Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
grainmaker181

Full Gear Selection Help

greetings everyone,  I've decided to join a recreational league in the fall, I basically need to get everything other than skates.  As I'm over 2 hrs away from the closest hockey shop I will be doing probably all of my purchasing online.  I'm 37, 6'5", 230lbs, I've kept skating through the years but its been awhile since I played pickup hockey in college.  Since its a rec league I could get by on the cheap, gear wise, but I'm going to try and research things and get some decent gear.

Skates - already have purchased some Easton Mako II, found a second pair NOS, should I get a second pair?

Pants - looking at some new old stock easton stealth+1 on sidelineswap

shoulder, shin, and elbow pads - considering NOS sherwood t 90 from online

Helmet - no clue, other than I want a full cage

Stick - currently have a wood montreal stick, I had a sherwood 9950 that i really liked before, Is buying another 9950 dumb, or should I just get something composite right away

Anything else I'm missing?  Any recommendations/tips would be appreciated, especially from the taller guys that will fit similarly to me.

Skates - I love my Mako II's. They're getting harder to find - if the pair you have fit well then definitely buy any Mako II's, M8's and M7's you can find in your size. The only thing currently out there that's similar are True skates and they're MUCH more expensive than NOS Mako II's. That is, unless you've found NOS 8EE's...if that's the case just make due with your current skates and DM me to let me know where I can buy them :).

Pants - I prefer girdles and shells myself. I like my Warrior Projekt girdle, but if I was buying today I'd look at the new QRE Girdle.

shoulder, shin, and elbow pads - I would take a serious look at the RX3 line on the STX site. They're selling them direct; so you can get top of the line pads for MUCH less than by buying retail and they're current models with plenty of stock in all sizes.

Helmet - The Warrior Alpha Pro I have is pretty comfortable for my head and I also like the old Easton E700, but helmets (like skates) are really something that's hard to buy without trying it on. As for a cage, I'd recommend one of the Titanium cages with flat bars. They're light, have good visibility and won't rust. Bauer makes the Reakt titanium cage and CCM made the Fitlite (I think it's discontinued). The Reakt fits a little shorter and narrower in the same size vs. the Fitlite (the Fitlite fits my face better, but the Reakt may fit you better).

Stick - if you know what curve you like then looking for a clearance stick with that curve and your preferred flex for under $100 wouldn't be a bad idea. Composite sticks are much lighter and provide more pop. It's not a must buy as you can get by with a wood stick, but it'd be a nice upgrade.

• Thanks 1

thanks for the advice, I checked out stx, I do like how their gear looks, I'm definitely going to consider it.

I'm trying the Facebook ad for the makos you posted in the other thread, the have my size so I might pick up a second pair from them.

• Like 1

If the LHS is a store with lots of selection, I would make the 2hr drive, as I drive 1.5hrs to my LHS it is worth it in the long run.
My #1 reason I suggest this is because pads dont always fit the way the sizing charts suggest. 
It's a pain in the you know what, trying to deal with returning pads, only to try others, and return them too. (My friend did this instead of going with me)
When you are getting your initial set up, you can try on all the sizes and models of pads and helmets and find what fits you best, and after that you can place orders online since you know your size/model.

Everyone is built differently, and what fits one guy, might not fit you.
Even the shape of your head will dictate what model of helmet you should get, and the wrong model of helmet can give you headaches.

I went to my LHS when I was starting to play again after a 10 year absence, and I have a mixture of brand/model pads, but they all fit me and I'm very comfortable when playing. 

• Thanks 1

I bought kit in store to make sure it fitted. IMO it’s worth getting a high end helmet, and shorts. Low end shorts have almost no coccyx protection. Mine have thick padding. However, you might not feel bum impacts as much as I do. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bondoao1 said:

If the LHS is a store with lots of selection, I would make the 2hr drive, as I drive 1.5hrs to my LHS it is worth it in the long run.
My #1 reason I suggest this is because pads dont always fit the way the sizing charts suggest. 
It's a pain in the you know what, trying to deal with returning pads, only to try others, and return them too. (My friend did this instead of going with me)
When you are getting your initial set up, you can try on all the sizes and models of pads and helmets and find what fits you best, and after that you can place orders online since you know your size/model.

