Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Healthyscratch

Alternative to True skates?

My son has been wearing True skates for about 2 years now. Absolutely loved them. 

Orderer a new pair, the skates came, they were made too large. Significantly more space than needed - in ankle area and toe box (more than necessary for growth). After multiple bakings, there is still no heel lock. His feet are sliding forward when skating. 

The skates are duds. 

Trues answer to this was to send me footbeds to push his foot up higher. That’s not acceptable for the amount of money that was put into the boots. I believe a custom skate should fit relatively well out of the box. At least, that’s would one would expect from their marketing. I’m looking to return the skates and go with a different brand - I’m not looking to spend any more money with True. 

Can anyone guide me in the direction of a boot that would closely resemble True. My son was wearing Mako’s for years, hence the jump to True. 

Is the FT2 an option? 

Thank you 

Edited by Healthyscratch

11 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I would have them re-made. 

Their only response was to send me 3M footbeds (at no cost!) - “to raise his foot against the tongue”. 

Edited by Healthyscratch

My daughters wore Mako’s for a few years until we couldn’t get the next size. Both of them tried a few different kinds of skates. One ended up in AS1’s after trying a pair of 1x’s and x900’s. She loves them and will probably be sticking with them. My other daughter ended up in Ft1’s and liked them but didn’t like the space in the toe cap so I ended up putting foam in the top of the toe cap to help with the extra space. The new Bauer 2x might be an option since the toe cap is supposed to be not as tall. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Healthyscratch said:

Their only response was to send me 3M footbeds (at no cost!) - “to raise his foot against the tongue”. 

TRUE will remake the skates for you. Talk to the store you purchased them from and explain your concerns. They should be able to help get things situated. In my experience, TRUE is the best to work with in regards to custom skates. CCM is also nice to work with as well.

I cannot comment on Bauer as we do not do custom skates with them and Bauer no longer allows custom skate orders without a 3D scan.

9 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

TRUE will remake the skates for you. Talk to the store you purchased them from and explain your concerns. They should be able to help get things situated. In my experience, TRUE is the best to work with in regards to custom skates. CCM is also nice to work with as well.

I cannot comment on Bauer as we do not do custom skates with them and Bauer no longer allows custom skate orders without a 3D scan.

Thanks for the response. 

The store cannot do much about having the skates remade. I wish they could. I’m sure they can work with me on getting into a different skate. 

A true rep’s response was to send footbeds, so I’ve been in touch with True. 

4 hours ago, Healthyscratch said:

Thanks for the response. 

The store cannot do much about having the skates remade. I wish they could. I’m sure they can work with me on getting into a different skate. 

Which store? What do you mean they cannot get them remade? I've never heard of this situation before in my life. 

17 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Which store? What do you mean they cannot get them remade? I've never heard of this situation before in my life. 

Pure Hockey. 

I contacted True about the skates, and asked that the skates be remade. They did not offer to remake the skate - they offered to send me 3M “footbeds” to raise his foot to press against the tongue. 

That is a direct quote. 

I responded to them that - that is not the solution. The skates, based upon their marketing, reputation and price point should fit relatively well outside the box. I also know that a footbed is merely putting a bandaid on the problem, and likely won’t work at all. 

I don’t know where it goes from there, but in the event that they maintain a footbed is the solution to my problem. I will not be purchasing True skates again. Which is a shame, as we truly love the skates. This isn’t something that can be overlooked however. The skates don’t fit, and I’m not getting any significant help with it. 

I need recommendations on the closest alternative to a Mako/True skate on the market. 

Edited by Healthyscratch

My son wore Mako's for years, then went to CCM FT1's (currently on his second pair of FT1's) and we did add a Powerfoot insert to the toe box, but again, he had Powerfoot (Mako version) inserted in the Mako's too. He just like his toes to be snugged.

• Like 1

Just now, Coldclay said:

My son wore Mako's for years, then went to CCM FT1's (currently on his second pair of FT1's) and we did add a Powerfoot insert to the toe box, but again, he had Powerfoot (Mako version) inserted in the Mako's too. He just like his toes to be snugged.

I understand the inserts to an extent... but his whole foot is sliding forward when he skates. There’s no heel lock because the skate simply has too much space. 

