Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
michael1zfan

Supreme S29 vs Totalone NXG

I'm in my 3rd session of beer league over 30 after playing roller hockey for about 15 years (haven't played league hockey for about 10 years). I'm currently on X40's that are a little large and they're absolutely killing my feet. I cracked a holder a couple weeks back, and thought it would be a good opportunity to upgrade. I've been looking at the S29's, which are about the top of my price range. I was at a local shop this weekend trying on a pair of S29's, and the guy helping me said he had a deal I might be interested in - he brought out a pair of clearance totalone nxg's in my size that are on sale for less than the S29.

How much of an adjustment is it going to be jumping from an unmoldable $120 skate to an upper tier (albeit slightly vintage) NXG? A couple guys have told me that the boot may be extremely stiff for someone that hasn't ice skated for all that long, but I'm interested to hear some more opinions. The only issue with the NXG is that I liked the feel of the EE width in the S29, but the NXG is a D. Should I take the leap for the NXG, or just go for the more current S29?

Been reading a ton on here about the NXG the last couple days. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Edited by michael1zfan

Howdy,

I would get the one that fit my feet the best.  A "good deal" is only a good deal if its for something that works for your feet.

Mark

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What Marka said. I love to get clearance deals, but they're only good deals if they actually fit you well. If the D width NXGs are just snug around your feet with very mild pressure points then those can be baked and/or punched out. If they squeeze your foot painfully like they're in a vice then you should pass on them. What I would suggest is going back to the store, putting them on, tying them up and stand and walk around in them for at least 20 minutes. If there are only mild pressure points after that then you could grab them. If your feet are in extreme discomfort then pass on the NXGs.

Now, even if the NXGs don't work in a D, you could always look for a clearance pair of Supremes in EE that are better than the S29. You might be able to find stock of the S180 or S190 in your size somewhere. Of course, you'd want to confirm the fit and I wouldn't limit yourself to only Supremes. Trying on as many models as you can when buying new skates is always a good idea. Supremes may fit you well, but there may be another model you haven't tried on that fits you better. At worst, you'll try on other models like CCM Tacks, Jetspeeds, Ribcores and Bauer Nexus and Vapor and find that Supreme is still the best fit. Or you may find that one of those models fits you even better with almost no negative space, great heel lock and no areas of pain or discomfort. 

Edited by althoma1

NXGs aren’t vintage - that’s a tremendous skate by today’s standards.

I’d go with the D width in that skate as it’s the equivalent of an E width on Bauer’s baseline scale - the supremes are built on an oversized last. It’s a super moldable boot and I have a feeling the EE S29 will be sloppy after break in.

Remember skates are supposed to fit snug and minimize negative space as opposed to fitting like a sneaker for comfort. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I would get the one that fit my feet the best.  A "good deal" is only a good deal if its for something that works for your feet.

Mark

Thanks, Mark. I agree. Being my first go-round with a thermoformable skate, I'm unsure what is "too tight" vs how the skate will form around my foot after baking. That's probably why the EE feels more comfortable, but I'm thinking I would be best served to go with a D width, after reading what althoma1 said.

22 hours ago, althoma1 said:

What Marka said. I love to get clearance deals, but they're only good deals if they actually fit you well. If the D width NXGs are just snug around your feet with very mild pressure points then those can be baked and/or punched out. If they squeeze your foot painfully like they're in a vice then you should pass on them. What I would suggest is going back to the store, putting them on, tying them up and stand and walk around in them for at least 20 minutes. If there are only mild pressure points after that then you could grab them. If your feet are in extreme discomfort then pass on the NXGs.

Now, even if the NXGs don't work in a D, you could always look for a clearance pair of Supremes in EE that are better than the S29. You might be able to find stock of the S180 or S190 in your size somewhere. Of course, you'd want to confirm the fit and I wouldn't limit yourself to only Supremes. Trying on as many models as you can when buying new skates is always a good idea. Supremes may fit you well, but there may be another model you haven't tried on that fits you better. At worst, you'll try on other models like CCM Tacks, Jetspeeds, Ribcores and Bauer Nexus and Vapor and find that Supreme is still the best fit. Or you may find that one of those models fits you even better with almost no negative space, great heel lock and no areas of pain or discomfort. 

