Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

The Eyelet Controversy: A Biomechanical Perspective

Very interesting article:

https://www.donskovsc.com/easyblog/entry/the-eyelet-controversy-a-biomechanical-perspective?fbclid=IwAR3yIGT-d1u-8KRY8FLKE1coBXUtcPwCDuQSWhtbv86ynpYCxw-nWtlx4MY

Snip: "Recently, there has been some fruitful dialogue by several close collogues regarding how best to lace up a pair of hockey skates for increased performance on the ice.  The idea of leaving the first eyelet untied in hopes of producing greater speeds was reinforced in a December article titled “The NHL’s best young skaters all have something in common-how they tie their skates” in The Athletic.  The purpose of this blog is to briefly outline the biomechanical considerations involved in this decision.  Prior to moving forward, we must first define a hockey stride. "

On 6/28/2019 at 4:06 PM, Sniper9 said:

They messed a few of those names up pretty good in the article 🤪

The heights are funny too.  No way are Gaudreau and Barzal 5'9" and 6' respectively.  More like 5'7" and 5'8"

8 hours ago, boo10 said:

The heights are funny too.  No way are Gaudreau and Barzal 5'9" and 6' respectively.  More like 5'7" and 5'8"

I know that Barzal is around my size, 6' and 86kgs, don't know where you got 5'8" from. And every stat I have seen has Gaudreau at 5'9".

15 hours ago, boo10 said:

Some players look small on TV when playing due to a number of factors, how upright or bent over they are, the size of their teammates etc. 

RNH ways looked small to me but isn't.

35 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Some players look small on TV when playing due to a number of factors, how upright or bent over they are, the size of their teammates etc. 

RNH ways looked small to me but isn't.

Don't forget the 3" holder/steel size bump.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vet88 said:

I know that Barzal is around my size, 6' and 86kgs, don't know where you got 5'8" from. And every stat I have seen has Gaudreau at 5'9".

I'll give you Barzal because I've never seen him in person.  Gaudreau however, I have seen and can say for sure he is 5'7" max.  Hell, there is a video online where Gaudreau says he is listed at 5'9", but doesn't "know if that's completely accurate".

How people tie their skate comes down to quite a few factors, I'm thinking. Skating style is one highly relevant one - I'm going to say for a skater like Eichel who uses a push back, toe flick stride, he doesn't need quite the same degree of ankle flexion as compared to a push to the side, mid-foot push stride like McDavid's. Another relevant factor to me is femur length - a long femur requires more ankle flexion for the same amount of depth in a squat, which would be similar to skating. That might require dropping one eyelet to gain the flexion needed.

What else are you guys thinking could be a factor?