Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

16 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Like this. It’s an ncaa thing. For some reason. 

32686F23-6043-4D8A-BD9A-86D831A11E25.jpeg

That's the cage version of the visit flip lol. Aka monahan, kronwall, hagelin etc. 

Worst part about it is that there is no ruling in the USAH rulebook about how it is supposed to be worn, other than "as designed". Try proving "as designed". 

I want the USA rulebook to implement verbiage about the cage that the chin guard needs to be touching the chin, the top of the cage needs to be all the way in the J-Hooks, J-hooks are necessary (a design and IIRC a requirement for HECC, but again, try proving it), and that there is to be no slack in the straps - i.e. you can't swing the cage back and forth. As a referee, it is something I would really like to have in the book defined clearly. Not sure if HC is different. 

• Like 2

My son's large CCM titanium cage has a difficult time fitting my medium True helmet... I was only able to get cage to fit under one j-hook , which is fine but seems like the cage pitches the top frontal part of the helmet when buckled in... Previously he had a large CCM titanium cage to go along with an original medium Re-Akt and although not a perfect fit, he wore that combo for 2 seasons.

FWIW a medium True helmet with a large CCM titanium cage weighs in at 690g, which is 90g lighter that an original  medium Re-Akt with a large CCM titanium cage.

9 minutes ago, Coldclay said:

My son's large CCM titanium cage has a difficult time fitting my medium True helmet... I was only able to get cage to fit under one j-hook , which is fine but seems like the cage pitches the top frontal part of the helmet when buckled in... Previously he had a large CCM titanium cage to go along with an original medium Re-Akt and although not a perfect fit, he wore that combo for 2 seasons.

FWIW a medium True helmet with a large CCM titanium cage weighs in at 690g, which is 90g lighter that an original  medium Re-Akt with a large CCM titanium cage.

Try putting very thin plastic spacers between the J clip and the helmet. 

15 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Try putting very thin plastic spacers between the J clip and the helmet. 

I tried putting spacers between j-hooks and helmet but the screw were too short and wouldn't catch...

1 hour ago, Coldclay said:

I tried putting spacers between j-hooks and helmet but the screw were too short and wouldn't catch...

Yeah, had the same issue with a helmet and had to go to Home Depot to buy longer screws. We now keep a small box of them in store for the TRUE helmets. The CCM and Bauer clear face masks also need longer screws than are supplied because the plastic brackets are thicker, so we needed them for this as well. 

Note: I let TRUE know this about the screws so I hope they will make an update at some point to provide longer screws with the helmet. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

16 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Yeah, had the same issue with a helmet and had to go to Home Depot to buy longer screws. We now keep a small box of them in store for the TRUE helmets. The CCM and Bauer clear face masks also need longer screws than are supplied because the plastic brackets are thicker, so we needed them for this as well. 

Note: I let TRUE know this about the screws so I hope they will make an update at some point to provide longer screws with the helmet. 

The medium cage doesn't fit,? Sorry might have missed it if it was already mentioned. 

7 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

The medium cage doesn't fit,? Sorry might have missed it if it was already mentioned. 

It does, however, the J clips dont sit properly without spacers and it squishes the cage. 

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/hockey-helmet-ratings.html

True got 1/5 stars, second lowest score possible (0 is possible) in the Virginia Tech rating. I know that some here have issues with the scoring methodology, but regardless I thought that the MIPS would have given it a much higher score. I was considering buying one, but now I'm probably going with a more affordable option.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, start_today said:

What don’t you like? It doesn’t seem “big” like other other helmets people don’t like. 

Just looks ridiculous to me. Esp when on worn. Not a fan at how the plastic wraps over the front of the forehead and ear areas. Seems like if you had any frontal or side impact those areas would dig into your skin. 

Lastly the poorly cut vents that aren't smooth.... 

1 hour ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Nightmares of the Nike Quest looks

but the fit, for me, was excellent. 

Firs good for me too. Ventilation is nice. Helmet is light when paired with a Re-Akt cage. Probably not ideal for everyone though as adjustability of the helmet is somewhat limited. 

I ran head first into a guy and smashed my face into him. Aside from the helmet turning a little at impact, I didn't feel anything. I actually hurt him a little because my helmet went under his chin and pushed it up. So far this helmet has been really good, light, and breathable. Read my review of it here: 

It's been a really good helmet so far.

2 minutes ago, darkhors said:

I ran head first into a guy and smashed my face into him. Aside from the helmet turning a little at impact, I didn't feel anything. I actually hurt him a little because my helmet went under his chin and pushed it up. So far this helmet has been really good, light, and breathable. Read my review of it here: 

It's been a really good helmet so far.

Any marks on it from the collision? I felt like it would hold up as well as others to repeated bumps, but that wasn't based on anything other than gut feeling.

So I've been meaning to give my .02 cents on the new True MIPS Helmet...

I bought one for my 15 yo Midget AA son for Xmas. A size Medium, paired with a size Large CCM Titanium cage. He's been wearing a Bauer Re-Akt (original version), paired with the same Large CCM Titanium cage for at least 2 seasons. The Re-Akt helmet has been holding up just fine with no damage, but since I'm a gear whore, I wanted to buy him something new and the MIPS really attracted me as I believe in the concept of slip-plane technology. 

