Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sniper9

CCM skate durability

I currently own retail CCM as1s and have had them for just shy of three months. I play roughly once a week and although the last few ice times have been fairly competitive as I was in a tournament and also beer league playoffs. 

My last skates were Trues that were Rock solid after 1.5 years. Ended up selling them to get the as1s (which I now regret)  Prior to that were Bauer one100s that lasted me 7 years.  

My as1s have taken a beating and it shows with gashes and scratches etc. That part doesn't bother me but today I noticed a small 1/2 inch dent in the inside of my right heel. I felt it and that area is soft and I can push slightly. The surrounding composite is still hard but I have no idea how this happened. If I blocked a shot I would have remembered, but it could've been a a clearing attempt or shot that wasn't very hard but hard enough to cause the damage. 

I also noticed that although the boot itself is still pretty stiff when I handle it, when on my feet it feels like it's flexing a lot more than when it was new. I'm only 165 lbs so I'm not a heavy guy. I heard from my uncle that the CCM skates just don't hold up as he has seen a lot of minor hockey kids' CCM skates that donye even last a season. I didn't think this would be an issue for me as I play once a week. 

Just wondering if this is the general consensus with ccms skates, particularly the as1 and ft1.  I know part of the ft2 marketing is that they state they are more durable so this makes me think CCM.is aware of the issue at least with the ft1?

My skates are still under warranty by about a week but Im not going to bother going through the warranty process and get new skates since I did spend a lot of time making these fit perfectly. 

PS. These skates have only been baked once and spot heated in areas not related to the area of concern. No punching etc either. 

Edited by Sniper9

They're fine. I wouldn't even worry about it. 

As for the softening, that's what skates are supposed to do as they break in.

5 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I currently own retail CCM as1s and have had them for just shy of three months. I play roughly once a week and although the last few ice times have been fairly competitive as I was in a tournament and also beer league playoffs. 

My last skates were Trues that were Rock solid after 1.5 years. Ended up selling them to get the as1s (which I now regret)  Prior to that were Bauer one100s that lasted me 7 years.  

My as1s have taken a beating and it shows with gashes and scratches etc. That part does bother me but today I noticed a small 1/2 inch dent in the inside of my right heel. I felt it and that area is soft and I can push slightly. The surrounding composite is still hard but I have no idea how this happened. If I blocked a shot I would have remembered, but it could've been a a clearing attempt or shot that wasn't very hard but hard enough to cause the damage. 

I also noticed that although the boot itself is still pretty stiff when I handle it, when on my feet it feels like it's flexing a lot more than when it was new. I'm only 165 lbs so I'm not a heavy guy. I heard from my uncle that the CCM skates just don't hold up as he has seen a lot of minor hockey kids' CCM skates that donye even last a season. I didn't think this would be an issue for me as I play once a week. 

Just wondering if this is the general consensus with ccms skates, particularly the as1 and ft1.  I know part of the ft2 marketing is that they state they are more durable so this makes me think CCM.is aware of the issue at least with the ft1?

My skates are still under warranty by about a week but Im not going to bother going through the warranty process and get new skates since I did spend a lot of time making these fit perfectly. 

PS. These skates have only been baked once and spot heated in areas not related to the area of concern. No punching etc either. 

I personally would warranty them. Regardless of how much time you spent getting them dialed in, they are of no use to you if they have a catastrophic failure. 

Curious to hear what CCM says about a warranty claim on a hockey skate that was damaged during a hockey game.

Edited by stick9
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On my team, I find that CCM skates just don't hold up as well in their top-of-the-line products. Nothing scientific, but I'm not surprised by what you're saying at all.

Moving forward, I'd try to stick with what worked for you

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

My as1s have taken a beating and it shows with gashes and scratches etc. That part doesn't bother me but today I noticed a small 1/2 inch dent in the inside of my right heel. I felt it and that area is soft and I can push slightly. The surrounding composite is still hard but I have no idea how this happened. If I blocked a shot I would have remembered, but it could've been a a clearing attempt or shot that wasn't very hard but hard enough to cause the damage. 

What are some advantages of the CCMs over trues?

Just now, maximus91 said:

What are some advantages of the CCMs over trues?

