Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
StickScientist

Ordering sticks for an entire team (or two!)... how big of a discount can I push for?

Hey guys,

Came across this site searching for tips on buying hockey sticks in bulk. Unfortunately the relevant thread was from back in 2012, so I'm hoping there are some guys around who can point me in the right direction.

A close friend of mine runs a small pickup beer league game where all the players know each other pretty well. I had a random thought the other day: what if we all teamed up and made a large bulk order of sticks together? Surely we could "unlock" similar discounts that are normally reserved for semi-professional teams?

Anyways, I have no idea if this is a viable plan or not so I'm hoping someone can drop some knowledge here for me.

What kind of discounts should I be expecting on top-end sticks when ordering 50-100 sticks at a time? Should I be approaching brands like Warrior/Sher-Wood/Bauer, or certain distributors?

Any other tips on getting the very best deal through buying in bulk is much appreciated. I've been thinking about this for a while but am unsure how to proceed.

As long as guys don’t expect to buy one single stick at a huge discount, any retailer dealing in Team programs should be able to provide you options from the major companies. 

17 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

As long as guys don’t expect to buy one single stick at a huge discount, any retailer dealing in Team programs should be able to provide you options from the major companies. 

It seems from what I've read so far that Team series sticks or wholesalers are my options worth looking into here. Do you have any idea the typical costs involved with Team series sticks (or purchasing retail sticks wholesale)?

Talk to your local shop and let them know how much and what you're looking to buy.  My shop would have entire teams come through when they were in town for tournaments.  Can't really comment on specific prices but margins on current model hockey sticks isn't great. 

I’ve been out of the team game awhile, so I won’t comment on pricing. But warrior, True, Bauer, and CCM all have price pointed Team sticks available in bulk quantities. 

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll have to start contacting manufacturers about Team sticks and see if there's a match there.

I'm having no luck at all even finding wholesalers, let alone contacting them. I did find one within Canada, but they stopped talking to me once they found out I didn't own a retail store. I'd still like to leave the wholesaler door open if for no other reason than to find out exactly how cheap sticks get.

Ordering from a wholesaler might be an issue, you typically need a federal tax ID, a reseller license in your state and our county, and a sales tax license before most wholesalers or manufacturers will even open communication with you in different industries but I have not been in a buyer or owner position at any LHS highest up I made was manager and we didn't order anything the warehouse kept our inventory where it needed to be and then there is a "buyer" who brokers all of the deals with the manufacturers. Team sales through a retailer will probably be your best option, I'd be surprised if you get more than 15& off retail there isn't a huge profit margin on sticks but I could be wrong! 

If anyone takes your order be prepared for payment in full before the dealer takes your order. In other words you need total payment from every player that "wants" to buy a stick. Knowing beer league hockey players, good luck with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, wildcat said:

email us - we'll get you dialed in. stxhockey@stx.com

Would a Beer League 2x team order work through STX, even if we're in Canada? Or is that still not a thing yet.

19 hours ago, Giltis said:

Would a Beer League 2x team order work through STX, even if we're in Canada? Or is that still not a thing yet.

Yeah we can make that work - depending on the size of the order we can get more attractive with the pricing (a full on team order for 2 mens league teams would net a pretty attractive discount). 

Our Canada store (and warehouse) are just about finalized - but we can work this order separately - you can either email us (and we'll pass your info to our team sales guys) or you can skip that step and email them directly (just mention you were sent over from this forum - I'll make sure they are aware of this convo). icehockeyteam@stx.com  

Once they know some of the parameters of what you are looking to order etc. they'll be able to walk you through the pricing / delivery options etc. 

27 minutes ago, wildcat said:

Yeah we can make that work - depending on the size of the order we can get more attractive with the pricing (a full on team order for 2 mens league teams would net a pretty attractive discount). 

Our Canada store (and warehouse) are just about finalized - but we can work this order separately - you can either email us (and we'll pass your info to our team sales guys) or you can skip that step and email them directly (just mention you were sent over from this forum - I'll make sure they are aware of this convo). icehockeyteam@stx.com  

Once they know some of the parameters of what you are looking to order etc. they'll be able to walk you through the pricing / delivery options etc. 

Amazing, I mean honestly it was a half-speculation post to see if team orders would get around the Canadian shipping issue. 

But there was interest for STX gear/stick (especially after I showed off my RX3), so I will see with the league if it was all talk or not.

PS. You guys are awesome

Edited by Giltis

2 hours ago, Giltis said:

Amazing, I mean honestly it was a half-speculation post to see if team orders would get around the Canadian shipping issue. 

But there was interest for STX gear/stick (especially after I showed off my RX3), so I will see with the league if it was all talk or not.

PS. You guys are awesome

Send us an email and I'll send you an extension - we have some here in the office. 

• Thanks 1