Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Cavs019

Best “non-compression” skating socks

Looking for recommendations for skating socks that don’t fit super tight and compress the crap out of my toes and high instep. See below, I have a few of these and a similar CCM model and hate them:

https://www.hockeymonkey.com/catalog/product/view/id/338462

I’m basically looking for something that feels like a thin dress sock and allows my toes to wiggle, while providing a bit more tech on the moisture wicking front. 

Thanks guys. 

I wear Swiftwick Aspire Four socks for skate socks. Absolutely love them. The foot is fairly thin but not really compression, but the cuff over the ankle is double thickness with a bit of compression but not a ton. Best socks I’ve ever used for hockey. 

1 hour ago, Cavs019 said:

Looking for recommendations for skating socks that don’t fit super tight and compress the crap out of my toes and high instep. See below, I have a few of these and a similar CCM model and hate them:

https://www.hockeymonkey.com/catalog/product/view/id/338462

I’m basically looking for something that feels like a thin dress sock and allows my toes to wiggle, while providing a bit more tech on the moisture wicking front. 

Thanks guys. 

Drymax socks, they are a bit dearer than your basic cheap sock but well worth the money. Dress sock feel, great moisture wicking, thin, very very durable. IW have them for sale.

I have been trying both Thinees and Pearsox Ultralite for the past couple of months.  The Pearsox are 100% nylon, like many dress socks, so they have a little rougher feel that I only notice when I first put my skate on.  The Thinees are Polyamide +3% cotton.  The polyamide is a stronger material and also softer, so that combined with the cotton gives them a much nicer feel.

About the same in “thinness”, maybe a slight nod to the Pearsox, slight.  And since polyamide isn’t hydrophobic, combind wih the coton they can get damp.  My son is a sweater and he always comments how they are wet after he takes them off.

Thinees are a bit moe expensive.

A note on Pearsox sizing, they are enormous.  I am 6’3” and the adults come halfway up my thigh.  I am still deciding betwee youth and intermediate, which I still fold down at the top.

I tried Bauer hockey socks, horrible, designed for people with very narrow toes and they developed holes after a couple of skates. I now buy packs of thin cheap socks from the local sports shop such as these: 

https://www.sportsdirect.com/kangol-formal-socks-3-pack-mens-416507?colcode=41650793

https://www.sportsdirect.com/giorgio-4-pack-high-socks-mens-416512?colcode=41651290

When the ice is very cold Merino wool socks keep me toes warm. 

I prefer Nike soccer socks. they use the same dri-fit technology used in "skate socks" but cost about half as much. mine have been really durable too. I've got probably 10 pair that have lasted me 15+ years.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, shoeshine boy said:

I prefer Nike soccer socks. they use the same dri-fit technology used in "skate socks" but cost about half as much. mine have been really durable too. I've got probably 10 pair that have lasted me 15+ years.

I've been using soccer socks the past few years as well. You can find them on sale all the time for cheap.

On 5/13/2019 at 3:36 PM, shoeshine boy said:

Are those the black Nikes that comes like 3/4 of the way up your calf?  Those were anything but “non-compression” for me. I recently quit wearing about those, because it would take me an extra twp minutes to get them on, as compared to other socks.  I felt like the foot was really tight, and had to force them on inch by inch to get it around my heel  and settled correctly. 

On 5/18/2019 at 6:57 PM, start_today said:

Are those the black Nikes that comes like 3/4 of the way up your calf?  Those were anything but “non-compression” for me. I recently quit wearing about those, because it would take me an extra twp minutes to get them on, as compared to other socks.  I felt like the foot was really tight, and had to force them on inch by inch to get it around my heel  and settled correctly. 

no, the ones I wear come right up to the knee. I rarely buy a new pair because mine have lasted so long but recently the soccer socks I find look like they're made to come over the knee which I'm not interested in. these are the closest I can find right now:

https://www.doddsshoe.com/nike-classic-soccer-socks-royal.html

they fit snug but not compression, at least not on me and my legs are anything but skinny. a lot of sporting goods stores sell baseball socks now which are very similar.