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely do that, and try wearing the NXG for a longer period of time. I would consider the D width to have only mild pressure points in the supremes, but the Vapors that I tried on were probably too narrow.

To this point, I've tried Tacks, Jetspeeds, Nexus and Vapors, and I still like the feel of the Supremes to this point. None of the 3 stores I've been to have had the Ribcore in my size. In my searching, I've found the S180's online, but nowhere close to me has them in store to try on. I'm going back to that store next week to try out the NXG again,  and I'll go from there. Thank you!

20 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

NXGs aren’t vintage - that’s a tremendous skate by today’s standards.

I’d go with the D width in that skate as it’s the equivalent of an E width on Bauer’s baseline scale - the supremes are built on an oversized last. It’s a super moldable boot and I have a feeling the EE S29 will be sloppy after break in.

Remember skates are supposed to fit snug and minimize negative space as opposed to fitting like a sneaker for comfort. 

Thanks, cavs019. I appreciate the advice, and that's what I just wasn't sure about with the molding process. I also tried a set of speedplates in the NXG, and that made them feel even better. I think the arch support from the speedplates were helpful.

This is probably a dumb question, but would a skate from 2012 still be honored under any sort of manufacturers warranty, since purchased new in box?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, michael1zfan said:

Thanks, Mark. I agree. Being my first go-round with a thermoformable skate, I'm unsure what is "too tight" vs how the skate will form around my foot after baking. That's probably why the EE feels more comfortable, but I'm thinking I would be best served to go with a D width, after reading what althoma1 said.

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely do that, and try wearing the NXG for a longer period of time. I would consider the D width to have only mild pressure points in the supremes, but the Vapors that I tried on were probably too narrow.

To this point, I've tried Tacks, Jetspeeds, Nexus and Vapors, and I still like the feel of the Supremes to this point. None of the 3 stores I've been to have had the Ribcore in my size. In my searching, I've found the S180's online, but nowhere close to me has them in store to try on. I'm going back to that store next week to try out the NXG again,  and I'll go from there. Thank you!

Thanks, cavs019. I appreciate the advice, and that's what I just wasn't sure about with the molding process. I also tried a set of speedplates in the NXG, and that made them feel even better. I think the arch support from the speedplates were helpful.

This is probably a dumb question, but would a skate from 2012 still be honored under any sort of manufacturers warranty, since purchased new in box?

If they are purchased brand new from an authorized dealer then they should still be covered by the standard new skate warranty. I believe it's 90 days for the boot and steel and 1 year for the holders.

It sounds like the NXG fit is promising if there are only mild pressure points before baking.

• Thanks 1

@michael1zfan I wouldn't worry too much about the warranty. The NXG is a proven design with proven materials.

If they fit I'd go for it. Your getting a much better skate for the money. 

• Like 2

On 4/30/2019 at 8:15 AM, stick9 said:

@michael1zfan I wouldn't worry too much about the warranty. The NXG is a proven design with proven materials.

If they fit I'd go for it. Your getting a much better skate for the money. 

Except for the flexible tendon guard and the LS fusion steel.

22 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

It easily snaps off. 

Easily is a bit of an exaggeration don't ya think? 

I'd argue the Fusion steel is better than the LS2 crap you get with the S29.

Most of the issues that I've seen with the NXG tendon guard was the result of laziness when taking the skates off.  As for Fusion steel, easy enough to just replace that with a set of LS3.

3 hours ago, stick9 said:

Easily is a bit of an exaggeration don't ya think? 

I'd argue the Fusion steel is better than the LS2 crap you get with the S29.

I've warrantied more Fusion than any other Tuuk steel.  The APX2 came with the fusion and an extra set of LS3 so people wouldn't have to come back for a warranty return.

3 hours ago, mojo122 said:

Most of the issues that I've seen with the NXG tendon guard was the result of laziness when taking the skates off.  As for Fusion steel, easy enough to just replace that with a set of LS3.

That was one of the issues.  So was pucks and sticks fracturing it.