The fit and build of the True helmet seems fine to me. Fit my son well with the various sizes of padding and a lighter-than-most (except Easton E700 of course) weight for the helmet. I really wanted him to like it, despite it looking goofy af on anybody's head and I've been a fan of what True has been putting out. With that said, my opinion is that this helmet is absolutely unsafe for the sport of hockey.

He practiced with the True lid for a week and played one game with it. And one game was all it took for me to return immediately for a refund. My kid is an uber physical forward and will not hesitate to hit someone, but this time he was on the receiving end of a check, sort of... So he collided with another player along the boards and somehow fell on his knee, and the other player's hip made contact with his head/helmet and he immediately laid on the ice holding his head. He went off the ice and took off his helmet and swelled up with a huge bruise all the way across his forehead. He ended up sitting out for a whole period... After the game, he flat out told me that he can't wear the True lid because it simply doesn't have enough padding all around.

See the pic below, and that's from ONE hit. He's played AA for years and checking for the last 3, and he's had his clock cleaned a few times but nothing like this has ever happened before... Not to mention the collision that caused this wasn't even all that great. It was just his helmet pressing into his forehead at very low speed...

IMO the True lid would be amazing if it wasn't for the foam padding they use. The foam is basically spongy pads, very much like the E700, except thicker and by the feel of them, the pads would get thinner the more you use the helmet. Now image you using a bicycle helmet, with or without the MIPS, and now go play a full contact hockey game with it. The True lid is exactly that, a thicker, bulkier bicycle helmet...

Now if the true lid would use something like Poron AND the MIPS, then you'd have a perfect helmet. But as of now, the padding for the True is seriously lacking and I'd advice anyone to avoid it, unless you play beer league or other non-contact game.

TVwv5iH.jpg

Edited by Coldclay
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Coldclay said:

So I've been meaning to give my .02 cents on the new True MIPS Helmet...

I bought one for my 15 yo Midget AA son for Xmas. A size Medium, paired with a size Large CCM Titanium cage. He's been wearing a Bauer Re-Akt (original version), paired with the same Large CCM Titanium cage for at least 2 seasons. The Re-Akt helmet has been holding up just fine with no damage, but since I'm a gear whore, I wanted to buy him something new and the MIPS really attracted me as I believe in the concept of slip-plane technology. 

The fit and build of the True helmet seems fine to me. Fit my son well with the various sizes of padding and a lighter-than-most (except Easton E700 of course) weight for the helmet. I really wanted him to like it, despite it looking goofy af on anybody's head and I've been a fan of what True has been putting out. With that said, my opinion is that this helmet is absolutely unsafe for the sport of hockey.

He practiced with the True lid for a week and played one game with it. And one game was all it took for me to return immediately for a refund. My kid is an uber physical forward and will not hesitate to hit someone, but this time he was on the receiving end of a check, sort of... So he collided with another player along the boards and somehow fell on his knee, and the other player's hip made contact with his head/helmet and he immediately laid on the ice holding his head. He went off the ice and took off his helmet and swelled up with a huge bruise all the way across his forehead. He ended up sitting out for a whole period... After the game, he flat out told me that he can't wear the True lid because it simply doesn't have enough padding all around.

See the pic below, and that's from ONE hit. He's played AA for years and checking for the last 3, and he's had his clock cleaned a few times but nothing like this has ever happened before... Not to mention the collision that caused this wasn't even all that great. It was just his helmet pressing into his forehead at very low speed...

IMO the True lid would be amazing if it wasn't for the foam padding they use. The foam is basically spongy pads, very much like the E700, except thicker and by the feel of them, the pads would get thinner the more you use the helmet. Now image you using a bicycle helmet, with or without the MIPS, and now go play a full contact hockey game with it. The True lid is exactly that, a thicker, bulkier bicycle helmet...

Now if the true lid would use something like Poron AND the MIPS, then you'd have a perfect helmet. But as of now, the padding for the True is seriously lacking and I'd advice anyone to avoid it, unless you play beer league or other non-contact game.

Coldclay, that's really interesting. I obviously play beer league so I'm not hitting on a regular basis, but I'm surprised that it caused that much damage to his forehead. I wonder if it could have potentially happened because the inside rotated and then was pushed into his head? It's definitely an interesting issue. Does he wear his helmet tight against his head or does he like a little space? I know that sounds like a silly question, but I know a lot of kids who will size their helmets tight, then back them off so they move a little. Wondering if maybe that could be a cause too. 

I hope his head has healed up!

Howdy,

Sorry to read about your son's head injury!  Hopefully no long term effects.

I really wish that manufacturers would prioritize protection over looks/weight/gimmicks and then back that up with published testing results.

The poor VT testing results and this anecdotal report have certainly put an end to any interest I had in the new True lid, despite my interest in the MIPS system.

Mark

• Like 2

I think Helmet and Skates are the two hardest categories to break into for player's gear. So good on True for jumping in and adding another helmet choice to the market. Hopefully they have enough success to continue to improve and offer more choices.