Without getting too off topic. The trues overall fit and durability / stiffness I liked better. They never got soft and the fit was the same since day one. Way better protection and I didn't have to tinker with how I laced them for them to fit perfect.  Resisted gashes and cuts very well. 

If I were to do it over again I would've kept my trues. Oh well. 

4 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

I personally would warranty them. Regardless of how much time you spent getting them dialed in, they are of no use to you if they have a catastrophic failure. 

Maybe a part of me just wants a reason to go back to Trues 🤪

You've owned Trues and now have used the CCM's for just a little under 90 days and you find you like the Trues better. Using CCM's 90 day satisfaction guarantee and ordering some new Trues ASAP seems like the logical solution. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, althoma1 said:

You've owned Trues and now have used the CCM's for just a little under 90 days and you find you like the Trues better. Using CCM's 90 day satisfaction guarantee and ordering some new Trues ASAP seems like the logical solution. 

Unfortunately mine aren't covered under satisfaction guarantee as I purchased it way below retail but is still covered under warranty. 

5 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Unfortunately mine aren't covered under satisfaction guarantee as I purchased it way below retail but is still covered under warranty. 

CCM doesn't ask for a receipt and the entire satisfaction guarantee is actually handled by the store. 

Clearly the OP is not happy with his or her AS1's. At this point I believe he or she is just looking for an excuse to ditch them. Filing a warranty claim on an item that was damaged during play is screwing CCM for something they had noting to do with. This is not a manufacturing defect...hell its not even a durability issue. You want to know why sticks and skates are so expensive and why smaller companies don't last, here you go.

Encouraging that without even seeing a pic let alone the actual skate itself....wow.

Edited by stick9
  • Like 1

A warranty and a satisfaction guarantee are two different things. The warranty would cover defects or unreasonable failures, but a satisfaction guarantee would cover someone simply not being happy with his skates and preferring another model. If the claim falls under the satisfaction guarantee then no pictures should be needed as that's supposed to be a no questions asked guarantee according to the CCM page of the HM site:

Satisfaction Guaranteed - Or Your Money Back!

We're so sure that you'll love your new CCM Ice Hockey Skates that if you aren't satisfied for any reason, we'll take them back within 90 days of purchase - no questions asked. If you aren't completely satisfied with your purchase - you can return them for a full refund. This offer is valid for specially marked CCM Tacks, JetSpeed & RibCor Skates. Only models listed on this page qualify for this offer. Discontinued or clearance CCM Tacks Skates are not eligible for this promotion. Customers who wish to return their skates need to call customer service to initiate a standard merchandise return within the return period. Upon receipt and inspection of the skates, the customer will be provided a refund for the purchase amount of the skates.

Sounds reasonable, a satisfaction guaranteed promise is a marketing tool, so you should take advantage of it. I returned Superfeet for a refund as I hated them. 

My Bauer 2s Pros are wearing well, but my friends Trues are built like tanks.

• Like 1

I preferred my Trues but I like the as1s quite a bit.

I can't confirm whether the "damage" was due to premature breakdown for whatever reason, or from an actual incident during one of my games. I would only assume it was from taking a puck or slash or something but there are no cosmetic blemishes like puck marks etc on that area so no I have no idea. 

I'm not trying to use the warranty or potential satisfaction guarantee as an excuse to get rid or the skates. I'd rather keep these skates bc I've gotten them to the point where they are dialed in for me. I did admit I'd rather have Trues and if I could do it over again I would've kept my trues. 

As for pics, it doesn't show up on the camera bc of where it is. The area that has the grey/silver graphic. 

6 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

CCM doesn't ask for a receipt and the entire satisfaction guarantee is actually handled by the store. 

How would that even work for the store then? They do the refund and CCM swaps the used pair with a new one so the store had a new one to sell again?

2 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

How would that even work for the store then? They do the refund and CCM swaps the used pair with a new one so the store had a new one to sell again?

CCM issuea a credit to the stores account. The store then either sells you a new pair of skates or refunds you your money. Whatever the customer decides. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 7:37 AM, stick9 said:

Curious to hear what CCM says about a warranty claim on a hockey skate that was damaged during a hockey game.

How is this diff than sticks breaking within 30 days and was during game play?  Even if it was obvious it was due to a blocked shot, getting pucks off your equipment, imo, is part of the game and part of regular play. It's not like it was sliced in half by a skate blade which is more rare and something that would be considered more of a freak accident. 

