Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Mass

Bauer 2X skates

Hey Guys,

Tried on the new 2X skates today(non-pro), and they are very comfortable, have a nice stiff quarter, good heel lock, etc. The only thing holding me back from grabbing them, is the 'Pro tpu Outsole", as apposed to the full carbon. I am coming from the apx2 skates, and before that, the ccm u+cl, so i have been using full carbon boots for some time. Anybody have any insight into the tpu outsoles? I know its basically just a plastic, but its definitely some sort of injected plastic, and is still relatively stiff. Any insight would be great, would be awesome if anybody has skated in the skates, and could leave some feedback, but they're obviously brand new, so might be a long shot. Any info would be great! 

Edited by Mass

I can't speak to the 2x specifically, but I have skated in one piece boots, two piece with full carbon outsoles, and two piece with tpu outsoles.  I have not found any noticable difference in the responsiveness of the tpu.  I actually think I prefer the tpu as it slightly dampens the shock of hitting ruts in the ice.  If you like to feel every little imperfection in the ice, then you might prefer the carbon outsoles.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mass said:

Hey Guys,

Tried on the new 2X skates today(non-pro), and they are very comfortable, have a nice stiff quarter, good heel lock, etc. The only thing holding me back from grabbing them, is the 'Pro tpu Outsole", as apposed to the full carbon. I am coming from the apx2 skates, and before that, the ccm u+cl, so i have been using full carbon boots for some time. Anybody have any insight into the tpu outsoles? I know its basically just a plastic, but its definitely some sort of injected plastic, and is still relatively stiff. Any insight would be great, would be awesome if anybody has skated in the skates, and could leave some feedback, but they're obviously brand new, so might be a long shot. Any info would be great! 

I don't think the TPU outsole is a bad thing. Many pros still use it and the rivets for the holder actually grab into the TPU much better than composite. I think for the price the 2X or the FT490 are quite nice. 

1 hour ago, boo10 said:

I can't speak to the 2x specifically, but I have skated in one piece boots, two piece with full carbon outsoles, and two piece with tpu outsoles.  I have not found any noticable difference in the responsiveness of the tpu.  I actually think I prefer the tpu as it slightly dampens the shock of hitting ruts in the ice.  If you like to feel every little imperfection in the ice, then you might prefer the carbon outsoles.

did you feel too high up on the tpu, as its thicker than composite?

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

I don't think the TPU outsole is a bad thing. Many pros still use it and the rivets for the holder actually grab into the TPU much better than composite. I think for the price the 2X or the FT490 are quite nice. 

do you know any specific guys still using tpu? Not that it will influence my decision, just curious

2 hours ago, Mass said:

did you feel too high up on the tpu, as its thicker than composite?

Not at all.  Didn't notice a difference in height.

On 6/30/2019 at 2:23 PM, Mass said:

Hey Guys,

Tried on the new 2X skates today(non-pro), and they are very comfortable, have a nice stiff quarter, good heel lock, etc. The only thing holding me back from grabbing them, is the 'Pro tpu Outsole", as apposed to the full carbon. I am coming from the apx2 skates, and before that, the ccm u+cl, so i have been using full carbon boots for some time. 

The 2X is a nice skate for what it delivers at its' price.  However, if you had APX2's and liked the stiffness and performance of that skate you might be disappointed in the end.  2X Pro is an updated APX2. 

On 7/1/2019 at 1:55 AM, Mass said:

do you know any specific guys still using tpu? Not that it will influence my decision, just curious

Patrick Marleau.

I was more than shocked to see Bauer separated the Speed Plate from the 2X Pro. You now need to buy it separately. I assume this was done to get the pricing down enough to match the FT2.