Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Outdoor Labs

Warrior Sticks

For those that have tried both the Alpha and Covert lines, which have you noticed to be more forgiving and helpful with shots?

To preference that a little more, I'm a newer player, that takes mostly wrist or snap shots, and I know I don't have the greatest form.  Experience wise, I've used both the Vapor and Nexus lines, and I know that the Alpha would be somewhat of a mix between those two.

I'm looking for a stick to upgrade to that will do well to aid my lack of skill (for now) in shots, and also help me to get more power and control as I get better with shooting skills.  I've seen mixed things as far as the blade pop for passing and such, which I can't say I've really had too many issues with as far as passing or receiving passes.  My main goal is looking for one that will give me a little more help with my shots as my form and technique continues to improve.

So between the two lines, should I pick up a Covert QRE variant, or wait a little longer and an Alpha DX variant?  Thanks.

I found the puck feel on the QX to be miles better than the QRL and the QX was a bit more forgiving when it came to hand placement.

I'd say blade lie and flex rating are far more important than kick point or blade pattern.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input so far.

I can’t remember where I found it, but I believe the Warrior lies are 5, and the Bauer are 6.  The lie hasn’t been too much of an issue, I didn’t have a problem using a True stick with a lie of 5 for a while.  

As for flex, I currently use an 85/87.  I’m 5’10 and hover around 225.  While I don’t lean into shots too much, for lack of technique, I’m a little leery going down to the 70 range. 

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

I'd say blade lie and flex rating are far more important than kick point or blade pattern.

Only problem is that lie measurement varies from brand to brand due to how each measures it.  Rocker can also affect how it plays.

While flex rating should be consistent some play softer and/or stiffer than their flex rating.

Generally speaking, the right flex will help you more with form and technique than a change in kickpoint. With that said, for me, the Covert flexes a lot smoother and easier than a Alpha. To test if a stick is too stiff for you, just put it into shooting position and try to flex it one inch. If you can't do it with almost zero effort, the stick is probably too stiff for you. When working on your technique, IMHO, it's better to err on the side of a little too whippy than not whippy enough. You can work with whippy, but not so much with too stiff.  

Don’t worry about the lie numbers posted on the sticks. From brand to brand the equivalent patterns are about the same. I’d put them in the following order from highest to lowest assuming you’re running with the most common off the shelf patterns.

P92/W03 = 5.75/6ish, full rocker and the toe points upward for many

P88/W88 = 5.25/5.5ish, heel rocker and flatter through the toe

P28/W28 = 5.25ish, huge heel and toe rocker. As a beginner I’d avoid it.

PM9/W01 = 5, relatively flat bottom vs the others. Will be much less forgiving but probably the best beginner training tool of the four options. 

Stay away from hipster patterns like P106, P91, P14, P08 and P46 as trying to find them isn’t fun. 

Edited by Cavs019
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

10 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

Don’t worry about the lie numbers posted on the sticks. From brand to brand the equivalent patterns are about the same.

From my experience, the lie for curves is not consistent from brand to brand. For example, a Warrior W03 does not have the same lie as a Bauer p92. The Bauer is a 6 lie. The Warrior is something lower, a 5 or 5.5. 

On 6/26/2019 at 9:02 AM, Cavs019 said:

Don’t worry about the lie numbers posted on the sticks. From brand to brand the equivalent patterns are about the same. I’d put them in the following order from highest to lowest assuming you’re running with the most common off the shelf patterns.

P92/W03 = 5.75/6ish, full rocker and the toe points upward for many

P88/W88 = 5.25/5.5ish, heel rocker and flatter through the toe

P28/W28 = 5.25ish, huge heel and toe rocker. As a beginner I’d avoid it.

PM9/W01 = 5, relatively flat bottom vs the others. Will be much less forgiving but probably the best beginner training tool of the four options. 

Stay away from hipster patterns like P106, P91, P14, P08 and P46 as trying to find them isn’t fun. 

How is a Drury a hipster pattern lol? Its been around for ages and its what OG's use!

Howdy,

50 minutes ago, getthekidthepuck said:

How is a Drury a hipster pattern lol? Its been around for ages and its what OG's use!

Isn't "uses old stuff that's since been replaced in common use" basically exactly the hipster credo?

Mark

10 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Isn't "uses old stuff that's since been replaced in common use" basically exactly the hipster credo?

Mark

Until so many people use the stuff that's been replaced that it becomes common again...  although I am having a hard time rectifying a blade pattern with hipsterness, unless said blade came with a beard and the skater wore his socks above the bottom of his shinguards...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

Saying hipster is now hipster so my post is double hipster

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

Jesus I have a beard and like craft beer and use a Drury, i guess i am a  hipster!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2