Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
magelarsen

Diet plan suggestions?

What's up, guys? I am a new member! :D

I am just curious if anyone here is following a diet like vegetarian, vegan, paleo, keto, low-carb-high-fat, non-glutten, etc.?

If yes, why do you do it?

And how it has affected your performance in hockey?

Thank you and let's be friends! xx

Hello and welcome!

On keto since about 15 months, first 9 months very strict wrt carbs. I felt an increase in speed due to the loss of weight (95kg (210lbs) -> 72kg (160lbs)), but a definite loss in explosiveness / power. I could still do 2x 90 min practices back to back and my performance was OK, but I am aware a "regular" diet with more high-quality carbs would most likely be beneficial, and it would allow me to use my beloved Creatine & Maltodextrose booster again. 

Then I decided that hockey can't be that strong a deciding factor on my spare time, and relaxed my keto by still eating clean, but drinking the 1-2 beers after evening practices (4-5x / week). Simply this introduction of "bad" carbs essentially kicked me out of keto after practice, and my weight went up slightly again (72kg (160lbs) -> 80kg (180lbs)). However, the weight has made me "stronger" on ice, I don't get knocked off the puck or tumble when receiving a check. This has also been noticed by teammates, so it is a perceivable difference.

So I will continue to do High-Fat-Low-Carb / Keto, but not renounce the pleasures of a beer after practice, maybe just not after each session. While not the best for my hockey performance, I still feel a lot better and perform a lot better on the ice than when I was eating pre-processed food and didn't follow a specific regiment. So unless you are "in the show", don't shy away from diets restricting carbs just because "hockey players need carbs for explosiveness after the ATP buffer runs out".

What is your situation and goals?

I don’t get caught up in the latest diets.  I basically eat about 2700 calories a day, plenty of carbs, protein, and moderate fats, mostly from nuts and other good sources.  I essentially eat a bulking diet because i have a fast metabolism, skate 2-3 times a week, and lift on non-hockey days.  Pretty much everything I eat I cook from scratch, I don’t eat a lot of  non-carb sugar and my sodium intake is low because I don’t eat much packaged food.  I am not obsessive and if I eat some crap here and there I don’t care, although over time your desire to binge on junk kind of goes away.  I will go to town on ice cream but that is about it.

As for hockey, I am just as bad as with any diet!

Edited by BenBreeg

Keto. At least to start. Counting your macros and sticking to the correct ratio and tracking your food intake is going to go a long way to get you started, into ketosis, and start losing weight. If weight loss isn't your goal, then Keto is still good but not necessary. Just avoid high glycemic index carbs as much as possible (simple carbs like sugars, potatoes, rice, bread, and an excess of fruit). 

The result for me of cutting out carbs has been massive. So much more energy, focus, and no more misc health issues (adult acne, tonsil stones, gallbladder stones, and headaches pretty much all disappeared).  Also make sure you drink a ton of water. I have a water bottle that I aim to fill AT LEAST four times a day. Use zero calorie flavorings (think Crystal Light liquid squirty things) if you need it to get your water down, like I do (I hate water).

For meat, avoid chicken unless you're adding fat somehow. Salmon is going to by BY FAR your best food option, with eggs being a close second. 

Completely agree with @BenBreeg that not only do the cravings for junk go away eventually, but you get to the point where stuff you used to eat all the time becomes really unappealing. I don't even enjoy sweet food items anymore, at all. 

Well, I've been trying to lose weight. I got surgery over a half year ago, and gained weight (a.k.a. flab) and I couldn't exercise with the same intensity while recovering, but I was eating with the same intensity. 

So, I tried intermittent fasting. I started off with one day day of fasting. I wasn't losing any weight, but at least I wasn't gaining any weight. So, then, I tried fasting two days a week. Not back to back, but Monday and Thursday. This was working. I was losing weight and going down slowly. Then, I plateau'ed and wasn't losing weight, but wasn't gaining weight. I'm talking five months.

So, I tried a four-day fast in one week; Monday through Thursday. Followed by a two day fast the next week. Then, another four-day fast in a week. I'm now on a two day fast. The result, I've broken through the past plateau and have reached one weight-loss goal.  

Anyway, I'm exercising 3 to 4 times a week. A mix of jogging and running on a treadmill and weight lifting. I do not do squats or dead lifts anymore due to my surgery. I used to and would go be able to go pretty heavy. I have less muscle mass in my legs, knowing that i can't do barbell squats anymore. Long story short, I had sciatica which was affecting my leg workouts and so my leg strength has been slowly going down for about two years.

I haven't played any ice hockey yet, which is a high intensity workout in and of itself. But, when it comes to fasting and exercise, I find that my energy level is not any different if I've fasted for one or two days. But, if I'm on my third or fourth day of a four-day fast, my workout energy level isn't as strong or intense. Like I feel more tired trying to run a mile at the same pace I was able to in the past.

I'm not a scientist, dietitian, life coach, yoga guru, or strength and fitness expert. I just know that I need to control my eating too. I find that the days that I'm fasting, I'm not snacking at work, which I used to do because people would leave leftover "meeting food" in the break room, which was usually catered take out from a restaurant.

So, I'm trying intermittent fasting. I figured it doesn't cost me anything to eat less. And, I'm a cheapo.

Edited by caveman27

On 7/2/2019 at 5:03 AM, BenBreeg said:

What is your situation and goals?

I don’t get caught up in the latest diets.  I basically eat about 2700 calories a day, plenty of carbs, protein, and moderate fats, mostly from nuts and other good sources.  I essentially eat a bulking diet because i have a fast metabolism, skate 2-3 times a week, and lift on non-hockey days.  Pretty much everything I eat I cook from scratch, I don’t eat a lot of  non-carb sugar and my sodium intake is low because I don’t eat much packaged food.  I am not obsessive and if I eat some crap here and there I don’t care, although over time your desire to binge on junk kind of goes away.  I will go to town on ice cream but that is about it.

This is more along the lines of my philosophy here.  Have had health issues that kept me off skates for years, and have been skating fairly regularly now for the last 6-8 months, but have tried to eat healthy for the last 3-4 years as I couldn't really exercise. 

I focus heavily on making as much of my food as possible from fresh ingredients. The only boxed things I really buy are things like Cheez-its or the like for snacking. Fresh fruits and veggies became my best friend, and I quickly realized that it's not much more effort to cook everything rather than eat out or assemble pre-packaged ingredients. I limit my carb intake and have done simple things like bringing fruit and veggie snacks when on the road to avoid a quick stop snack somewhere. The impact on my body (especially after being able to skate again) is remarkable. I don't gym, just stay active and outdoors while skating 2-3 hours a week, and the difference even as I am getting older is eye opening.

Last thing- start reading the ingredients of EVERYTHING you buy and eat. I developed a deadly food allergy in the last few years and have to read everything I consume diligently. I've found that I end up not eating so many things that I should be able to as once I read the ingredients I end up seeing how much is in our foods and opt to just choose a healthier option. 

That's a great way to go @greech. My dad is too dumb/lazy to follow any sort of diet like Keto, so I told him it's simple - eat nothing from a bag, box, or can. Do that, and you're already way ahead of most people. 

Also, It's crazy to me that there are still people out there that buy low fat stuff. They'll eat junk loaded with carbs but buy "fat free" everything. I'm not THAT surprised though, as that's what our own doctor was still recommending too. No wonder there are so many people that return to the program my wife and I were in...