Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
z1ggy

Expensive bags worth it?

Expensive Gear Bag  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I will pay for superior materials, flawless construction, and a few features. For me, Mammoth fit the bill. Yes- it came with kitschy things like a bottle opener, but the premium features like the aluminium handles, seat belt straps and the like made it a fantastic bag for me. 

I would like a bag constructed like the Mammoth but very simple when I buy again. I paid plenty for it, but it isn’t falling apart. I surmise the next time I buy will be quite a ways away. 

• Like 1

So I ended up in hockey monkey yesterday and picked up the Warrior Q20 bag. It felt pretty light weight, had the U shaped opening and side pockets for helmet/skate. I did see the pro stock bags but even though I do think they have better materials, they just don't really appeal to me as much.

If this thing starts to tear up after only a year or two then I may consider something like Mammoth, C&B, etc. I'm probably very spoiled that my iTech literally lasted me 15 years. 

What do you all like better about the U shaped opening? I feel like the straight opening zipper is easier to access the cavity of the bag, and I don’t have to actually zippier it closed, as the top of the bag holds everything in. 

Also, I’d worry that the bend of the U creates more places for the zipper to catch or break. That might not actually be logical.  

Dunno, to me, U shape is like a flap, you peel it open and the entire inside is exposed. The straight open zipper I felt like I had to hold one side back to make the opening wide enough to my liking.

Plus the straight zip bags they had didn't have external or internal pockets large enough for helmet or skates. Again, somewhat illogical but I just like having a large pocket for those 2 items specifically. I don't mind tossing tapes, pucks, etc into a large zip lock or other bag but I do like pockets for containing that stuff, too. One giant hole to just cram all my items into isn't for me.

37 minutes ago, start_today said:

For the “designer” bags, anyone have any thoughts on Conway Banks vs Pacific Rink vs Mammoth, or any other brands to throw into the mix?

We sell Conway+Banks bags and for the cost they are amazing. Hands down the best bag you can buy at the price range. 

Pacific Rink is too costly. You are paying for a brand name and nothing really special IMO.

Never personally used Mammoth, but I hear good things. 

The new TRUE bags are very nice and are decently priced. Same with Warrior bags. 

I have a 20 year old easton bag that doesn't look a year old.  The nylon (or whatever material it is made of) is really heavy and so are the zippers.  But I still wish someone made something like the old Cooper Hockey Locker with not only skate pockets on the outside but a couple accessory ones as well.  I think they had one or two compartments at the end, plus another little one on the side between the skate pockets.

I have a Pacific Rink bag. I love it. Lots of storage/pockets. I'm a pack rat. And I can carry it like a backpack or regular bag. Cheap $50 bags usually last me 1-2 years, and they're falling apart after the first year. The Pacific Rink bag has lasted me 5, and it's still in great shape. It's probably going to last another 5 years. Is it pricey? Yes. But I got it on sale, and IMHO, that was the sweet spot. Worth every cent. For me, the other bags just don't have enough storage.

Edited by puckpilot