Thanks for your response. The FT2’s are definitely on the list. 

7 hours ago, Healthyscratch said:

Thanks for the response. 

But did you actually ask Pure to intervene?

3 hours ago, Healthyscratch said:

Pure Hockey. 

I contacted True about the skates, and asked that the skates be remade. They did not offer to remake the skate - they offered to send me 3M “footbeds” to raise his foot to press against the tongue. 

That is a direct quote. 

I responded to them that - that is not the solution. The skates, based upon their marketing, reputation and price point should fit relatively well outside the box. I also know that a footbed is merely putting a bandaid on the problem, and likely won’t work at all. 

I don’t know where it goes from there, but in the event that they maintain a footbed is the solution to my problem. I will not be purchasing True skates again. Which is a shame, as we truly love the skates. This isn’t something that can be overlooked however. The skates don’t fit, and I’m not getting any significant help with it. 

I need recommendations on the closest alternative to a Mako/True skate on the market. 

Pure Hockey is shirking their responsibility here and you need to press them to get the skates remade.  True is not going to remake a pair of skates at the request of an end user, for several reasons.  The biggest being that there is no guarantee that you as the end user understand how the skate should fit, (I'm not saying you don't).  This is a reasonable approach for True.  Pure Hockey has trained fitters, and if in the fitter's opinion the skate needs to be remade, True should proceed with the remake.

To answer your question regarding closest thing to True, the answer is nothing currently on the market is remotely similar to a True skate.  You may find something you like, but it won't be because it feels like a True.

Edited by boo10
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, boo10 said:

Pure Hockey is shirking their responsibility here and you need to press them to get the skates remade.  True is not going to remake a pair of skates at the request of an end user, for several reasons.  The biggest being that there is no guarantee that you as the end user understand how the skate should fit, (I'm not saying you don't).  This is a reasonable approach for True.  Pure Hockey has trained fitters, and if in the fitter's opinion the skate needs to be remade, True should proceed with the remake.

To answer your question regarding closest thing to True, the answer is nothing currently on the market is remotely similar to a True skate.  You may find something you like, but it won't be because it feels like a True.

I don’t see how this is a reasonable approach from True. I’ve detailed to True how there is room at the back of his heel when skating. There is no heel lock. His feet are sliding forward to the top of the toe box - it does not take a fitting expert to determine that the skates do not fit properly. 

Nobody knows the issues better than the person who’s wearing the boot. It would be one thing if there were pressure points and such... there’s not. True sent me a set of boots that are entirely too big and their solution to their screw up is footbeds..

Edited by Healthyscratch

My guess is you could be dealing with formality in True saying “try to add the red insole.” That’s probably step one. If after trying the red insole they still don’t fit, then maybe they consider a remake. It’s not uncommon to trouble shoot by little increments rather than starting from scratch. It’s a natural search problem. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Healthyscratch said:

I don’t see how this is a reasonable approach from True. I’ve detailed to True how there is room at the back of his heel when skating. There is no heel lock. His feet are sliding forward to the top of the toe box - it does not take a fitting expert to determine that the skates do not fit properly. 

Nobody knows the issues better than the person who’s wearing the boot. It would be one thing if there were pressure points and such... there’s not. True sent me a set of boots that are entirely too big and their solution to their screw up is footbeds..

But what did Pure say when you brought up the issue with them?  Did they tell you contact True directly?  Did they say they can't help or weren't willing to help?

• Like 1

Man, glad you guys don't offer restaurant recommendations.

The OP is obviously frustrated with True. He was promised and paid for a product and service he did not receive. When he pointed it out, their response was in his opinion unsatisfactory. So why the hell would he continue to do business with them.... I wouldn't.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, stick9 said:

The OP is obviously frustrated with True. He was promised and paid for a product and service he did not receive. When he pointed it out, their response was in his opinion unsatisfactory. So why the hell would he continue to do business with them.... I wouldn't.

Just asking for details.  Others have had issues with Trues and it seems like they worked with their LHS and True and in many cases got things figured out.  "I called True and all I got were these lousy insoles, end of story" sounds like there should be more to it.

• Like 1

OP already paid for the True skates. Why not continue to try and get the issue resolved, especially on a skate that is known to work for his son? It sounds like the LHS needs to step up and do their part to resolve the remake issue. 

