Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Dual radius profile with a flat center? 9/10 or a 10/11 with a 2-inch flat center

I have been considering trying out a  9/10 with a 2-inch flat or a 10/11 with a 2-inch flat center on my Flare steel. Has anyone used such profiles on their steel, doesn't need to be Flare specifically? I used to skate on a CAG profile before switching to a multi-radius ProSharp profile, but with the Flare steel, I find the triple/quad profiles don't have the same advantages. I think there would be significant benefits to having such a large sweet spot considering I skate on a 1.5" ROH with ZC. 

I think this is basically the max edge 981 profile that the red wings use.   I think JR told me that it’s similar to the Hudson V.  I’d like to try something similar myself.  

18 minutes ago, jgold47 said:

I think this is basically the max edge 981 profile that the red wings use.   I think JR told me that it’s similar to the Hudson V.  I’d like to try something similar myself.  

I read an article on this recently. 

http://www.maximumedge.ca/paul-boyer-detroit-red-wings-uses-max-edge-981-profile-for-his-players/

Howdy,

Sounds pretty similar to the 50 flat profile folks have tried with the ProSharp thing here.  9.5/10.5 with 50mm flat in the middle.  Mike (I think?) just posted a review of it and I did one as well.

I really liked it, but ended up sticking with the Zuperior S mostly out of concern that it was working my (bad) knees a bit harder.  No clue if that was actually happening though.  The thing I liked most was the increased stability fore/aft on my skates.

Mark

7 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Sounds pretty similar to the 50 flat profile folks have tried with the ProSharp thing here.  9.5/10.5 with 50mm flat in the middle.  Mike (I think?) just posted a review of it and I did one as well.

I really liked it, but ended up sticking with the Zuperior S mostly out of concern that it was working my (bad) knees a bit harder.  No clue if that was actually happening though.  The thing I liked most was the increased stability fore/aft on my skates.

Mark

Interesting. I am going to have to read those reviews and see the feedback. 

13 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

Last time I skated on a flat (was a PSB profile) I swear it messed my hips and stride up so bad it took me months to recover.  I gave it about a month.  

2 minutes ago, jgold47 said:

Last time I skated on a flat (was a PSB profile) I swear it messed my hips and stride up so bad it took me months to recover.  I gave it about a month.  

Was it that PSB "custom balance" profile they used to offer? 

I've been the Glide 50 (9.5/50mm/10.5) for a few weeks and just did a review. I thought it played pretty well.