Everyone is built differently, and what fits one guy, might not fit you.
Even the shape of your head will dictate what model of helmet you should get, and the wrong model of helmet can give you headaches.

I went to my LHS when I was starting to play again after a 10 year absence, and I have a mixture of brand/model pads, but they all fit me and I'm very comfortable when playing. 

This.  I have huge calves and almost got the CCM Super Tacks shin guards since they are the bulkier traditional fit.  I went to the store and they didn’t fit.  I tried the Bater S190 which had a different fit profile, anatomical. Those fit me beautifully.

• Thanks 1

thanks for the replies,  I hadn't really considered going to the local store, mostly cause of the time it would take (i'll spare you the details of work/family commitments).  I will at least call them to see what they have and gauge their knowledge of fitting someone. 

It is overwhelming looking at the equipment manufacturers websites and trying to make a decision without just thinking that buying the top of the line is the only way to go, and I don't really have any preference when it comes to manufacturers, and from looking at equipment lists on here it seems like most everyone mixes and matches.

It was nice to hear directly from someone at stx that is on here via pm

I just bought STX elbows and i love them, i had to order a couple sizes and send the ones that didn’t fit back.  Things fit differently and different designs may feel different.  It really helps to try them on whichever route you go.  Some places online charge restocking fees so ordering a bunch of stuff with the intent of returning can cost extra (just happened to me almost).

Yes, being able to try things on is always best and it is worth driving to a good shop with a lot of selection if that's possible. With that said, STX does provide free returns and shipping (both ways over a certain order minimum...if you're ordering a bunch of products you'd have no problem meeting that threshold) for 14 days on their top of the line products if you're in the US. The only STX product I've used is their Surgeon 500 gloves, but I love them and they've held up very well (the RX3 gloves are the latest models). I don't believe they currently ship to Canada, so if you're a Canadian like I am then you'd have to get it shipped to a friend or P.O. Box in the US.

On 4/3/2019 at 12:26 AM, grainmaker181 said:

It is overwhelming looking at the equipment manufacturers websites and trying to make a decision without just thinking that buying the top of the line is the only way to go, and I don't really have any preference when it comes to manufacturers, and from looking at equipment lists on here it seems like most everyone mixes and matches.

I've kinda muddle through this and in hindsight, should have just gone to a shop and did it in person with someone with some knowledge of fitting.  Most on my equipment was either hand-me-down from other family members or picked up used at swap meets, auction sites, etc.

Definitely DON'T feel like you need to go top of the line.  Frankly in most cases (and I believe there are old threads on here that will back me up), the basic models in most line-ups are going to be more than sufficient.  As you go higher in price you might get a bit more protection coverage, but it is mostly about weight savings and creature comforts related to fit (nicer materials, better knee donut in your shins, more comfortable strapping, etc.)

I went from a pair of APX2 (top model) shins that were 1 size too small (hand me down) to Supreme 150s (basic entry model) and there are definitely some things I miss from the APX, but for the most part they are minor.  I don't feel any less protected in the 150s. 

Kinda late to this thread.

First off, the older I get the more selective I get about gear ( for anything ).

I'd figure out some way, even if it involved a whole day off, to travel to a well stocked

store, hopefully at a time when they weren't real busy and try on every thing 1st.

Granted sometimes you have to play in it a bit to decide it sucks, but usually

within 30 seconds of trying it on you'll have a clue.

Better yet if the sale's person knows gear....a crap shoot for sure, but you can hope!

I'll spend the extra money for comfort or protection, in the whole scheme of

things a few hundred bucks one way or the other ain't gonna matter.

Dave