Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
2nhockey

Lacebite From Powerskating

I went to a boot repair shop and they used a single piece of leather and fit it to eyelet 3, 4, and 5 (curved part of the boot). As soon as I can find some ice I’m going to try it out. It looks good in theory. I have concerns about the leather holding up but we’ll see. 

I tried lots of different types and thicknesses, in the end settled for 4mm thick as that seemed to provide the best balance between durability and flexibilty. I had plenty of thinner leather stretch and rip over time but the 4mm thick never had any issues.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2019 at 7:13 AM, BenBreeg said:

The lace enters the boot outside in, exits the eyelet on the inside, crosses the tongue, and enters the other side on the outside.  The lace is still crossing the tongue travelling from an outside to an inside eyelet, it is the same pattern just instead of inside-outside it is outside-inside.  The only difference is how you perceive you are lacing it, the order you traverse the pattern.  If you wanted to change the pressure, you would have to lace so that the lace never exited the inside before crossing.

You are correct that there is no different in volume. However, my theory is that it changes slightly where the laces dig into the foot, temporarily lessening the pain. Either that or it's completely placebo.

5 hours ago, Davideo said:

You are correct that there is no different in volume. However, my theory is that it changes slightly where the laces dig into the foot, temporarily lessening the pain. Either that or it's completely placebo.

Gotta be placebo because it will be alternating “high-low” and “low-high” as it crisscrosses so really no difference.

After just a few days doing the exercises in the video posted a few posts back, my son's pain is gone. He can't believe it went from intense pain to feeling normal in such a short time.

To be on the safe side, he's still off the ice for a couple of more days. So I went to work on verion 2.0 of the eyelet extenders. Going with Vet88's advice, this version uses belt leather (literally cut up an old belt to make these). And instead of using hardware, which was going to deform his eyelets, again to Vet88's instructions and I'm just tying them off with some skate laces. I cut up and used the thin wax laces that started us down this path in the first place.

I think these are going to work great. They raise the lace pressure point by a few mm at least - he won't get the pressure across his tendon with this setup. Find out this week when he tests out the setup.

8Ht9OJn.jpg?1

a5XoZLZ.jpg

vVBnvh7.jpg

colins

Edited by colins
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

Gotta be placebo because it will be alternating “high-low” and “low-high” as it crisscrosses so really no difference.

It's not a placebo.  Here is a post from Chadd who told me to do it in the first place.  Even if it doesn't work for everyone it is a free fix someone can try first before investing in all sorts of gel pads and everything else.

Edited by strosedefence34

5 minutes ago, strosedefence34 said:

It's not a placebo.  Here is a post from Chadd who told me to do it in the first place.  Even if it doesn't work for everyone it is a free fix someone can try first before investing in all sorts of gel pads and everything else.

The post does nothing to explain how this would help.  The lace in inside out lacing and the lace in outside in lacing both cross the tongue with half the lace crossing from the top (or outside) of the facing and the other end exiting from the bottom (or inside) of the facing.  Changing how you lace it is just reversing the order it enters and exits, not the amount of pressure on the tongue.

It would work for one cross over, start inside out and finish outside in. So if you had problems at one specific cross over then you could get some help with this technique. But as I have always found out, it isn't just one, it is generally 2 or 3 cross overs that cumulatively add to the problem.

Besides the one cross over example above, it is basically the same either way. You either have the pressure thru the first 3/4 of the cross over (outside in) or the last 3/4 of the cross over (inside out). Regardless of how you do it it will still be cranking down across the center of the tongue.

On 7/28/2019 at 6:46 PM, colins said:

After just a few days doing the exercises in the video posted a few posts back, my son's pain is gone. He can't believe it went from intense pain to feeling normal in such a short time.

To be on the safe side, he's still off the ice for a couple of more days. So I went to work on verion 2.0 of the eyelet extenders. Going with Vet88's advice, this version uses belt leather (literally cut up an old belt to make these). And instead of using hardware, which was going to deform his eyelets, again to Vet88's instructions and I'm just tying them off with some skate laces. I cut up and used the thin wax laces that started us down this path in the first place.

I think these are going to work great. They raise the lace pressure point by a few mm at least - he won't get the pressure across his tendon with this setup. Find out this week when he tests out the setup.

8Ht9OJn.jpg?1

a5XoZLZ.jpg

vVBnvh7.jpg

colins

Will the hardware really deform the eyelet? I ordered a set of lace locks from eBay for my trues and was planning on putting them on with visor hardware but now I'm hesitant because I don't want to potential damage the eyelets...

5 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Will the hardware really deform the eyelet? I ordered a set of lace locks from eBay for my trues and was planning on putting them on with visor hardware but now I'm hesitant because I don't want to potential damage the eyelets...

The CCM eyelets are thin aluminum - putting the visor hardware in them and cranking them down will definitely take some paint off them and maybe dent/deform them a little if you make it tight. I wouldn't worry about it too much - especially if your skates aren't CCM.

colins

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 6:46 PM, colins said:

colins

Where did you get the eyelets/grommet for these, and what type are they? Finding the equipment to punch the holes and set the eyelets seems to be simple enough, but finding eyelets that don't look like they'll rip apart after one stride seems to be more of a challenge for my googling skills.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, puckpilot said:

Where did you get the eyelets/grommet for these, and what type are they? Finding the equipment to punch the holes and set the eyelets seems to be simple enough, but finding eyelets that don't look like they'll rip apart after one stride seems to be more of a challenge for my googling skills.

