin hole (twss) as it allows for excess movement during impact or vibration etc. 

3 hours ago, MCornell said:

Figured this thread was recent enough to ask a holder alignment question on here. I have a pair of pro stock Bauer’s in question. Felt like sharpenings were off (steel was also bent), but have now noticed after never feeling right in Left skate, that holder seems to be misaligned. Is it just me? If not, is this correctable or would the holes be too tight to remount etc. 

Blade/Holder photos

Definitely looks off centered from the heel. 

1 minute ago, Sniper9 said:

Bc any hole that has to be expanded had an increased chance of not staying in place as long as a virgin hole (twss) as it allows for excess movement during impact or vibration etc. 

Definitely looks off centered from the heel. 

The right skate is good. There’s only 1 new hole drilled on the left skates. The new holes that need to be done won’t be extending any previous holes. 

10 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

It looks like they mounted it specifically for the player who might have pronated or supinated...  Can you take picture looking straight down with the whole skate and holder in the picture. 

Skate unfortunately was made for me with my normal specs and no mention of pro/supination.

https://imgur.com/gallery/A8bVEKG  

MCornell, The holder is not centered on the outsole but the outsole is not centered on the boot, so if you look at the position of the holder relative to the boot, it doesn't look as bad and might be within tolerances.

Edited by Larry54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Larry54 said:

MCornell, The holder is not centered on the outsole but the outsole is not centered on the boot, so if you look at the position of the holder relative to the boot, it doesn't look as bad and might be within tolerances.

This is why it can be hard to tell visually. The outsole can be the piece misaligned. Not that the holder isn't too, but if you are just checking the holder relative to the outsole (which is what the eye is automatically drawn to) that's not the real story. Try measuring from the edge of the holder on both sides to the edge of the boot/heel on both skates and see what the difference (if any) is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Check out this job.  The guy owns a custom skate shp in the area and all he does is profiling and skate repair.  Has a great reputation but I am so pissed at the outcome.  When I complained he stated that he has been doing this work forever and that this is "common".  Then said that his focus is centering the holder and ensuring steel is not warped.  

8 hours ago, mrjacobson83 said:

Check out this job.  The guy owns a custom skate shp in the area and all he does is profiling and skate repair.  Has a great reputation but I am so pissed at the outcome.  When I complained he stated that he has been doing this work forever and that this is "common".  Then said that his focus is centering the holder and ensuring steel is not warped.  

What shop? Also, is there supposed to be pics?

Edited by Sniper9

I don’t see what he was trying to accomplish. It doesn’t seem like the holders were moved or angled at all. Just a bunch of new holes. 

what did you ask him to do?

Edited by Buzz_LightBeer

Wow.....  Could've just epoxied the existing holes that he didn't want to potentially expand and redrill those to line up with the holders. Were those oversized holders or just replacing the same size with edge ones?

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I noticed a pair of skates Clayton Keller was wearing recently at Coyotes practice that had extra rivets added to the holders. I wish I would have snapped a picture of it. 

That’s different though - for reinforcement/perhaps blade alignment.

I had him take the skates to my old store and my old ASM fixed them.  Spoke to him and he said every hole lined up, and saw no reason to create new holes.

On 11/13/2019 at 3:28 PM, JR Boucicaut said:

That’s different though - for reinforcement/perhaps blade alignment.

I had him take the skates to my old store and my old ASM fixed them.  Spoke to him and he said every hole lined up, and saw no reason to create new holes.

Glad it worked out for him. 

On 3/29/2019 at 1:00 PM, JR Boucicaut said:

Agreed. The mount is too far towards the toe  

What’s also bad is those rivets were CRANKED.  You can see each one has warped the holder.  Looks like someone doesn’t know how to use a pneumatic riveter. 

Anyone that has this Blademaster Power Riveter machine, what size air compressor is needed to run this pneumatic riveter (eg. 2 gallon or ten gallon, etc,,,). Also what PSI do you run it with?

On 4/3/2019 at 4:03 AM, JR Boucicaut said:

Yes, they do.  The pivot point of the steel is also 9mm forward.  

In the case of 2 sizes up, you need to profile to the boot, not the steel to get the desired effect.  

I'm reviving this thread in the hopes of getting some clarification or opinions from players more experienced than I am with skate modification. Apologies if this is considered necroposting or anything, I regularly visit MSH for info, but haven't actively participated in a forum for years and years now!

