Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
bogeywhite

Best bearings for the money

I have skates one season on BEVO abec 9 bearings (these) and they're slow as molasses. They won't hold a hand spin for more then 15-20 seconds at best. They're not a serviceable model so i'm not sure what I can do in terms of lubrication to make them better.

I'm looking to get a new set but not break the bank, maybe $60-80. I've heard conflicting arguments on how much ABEC/Swiss rating makes a difference, and it seems as though the manufacturer of the bearing may make a bigger difference in their performance. I've been considering Bones super reds, Sonic swiss, Revision ABEC 9, and HELO Quark bearings. Any suggestions on what's the best for the price point?

I'd go bones reds or super reds most people I know use them and like them. I don't have any experience with the other ones you've listed.

Probably a good idea to invest in some lubricant (bones speed cream etc.) and clean them fairly often, just depends how dirty the surface you're playing on is.

As far as Swiss vs abec goes everything I've read suggest that Abec rating is fairly irrelevant for skating. Where the bearing is manufactured is more important, generally a Swiss made bearing will be better than a Chinese made bearing. This can be confusing because a lot of manufactures sell a "Swiss" bearing that's actually made in china. It's just a marketing word for a lot of companies

Also, an actual Swiss made bearing is likely out of your price range so I wouldn't worry about that.

Edited by Isles12

Some people have the opinion that there are differences in bearings but they would not be relevant as long as they are not defective. If a wheel spins 15-20 seconds without making a noise the bearings should be ok. The spinning time tells nothing about the behavior under load. A not serviceable bearing has grease as a lubricant needing to run in for about 50km and should be warm. A serviceable oil-lubricated bearing needs almost no running in time and spins better but has to be serviced! High quality bearings (100% european/us/japan made) should have a longer livetime and can make a difference for  competitive long distance speedskating. But for inlinehockey the bearings have to stand the lateral stress caused by stopping and the sudden change of directions. So high quality low ABEC/ILQ bearings could do it better than more expensive midprice highend-bearings. I had the chance to get some greased SKF-ABEC5-skate-bearings (german manufacturer, 18 euro/16 bearings, online auction) and they are going into second season outside-hockey two to three times a week without any service.

But there is a big noticeable difference if you have high quality wheels beeing optimzied for your skating-style, weight, skating-surface and even the temperature of your rink. So spend your money for wheels and not for bearings.

• Like 1

I currently use the Inline Warehouse ABEC 7 bearings. Not pricey but they are serviceable. I clean them with the Sonic power wash and use Bones Speed Cream for a lubricant. All in all they have done really well for me with not a lot of money out of pocket. A lot of times they have a deal if you buy a set of wheels, the bearings are half off. 

On 4/29/2019 at 12:41 PM, Wicked3Aussie said:

I like Bones super Swiss 6 

Best bearings i've ever used and it seems everybody has caught on. The price on Super 6 has really gone over up the last few years.  It's a shame, I need new bearings now but I can't dish out $100+ anymore.  I'm considering dropping back down to super reds, but I've been so spoiled with super 6. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tgwl said:

Best bearings i've ever used and it seems everybody has caught on. The price on Super 6 has really gone over up the last few years.  It's a shame, I need new bearings now but I can't dish out $100+ anymore.  I'm considering dropping back down to super reds, but I've been so spoiled with super 6. 

Yeah they’re the minimiser idea done properly.

I have used super reds last a while no complaints.  Son had abec7 from inline he liked them.  Wasnt impressed with labeda swiss.  These didn't last long.  Currently running yellow jacket stingers.  So far so good. They are a definite up grade from the hilo abec7 the skates came with.

Agree with others about bones Swiss 6 but I went one step further I replaced the OG balls with ceramic balls.

If you can get your hands onto Rons rocket bearings there probably the best your going to get & they are competitively priced !