I think he uses blademaster eyelets. I used stainless steel or high quality brass because they withstand human sweat really well but they are expensive. Suppliers are ship chandelers, outdoor tent suppliers or search for stainless steel grommets online.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vet88 said:

I think he uses blademaster eyelets. I used stainless steel or high quality brass because they withstand human sweat really well but they are expensive. Suppliers are ship chandelers, outdoor tent suppliers or search for stainless steel grommets online.

I do have Blademaster eyelets but the ones I have are too long for this purpose. For the extenders I used eyelets (#0 I believe?) that came with the press I bought (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07FSFWL67?ref=em_1p_1_im&ref_=pe_8564860_421518460), they are classified as grommets and come with washers and look like these: http://www.siska.com/grommets.html

I think I found the source for long Blademaster eyelets as well - Industrial Eyelets from Siska seems to be the original source - the '64' and '65' etc lengths appear to come from this chart: http://www.siska.com/ind_eye.html

Bad news is they only sell to companies, and the only resellers I have found other than Blademaster sell in batches of 1000 which is a bit pricey for the DIY folks. I'd love to find a small batch (couple hundred) source for various length stainless steel eyelets the same diameter as these, along with stainless washers. If anyone can provide a URL please do!

I didn't try calling Siska to ask for suggestions but that might be another avenue to explore.

colins

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vet88 said:

1 hour ago, colins said:

I do have Blademaster eyelets but the ones I have are too long for this purpose. For the extenders I used eyelets (#0 I believe?) that came with the press I bought (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07FSFWL67?ref=em_1p_1_im&ref_=pe_8564860_421518460), they are classified as grommets and come with washers and look like these: http://www.siska.com/grommets.html

I think I found the source for long Blademaster eyelets as well - Industrial Eyelets from Siska seems to be the original source - the '64' and '65' etc lengths appear to come from this chart: http://www.siska.com/ind_eye.html

Bad news is they only sell to companies, and the only resellers I have found other than Blademaster sell in batches of 1000 which is a bit pricey for the DIY folks. I'd love to find a small batch (couple hundred) source for various length stainless steel eyelets the same diameter as these, along with stainless washers. If anyone can provide a URL please do!

I didn't try calling Siska to ask for suggestions but that might be another avenue to explore.

colins

Thanks to you both. Much appreciated. 

The extenders on my skates are a little bigger than the ones Colin’s put together. Also mine are set to cover 3 sets  of eyelets. 

So I haven’t been on the ice in 2 weeks and still I have bruises and swelling... was hoping to get on the ice this weekend to try out the extensions but that doesn’t appear to be likely. 

Does anybody have a source for the rubber band in the video? Seems bands are a common recommendation for a lot of but I don’t know where to get them. 

2 hours ago, 2nhockey said:

The extenders on my skates are a little bigger than the ones Colin’s put together. Also mine are set to cover 3 sets  of eyelets. 

So I haven’t been on the ice in 2 weeks and still I have bruises and swelling... was hoping to get on the ice this weekend to try out the extensions but that doesn’t appear to be likely. 

Does anybody have a source for the rubber band in the video? Seems bands are a common recommendation for a lot of but I don’t know where to get them. 

Amazon, any sports store with gym gear, Walmart even... what you're looking for are 'resistance training bands' or 'resistance loop bands'.

Good luck! The exercises really seemed to work miracles in our case.

colins

Edited by colins
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, 2nhockey said:

They are called thera bands. Pretty much thin pieces of latex. Amazon has them for sure. 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 2:57 AM, 2nhockey said:

Did the eyelet extenders work for your lacebite?

On 7/29/2019 at 8:48 AM, BenBreeg said:

The post does nothing to explain how this would help.  The lace in inside out lacing and the lace in outside in lacing both cross the tongue with half the lace crossing from the top (or outside) of the facing and the other end exiting from the bottom (or inside) of the facing.  Changing how you lace it is just reversing the order it enters and exits, not the amount of pressure on the tongue.

As someone it has worked for in the past, I notice three differences:

(1) The way the pressure feels distributed at the top eyelet (where most people get bite) changes outside in, inside out, or with a lace lock loop. I'm confident I could tell the difference blindfolded if someone else tied my skates.

(2) When you pull the each row tight inside out the pressure goes into compressing the tongue first. Outside in it goes into folding the eyelets over first. The same amount of "pull" leaves the skates a bit looser because there is more friction at each eyelet. It's also a little more awkward to grab / really reef on them once they are snugged up.

(3) Outside in, especially with waxed laces, seems to keep tightness from moving down the boot, if that makes sense. That's usually my big issue as someone with a high instep.

At the end of the day I think 90% is just the increased friction of outside in tricking you into lacing a little looser. It obviously doesn't create more physical volume in the skate. But if the placebo works for tons of people is it still a placebo?

Edited by Flop_N_Pray
  • Like 1