Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

1 hour ago, BenBreeg said:

Dumb question but what is a tech mesh skate?

What skate boots were made of prior to them using composites and/or carbon fiber. I think. 

4 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

Dumb question but what is a tech mesh skate?

It's a moisture resistant, stiff fabric...kinda looks like tightly woven nylon.  Not nearly as stiff as the composite materials you see today.  Last time I saw it in a retail skate was with the Bauer Nexus 1000. 

4 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

It's a moisture resistant, stiff fabric...kinda looks like tightly woven nylon.  Not nearly as stiff as the composite materials you see today.  Last time I saw it in a retail skate was with the Bauer Nexus 1000. 

Oh, so pros can get an older style constructed boot made to look like a modern model?

2 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

Oh, so pros can get an older style constructed boot made to look like a modern model?

The old XXXX, x:60, x7.0 style boot is a "regular" pro-stock option, in the past few years it was called the Nexus V-Cut (a Nexus styled skate with a Vapor Cut and essentially identical to those older models). So they didn't have to be one-off models made upon request, but also came as team-stock, essentially "retail for teams only". Of course the regular custom options (different tongue, different skate lengths, holders, etc) were still available to the teams.

Very few players actually get additional effort to make their older model dressed up like a newer model, only signature players like Connor McDavid. So consider this the one "readily available" re-dressed skate family, everything else is very uncommon, even if pro players request them (which is why many skated on older Rbk models even when Rbk got merged into CCM).

8 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

The new Vapor X2.9 is actually a tech mesh skate.

On 9/6/2019 at 6:23 PM, nutters said:

For those who were not aware, or just forgot, that OVI is a CCM athlete his skates are here to remind us

EDy8t_QXsAA64_H?format=jpg&name=large

I always wish Id bought the OVI branded protective gear back in the day, stuff was great.

6 hours ago, Neo5370 said:

The size and placement of the "CCM" is so gaudy, I hate it and love it at the same time.

If anyone can pull it off, it'd be Ovi and Subban.

• Like 1

I like it. The 90s Tacks heel wedge was pretty loud for its day, though not unheard of—see Micron. This hearkens back to that in a version suitable to today, if a bit derivative of Alkali’s tasteful branding. Not that this is by any means CCM’s first shameless borrowing from Alkali’s design touches.

I prefer a huge wordmark over random slashes and sloshes sublimated into the quarters, ‘just because.’

3 hours ago, stick9 said:

Matthews decked out in CCM gear last night.

Capture.JPG

There really wasn't any doubt after that whole debacle last season that he wasn't sticking with Bauer.  His deal was up in late August.  Warrior was close, but CCM got in there.

1 hour ago, JR Boucicaut said:

There really wasn't any doubt after that whole debacle last season that he wasn't sticking with Bauer.  His deal was up in late August.  Warrior was close, but CCM got in there.

Was there something that prompted Matthews to leave Bauer or was he just testing the market when he contract was up?

9 minutes ago, JGraz15 said:

Was there something that prompted Matthews to leave Bauer or was he just testing the market when he contract was up?

It's weird that he completely stopped using Bauer for everything... You would think even if his contract was up etc he would still use something that he liked, unless he never really liked Bauer and did it for the endorsement... Or he tried CCM and genuinely likes the CCM bucket gloves and skates better. 

If you zoom in you can see there’s next to no cosmetic package to the skate. It’s the nicest looking Bauer since the one95.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, flip12 said:

If you zoom in you can see there’s next to no cosmetic package to the skate. It’s the nicest looking Bauer since the one95.

Next Supreme skate I believe. I saw a test pair that had yellow Bauer wordmark and comfort edge. There was also a new toe cap, tongue and tendon guard. That pair had traditional eyelets like Kucherov's skates, which is interesting.

It’s a little hard to see from those shots, but does the outsole look different? It looks like it cups the bottom of the foot, coming up the quarters a bit.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, flip12 said:

It’s a little hard to see from those shots, but does the outsole look different? It looks like it cups the bottom of the foot, coming up the quarters a bit.

It does look that way. I don't have better images though.

6 hours ago, flip12 said:

Could it be a monocomp boot? Looks like it's only graphics, no heel cup or outersole.