My question is about moving up two holder sizes, and whether it's necessary or a potentially bad idea (or if what I'm proposing is even technically a two-size jump?).
My skates are Bauer Vapor X7.0, size 5.5 EE with 254 holders. They're about a ten year old skate at this point but were relatively high end at the time. A benefit of small feet is fitting into junior size skates which come with a lower pricetag!

My stock LS2 steel (size 254) is wearing down and I'd like to replace it as I have no problem with comfort or performance right now. I'd like to at least upgrade to Step Steel, and I've found some online that I can drop in. I'm wondering if I should take this opportunity to experiment with longer runners though. My thinking is that I'm pretty tall relative to my foot size. At 5'11" I'm probably quite a few inches taller than the average size 5.5 skate wearer. As such, most players with my height and stride mechanics would probably be using runners a few sizes larger than mine so I'm wondering if moving up might be useful for me to match the blade contact time to my stride. I've found a few options for size 263 edge holders/runners online such that the service cost of replacement would be the only real additional cost to me versus just getting used 254 Step Steel.

Now, size 5.5 skates normally come with size 247 holders and runners, but EE width skates come with one size higher (not sure why exactly...). The 254 holder already takes up pretty much the entire outsole/footplate, so if I were to go to a 263 it would probably hang over on each end a bit (hoping I can just file that down for cosmetic purposes). However, the comment from a few years ago I quoted at the start made it sound like this change might not be a good idea at all. I'm happy to make the change with full recognition that it may not provide any advantage, but I'd rather not mess with things significantly if it's just going to have to be reversed. I've skated on slowly declining 254 LS2 steel for ages now, so even going to the same size Step Steel may take some adjustment due to the runner height. I'm sure adding new longer/taller holders on top of that will just complicate things, but as long as I can adjust in a few sessions I'll be happy!

I'd like to try the modification, but it certainly has the potential to be more hassle than it's worth, so I'd appreciate any insight folks might have before I dive in.

6 hours ago, Thumper86 said:

I'm reviving this thread in the hopes of getting some clarification or opinions from players more experienced than I am with skate modification. Apologies if this is considered necroposting or anything, I regularly visit MSH for info, but haven't actively participated in a forum for years and years now!

My question is about moving up two holder sizes, and whether it's necessary or a potentially bad idea (or if what I'm proposing is even technically a two-size jump?).
My skates are Bauer Vapor X7.0, size 5.5 EE with 254 holders. They're about a ten year old skate at this point but were relatively high end at the time. A benefit of small feet is fitting into junior size skates which come with a lower pricetag!

My stock LS2 steel (size 254) is wearing down and I'd like to replace it as I have no problem with comfort or performance right now. I'd like to at least upgrade to Step Steel, and I've found some online that I can drop in. I'm wondering if I should take this opportunity to experiment with longer runners though. My thinking is that I'm pretty tall relative to my foot size. At 5'11" I'm probably quite a few inches taller than the average size 5.5 skate wearer. As such, most players with my height and stride mechanics would probably be using runners a few sizes larger than mine so I'm wondering if moving up might be useful for me to match the blade contact time to my stride. I've found a few options for size 263 edge holders/runners online such that the service cost of replacement would be the only real additional cost to me versus just getting used 254 Step Steel.

Now, size 5.5 skates normally come with size 247 holders and runners, but EE width skates come with one size higher (not sure why exactly...). The 254 holder already takes up pretty much the entire outsole/footplate, so if I were to go to a 263 it would probably hang over on each end a bit (hoping I can just file that down for cosmetic purposes). However, the comment from a few years ago I quoted at the start made it sound like this change might not be a good idea at all. I'm happy to make the change with full recognition that it may not provide any advantage, but I'd rather not mess with things significantly if it's just going to have to be reversed. I've skated on slowly declining 254 LS2 steel for ages now, so even going to the same size Step Steel may take some adjustment due to the runner height. I'm sure adding new longer/taller holders on top of that will just complicate things, but as long as I can adjust in a few sessions I'll be happy!

I'd like to try the modification, but it certainly has the potential to be more hassle than it's worth, so I'd appreciate any insight folks might have before I dive in.

If you can find Step Steel XL runners for LS2, they're slightly longer than the regular LS2. I think it's around 4mm longer so it's almost half a size longer.

• Like 1

Funny that this thread gets revived given my "issue" with 288 vs 280 LS Edge Holders. Definitely think that going with 280 is the right choice for me. I'll have to spend more money but hopefully I can find a good Black Friday deal(s) 🙏