21 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

How is this diff than sticks breaking within 30 days and was during game play?  Even if it was obvious it was due to a blocked shot, getting pucks off your equipment, imo, is part of the game and part of regular play. It's not like it was sliced in half by a skate blade which is more rare and something that would be considered more of a freak accident. 

it's more like the toe of the blade chipping, still usable and no real signs that the stick is going to break. Once it breaks it's no longer a functional piece of equipment. I'm assuming your skates are still fully functional.

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

it's more like the toe of the blade chipping, still usable and no real signs that the stick is going to break. Once it breaks it's no longer a functional piece of equipment. I'm assuming your skates are still fully functional.

Well only time will tell if it turns into something worse.  That is my only concern at this point.  I could care less if it stays this way forever, as you are right it's totally functional right now. 

And to reply your previous post about durability, I do think CCM has a durability issue whether it's related to structure/integrity or not, the boots aren't very resilient against deep gashes and wear. 

2 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Well only time will tell if it turns into something worse.  That is my only concern at this point.  I could care less if it stays this way forever, as you are right it's totally functional right now. 

And to reply your previous post about durability, I do think CCM has a durability issue whether it's related to structure/integrity or not, the boots aren't very resilient against deep gashes and wear. 

Don't confuse durability with normal game wear. It's not really something you can measure. One person may be fine, the next not so much.

8 hours ago, stick9 said:

Don't confuse durability with normal game wear. It's not really something you can measure. One person may be fine, the next not so much.

If you compare the "wear" on trues Bauer and CCM, there will definitely be a marked difference. Also how a product is able to withstand wear will also determine overall durability over time. Ie a skate that can resist skate blade cuts/gashes better will have better overall durability. Same goes for ability to withstand blocking shots etc. 

I'm not arguing that over time due to the nature of the sport all equipment will wear down. But how fast something wears under the same/similar condition is in fact due to it's durability. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1

Sniper9,

I have new pair of CCM Jetspeed FT490s (also one-piece boot) and I have had the exact same issue. The first pair that I had lasted about a month and I had to return them to Pure Hockey for a replacement. I took a hard pass on the inside of the boot, near the ankle, and it blew a whole through the side of the boot (inch and a half laceration), causing carbon delamination. The structural integrity of the boot was completely compromised. Pure Hockey replaced them with no issue and they were shocked, they proceeded to ask what league I played in! For reference, this was just a heard pass in an A-League Adult League. Fast forward to the other day, and I must have fallen and a guy stepped on the exact same location, causing another gash through the carbon fiber (not nearly as bad) into the side the new boots, but I can't tell if it punctured the side wall. I have since used a minor clear sealant to ensure no water leaks into the liner. I am still within the 90 day satisfaction guarantee, but needless to say, the durability on the one-piece boot is garbage compared to my 8 year old Bauer Supreme S180s that were tanks. I am tempted to switch back to Bauer, but I do love the fit and feel of the Jetspeed skates. Hope this helps, but I promise you, we can't be the only ones experiencing this.  

On 10/22/2019 at 10:55 AM, RMBarc said:

Sniper9,

I have new pair of CCM Jetspeed FT490s (also one-piece boot) and I have had the exact same issue. The first pair that I had lasted about a month and I had to return them to Pure Hockey for a replacement. I took a hard pass on the inside of the boot, near the ankle, and it blew a whole through the side of the boot (inch and a half laceration), causing carbon delamination. The structural integrity of the boot was completely compromised. Pure Hockey replaced them with no issue and they were shocked, they proceeded to ask what league I played in! For reference, this was just a heard pass in an A-League Adult League. Fast forward to the other day, and I must have fallen and a guy stepped on the exact same location, causing another gash through the carbon fiber (not nearly as bad) into the side the new boots, but I can't tell if it punctured the side wall. I have since used a minor clear sealant to ensure no water leaks into the liner. I am still within the 90 day satisfaction guarantee, but needless to say, the durability on the one-piece boot is garbage compared to my 8 year old Bauer Supreme S180s that were tanks. I am tempted to switch back to Bauer, but I do love the fit and feel of the Jetspeed skates. Hope this helps, but I promise you, we can't be the only ones experiencing this.  

Return it. Oland if you want to get yet another replacement, get shot blockers.