Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Suggestions on how to remove construction grade adhesive on blade holders

A customer brought in a pair of skates that had a broken holder and wanted them to be replaced.

After removing the rivets I'm finding that the holder is also secured to the boot with some type of construction grade adhesive, something similar to a liquid nails.

Any suggestions on how to get this off?

I tried using some non-aggressive solvents to loosen it and they didn't work. I don't want to damage the composite of the skate, which is also why I'm afraid to try and just pry it off.

I asked him to reach out to the shop that did the installation to see if he could find out what specific adhesive was used so that I could contact the manufacturer so I can use the right chemical to soften it for removal.

This is a pair of TUUK Edge holders on AS1 skates. 

Howdy,

If you're ditching the holders anyway, perhaps some judicious cutting / grinding would help?

Where you go from there will depend on how well the adhesive is bonded to the boot.  If its really on there, I'd probably just sand it down until it was just a very, very thin layer.

Seems like it will be tedious / time consuming.  May not be worth it if time is turning into money in some manner.

Mark

2 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

If you're ditching the holders anyway, perhaps some judicious cutting / grinding would help?

Where you go from there will depend on how well the adhesive is bonded to the boot.  If its really on there, I'd probably just sand it down until it was just a very, very thin layer.

Seems like it will be tedious / time consuming.  May not be worth it if time is turning into money in some manner.

Mark

Well, I'm already committed to getting it finished and while going the mechanical route is an option I was hoping there might be a solvent option.

Whatever they used it's super strong, I threw the skate in the skate oven for about two and a half minutes and didn't even soften whatever that adhesive is. 

47 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Well, I'm already committed to getting it finished and while going the mechanical route is an option I was hoping there might be a solvent option.

Whatever they used it's super strong, I threw the skate in the skate oven for about two and a half minutes and didn't even soften whatever that adhesive is

is the Skate oven hot enough? 

the Liquid nails site said to use a heat gun or blow dryer to soften the adhesive

https://www.liquidnails.com/how-to/how-to-remove-construction-adhesives

3 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Whatever they used it's super strong, I threw the skate in the skate oven for about two and a half minutes and didn't even soften whatever that adhesive is. 

Meh, I'd steer clear of solvents in general. Anything that breaks up adhesives like you've described is going to be pretty nasty, may even damage the composite in the process. 

Best bet, just keep chipping away at it by hand. I find a dremmel tool with a sanding cylinder makes pretty quick work of that sort of stuff. 

16 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Meh, I'd steer clear of solvents in general. Anything that breaks up adhesives like you've described is going to be pretty nasty, may even damage the composite in the process. 

Best bet, just keep chipping away at it by hand. I find a dremmel tool with a sanding cylinder makes pretty quick work of that sort of stuff. 

What a freaking nightmare. I have never seen anyone use any type of adhesive so strong before. I dont understand what they were thinking. It's not like silicone or something to hold it in place. I really dont understand why on earth they did this. 

Is putting silicone all around to keep water from getting inside the holders a good idea?

I've seen some folks do it, but I was thinking that the water's going to get in anyways, and you'll never completely make it watertight so you're in fact making it worse by trapping water inside.

14 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Oven gets to 225F so it's pretty hot. I can't really go any hotter for fear of ruining the skate. 

Well with the heat gun its localized heating and the heat output can get higher than 200 F. Liquid nails suggest layer petroleum Jelly or Mineral spirits to soften the adhesive for extended periods of time. Maybe soak a paper towel with mineral spirits and lay on top to the adhesive only?

In my shop ( not a skate shop ) I'd bandsaw the holders close to the boots and then use a stationary belt sander

being careful not to get things too hot. With care you can be very accurate with stock removal. 

This would also be pretty quick.

Granted the process is pretty foreign to a skate shop.

In the whole scheme of things the repair might not be worth doing....send em back

to who ever bonded them on in the first place. 

Dave 

Edited by Dave P