• Like 2

The skates are too large and the OP should push for Pure to get True to remake them at the proper size or refund his money. It's understandable that no one would want to be stuck with expensive skates that are too big. If they're going to be remade, I'd suggest that a new scan, plus a measurement using a True Brannock is done in case the original scan/measurements are off and that's what caused the issue in the first place. You don't want to end up with remade skates that are also too long.

I don't think anything out there will feel exactly like True skates, but the closest would be Makos. The OG Makos had durability issues, but the Mako II, M8 and M7 were really improved. I have some Mako II's for ice and have converted a pair of M7's for roller and also have OG Makos for both ice and inline - I'm really impressed with the M7's as they're stiffer than the OG Makos and have been more durable. I know the Makos have been discontinued for several years, but if you scour the internet and local classifieds you may be able to find a pair or two in new or close to new condition in your son's size. Just expand your search to include the M7 and M8 and not only the Mako II - I almost always use top end skates and have been really blown away by the M7's.

If the True's aren't remade and you can't find Mako's in your son's size then the top end Supertacks AS1 and Jetspeed FT2 are one piece options and will be stiff and responsive, but won't wrap like True's or Makos and I know the original Supertacks had a taller toe box (not sure about the new ones). The Supertacks are also higher cut than the Makos and Trues - not sure about the Jetspeeds. The new Vapor 2X and 2X Pro skates have a toe box that looks similar to the old Mako toe box, but they still have a separate outsole. 

2 hours ago, stick9 said:

Obviously everyone here sees that and is trying to help. A straight answer to the question, “Is there an alternative to True?” was given. True may be a little annoying at the moment, but they still have a lot to offer, especially for one who likes the recent speed skate influenced hockey skates, and that upside could be worth fighting for.

There are only so few manufacturers to chose from these days, so it’s a rather different situation than recommending a restaurant. It’s more like trying to intermediate in a situation where a loyal customer of a chef isn’t happy with his or her current experience and is further disappointed with the protocol for handling that situation at the chef’s newest restaurant which is going through the usual positive and negative effects associated with rapid growth.

If you have a problem with the skates, don't just walk away quietly. Put on your a-hole hat and demand what was promised to you, properly sized custom skates, not sort of close enough skates. Be clear, concise, and firm as to what you want and what you won't accept. 

You have nothing to lose by pressing the matter, because if you're not satisfied and don't plan on going back to them if they don't make things right, there's no risk of burning bridges.

12 hours ago, Healthyscratch said:

Let me put it this way, if you buy a new car from a Ford dealer and upon delivery find that the car is a lemon, do you deal directly with the Ford plant that made the car or do you deal with the dealership that sold you the car?  If you tried talking to the head of production at the plant, think you're going to get anywhere?  If the dealer works with the factory on your behalf, think you might get a better outcome?

You paid for skates that don't fit for whatever reason, so make Pure Hockey do their job and resolve the issue.

Edit: my point is that True will likely accept the opinion of their licensed dealer that the skates need to be remade, (an expert opinion in theory).  To them, you could just be a nitpicking customer, (not an expert).

Edited by boo10
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, boo10 said:

Let me put it this way, if you buy a new car from a Ford dealer and upon delivery find that the car is a lemon, do you deal directly with the Ford plant that made the car or do you deal with the dealership that sold you the car?  If you tried talking to the head of production at the plant, think you're going to get anywhere?  If the dealer works with the factory on your behalf, think you might get a better outcome?

You paid for skates that don't fit for whatever reason, so make Pure Hockey do their job and resolve the issue.

Edit: my point is that True will likely accept the opinion of their licensed dealer that the skates need to be remade, (an expert opinion in theory).  To them, you could just be a nitpicking customer, (not an expert).

Exactly.  They have a business model set up.  He still hasn’t said what Pure told him when he asked them for help.  The story just is a little off to me.

• Like 1

Not sure who you spoke to but that is not the policy at the factory.  If it was a depth issue and thicker reds didnt help then the next procedure is re-scan and remake. Its simple.  There is no question that's the policy. You have had 2 pairs prior you said so then it should just happen ......

Unless there is more to the story. 

• Like 2