Would anyone consider the tendon guard issue a deal breaker? Or is that something worth the risk for this skate for under $300?
Tendon guards look to be a replaceable part in the little bit of searching I did, but I'd be glad to hear your thoughts.

I'm not overly concerned about the steel. Looks to be a cheap upgrade, if necessary.

Thanks again for the advice!

Edited by michael1zfan

NXGs don’t have the edge holder. So, replacement steel will probably cheaper, and your runners won’t get loose in the holder. 

Edited by start_today
  • Like 1

I’ve worn One90s, NXG, MX3, and 1S and have never had an issue with the flexible tendon guard on any of them. As long as you pull the skates off from the tops of the eyelet area and not the tendon guard itself it will be fine. I’d also avoid wrapping your laces around the skates as that will put pressure on it (or any tendon guard really).

• Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 8:03 PM, michael1zfan said:

Would anyone consider the tendon guard issue a deal breaker? Or is that something worth the risk for this skate for under $300?
Tendon guards look to be a replaceable part in the little bit of searching I did, but I'd be glad to hear your thoughts.

I'm not overly concerned about the steel. Looks to be a cheap upgrade, if necessary.

Thanks again for the advice!

I've worn NXG's throughout my entire junior hockey career from back in 2011/12 I believe. Still use them now and have never had any problem with the tendon guard - 7+ years of heavy use and no issues with the tendon guard or any other part of the boot. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brockboeser6 said:

I've worn NXG's throughout my entire junior hockey career from back in 2011/12 I believe. Still use them now and have never had any problem with the tendon guard - 7+ years of heavy use and no issues with the tendon guard or any other part of the boot. 

You are absolutely an exception to what I have seen. I have repaired far too many tendons on the NXG, MX3 and 1S. Some of it is caused by the player improperly removing their skates but many times its due to impact from sticks, pucks, skates, or other items. I have even seen some player who have very long skating strides wear them out over time just by the force of flexion. 

3 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

You are absolutely an exception to what I have seen. I have repaired far too many tendons on the NXG, MX3 and 1S. Some of it is caused by the player improperly removing their skates but many times its due to impact from sticks, pucks, skates, or other items. I have even seen some player who have very long skating strides wear them out over time just by the force of flexion. 

@Nicholas G that being the case, would you consider it a deal breaker on the NXG? Or is a repair on tendon guards reasonable enough to take the chance over the similarly priced S29 (NXG at $280 vs S29 at $329)?

Thanks again for the input, everyone!

2 hours ago, michael1zfan said:

@Nicholas G that being the case, would you consider it a deal breaker on the NXG? Or is a repair on tendon guards reasonable enough to take the chance over the similarly priced S29 (NXG at $280 vs S29 at $329)?

Thanks again for the input, everyone!

I would definitely pick the NXG over the S29, regardless of the tendon. It's just a better skate overall. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

How is the flexible tendon guard for durability on the 2S and 2S Pro?

These are 2 skates I’m currently looking at

6 hours ago, Lihp8270 said:

The 2S is more traditional and the 2S Pro is the flexion tendon. The 2S is going to be the more durable of the two but if you believe the marketing from Bauer, the 2S Pro tendon will give you a better range of motion. 

11 hours ago, Lihp8270 said:

I wouldn't worry about the durability of either.  Both are great skates.  

4 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

The 2S is more traditional and the 2S Pro is the flexion tendon. The 2S is going to be the more durable of the two but if you believe the marketing from Bauer, the 2S Pro tendon will give you a better range of motion. 

Both tendon guards are flexible.  On the 2S Pro you can remove the insert to allow to flex back farther.

Quick update - I took the jump and went for the NXG's with the Speedplate 2.0 inserts. Started to feel good after my fourth time out on them. These things make skating feel like a whole different experience. I guess I just never realized how poorly sized my old X40's were, but these are really helping my confidence on the ice.

I also hadn't realized the first time I looked at them in store that the pair they had on clearance were NXG Pro's, so these came with the LS3 steel and a different tongue, eliminating the composite tongue insert. All in all, I think I got a pretty great deal on a skate that is way more of a skate than I would ever be able to justify buying new. Thanks again guys for all the feedback!

20190519-180034.jpg

Edited by michael1zfan
  • Like 2