Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

On 2/14/2020 at 6:23 PM, Coldclay said:

Bombay is a freaking bender. Always was and always will be. They should maybe find actors who could at least skate a little. Russel Crowe couldbt skate in Mystery Alaska and Emilio definitely couldn't skate in all them ducks movies.

One of the many aspects of why Miracle is such an enjoyable film to watch - the actors/players can actually skate. (well, maybe not Kurt Russell)

Drives me nuts when actors play professional level athletes in films, and they look like complete beginners.  It's just so distracting and takes me out of the movie.

Also, in regards to Bombay, you should search for Jamie McKinven's take on the Mighty Ducks and Gordon Bombay.  Pretty funny stuff...

Edited by shoot_the_goalie

19 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

One of the many aspects of why Miracle is such an enjoyable film to watch - the actors/players can actually skate. (well, maybe not Kurt Russell)

Drives me nuts when actors play professional level athletes in films, and they look like complete beginners.  It's just so distracting and takes me out of the movie.

Also, in regards to Bombay, you should search for Jamie McKinven's take on the Mighty Ducks and Gordon Bombay.  Pretty funny stuff...

The funniest thing about Mighty Ducks 1 was how they said Bombay used to rule Peewee... First of all, nobody ever remembers who 'ruled' in Peewee, second, ruling in Peewee is like saying he used to be the smartest kid in 5th grade... they should've said midget or even bantam, but kicking ass as a peewee pretty much means nothing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Coldclay said:

The funniest thing about Mighty Ducks 1 was how they said Bombay used to rule Peewee... First of all, nobody ever remembers who 'ruled' in Peewee, second, ruling in Peewee is like saying he used to be the smartest kid in 5th grade... they should've said midget or even bantam, but kicking ass as a peewee pretty much means nothing.

While true, I believe pee-wee is the most hockey sounding name of all the age groups

Edited by nutters

On 2/21/2020 at 12:39 PM, Coldclay said:

It's a movie.... 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, nutters said:

In pic 5 Matthews is reunited with the 2N Pro

Maybe an issue with ccm production lines in China?

Wonder why CCM is pretty much purely as2 and ft2s in the nhl. Don't think I've ever seen a trigger 4 / t4 paintjob

17 minutes ago, SirJW said:

They still put ballistic nylon on toe caps? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SirJW said:

I'm confused. Wouldn't he ace the pencil test? The eyelets on the two sides of the skate are very close together indicating that he has a lot of volume in his skate?

22 minutes ago, Davideo said:

I'm confused. Wouldn't he ace the pencil test? The eyelets on the two sides of the skate are very close together indicating that he has a lot of volume in his skate?

Yes and no.. because the facings on his skates wrap so we'll, technically the wrap itself reduces volume. For example true skates. They wrap so we'll it removes all neg space. 

The crease on his skates could just be from wear and tear and break down.  He uses pretty old model skates that are probably tech mesh. That said older skates didn't wrap and mould as well so volume was pretty specific, hence the three diff fit lines. 

Who knows though. He could also be the type who over bakes his skates to get them super pliable and uses them for a short period of time as well which might be the reason why it's creasing/premature break down. 

Or he actually likes wearing skates that have extra volume... Which to me is a bit odd since he tire them up pretty tight. 

Edited by Sniper9

Just now, Sniper9 said:

Yes and no.. because the facings on his skates wrap so we'll, technically the wrap itself reduces volume. For example true skates. They wrap so we'll it removes all neg space. 

The crease on his skates could just be from wear and tear and break down.  He uses pretty old model skates that are probably tech mesh. That said older skates didn't wrap and mould as well so volume was pretty specific, hence the three diff fit lines. 

Who knows though. He could also be the type who over bakes his skates to get them super pliable and uses them for a short period of time as well which might be the reason why it's creasing/premature break down. 

Or he actually likes wearing skates that have extra volume... Which to me is a bit odd since he tire them up pretty tight. 

To be clearer, I should have said he *had* a lot of volume in his skates. It of course is eliminated when he tightens them. But as far as a portion of his foot sticking out of the skate and failing the pencil test, I would imagine he would ace that because he has so much wrap.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Larry54 said:

They still put ballistic nylon on toe caps? 

yes, there are a couple maybe a few tat still use that old school cap.  Spittin Chiclets had Duncan Keith on a while back and he was talking about his skates and how anal he is with them, he still gets the old school cap on his.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

That is cool, I remember painting layer after layer of ProtecToe on new skates though.

I remember coating the toe caps of my Kevlar Tacks with polyurethane varnish instead of ProtecToe to retain the color of the kevlar fiber.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stick9 said:

New steel, LS Ti.

As in titanium? Assuming it is, how would that affect sharpening it? Could it cause more wear on the stones?

I guess it'd be just a coating like the Step/Tydan stuff.

I'm not much of a Bauer skates fan, but that tendon guard looks really cool.

Edited by Giltis

11 minutes ago, Giltis said:

As in titanium? Assuming it is, how would that affect sharpening it? Could it cause more wear on the stones?

I would assume so. I've heard, this is what the pros are using in place of Step or a variation of it.

1 hour ago, Giltis said:

Not titanium. 

On 2/26/2020 at 1:02 AM, Davideo said:

He's got volume down low but near his instep it's anyone's guess. You can't tell from that pic if he's left the laces loose there intentionally to keep the spacing open to assist in that massive crease he's got going or not.

There's very little about his skate setup that looks normal or average. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Not titanium. 

Nitinol (nickel titanium) which is what Tydan and Step use. My bad.

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

Nitinol (nickel titanium) which is what Tydan and Step use. My bad.

It will be something similar to a Titanium Nitride coating. If you google around you can find the Bauer 2020 steel line up document.