Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
KelpFries

Adult Hockey Clinic in Central Jersey

Does anyone know of any Adult Hockey clinics or Adult Learn To Play sessions in Central Jersey? I'm in my second round of Learn To Skate lessons and doing pretty well. From there i'd like to get some at least basics of hockey down before I attempt to drop in on an Open Hockey session so I don't look like a complete knob out there and start pissing people off because I have no idea what i'm doing! I've called every rink around me and not one of them has any type of hockey instruction for adults, not one. The closet place i've found from Googling is an hour and a half up north from me on a Sunday morning. I can't believe that there is so little interest in learning Hockey in my area that no rinks have any kind of classes for adults! I've looked into private lessons and while I can get those, i'd much prefer it to be a class with other people, that way you can have practice scrimmages and you'd be able to practice the things you're learning in a real sort of game.

If anyone knows of any type of Adult hockey classes around the central Jersey area please let me know! I'd appreciate it!

• Like 1

Check the Devils and Flyers websites. They have rink affiliates, the LA Kings and Ducks both have learn to play programs many other teams do too. It may take some work calling rinks but there has to be one or two at least. Good luck! 

https://www.nhl.com/devils/community/devils-rink-partners

https://www.flyersskatezone.com/locations

• Like 1

After reading your recent posts it sounds like you are ready to go to Stick Time or Open Ice(?) as it's is called in your area. Not pick up, you should be fine. You might be surprised to find out that others will encourage you and give tips. If the local rinks have true novice leagues check them out too. There will always be ringers but many will be supportive. Also ask around about private pickups that welcome all skill levels again most will be supportive.  Open pickups tend to be fast paced. 

It's also time to get a shorter stick and play around in your street shoes with a ball, puck or roller puck. Use your gloves and just try things.  You can even use a ball watching TV working on your stickhandling.  As a matter of fact start out using a shorter stick than the standard recommendations. 

http://www.cuthockeysticks.com/

Thanks SirJW!

There's one rink by me that has stick and puck sessions, Howell Ice Arena. Is that what you mean by stick time? Not familiar with stick and puck. The arena I go to which is right next door to my office is the Jersey Shore Arena. They have open hockey sessions. I've sat and watched a couple of these to see just how good the people attending are. Some are pretty good, there are a couple of guys that aren't that great there though. I myself am not quite up to the standard of "not that great" yet so it'll be a little while longer for me to drop in on an open hockey session. I think once i'm able to do backwards crossovers without looking like I just got terrified by a poltergeist every 4 or 5 strokes I might consider dropping in on an open hockey session.

• Like 1

>>>stick and puck sessions<<

Yes that sounds like what I'm describing. For some reason the name is different all over the US and Canada. 

On that note look for adult clinics instead of learn to play. Or whatever a clinic is referred to in your area. 

Edited by SirJW

Ah ok. So stick time is generally beginners?

Thanks for the link by the way. There is one rink on there that has a clinic on a Sunday morning that is about 50 minutes away from me, that might work for me.

• Like 1

I don't know the rinks there but yes a place to practice. Sometimes it turns in to half ice pick up  but generally there will be space for you to work on your skills. 

Stick and puck or Stick time is what its called at most of the rinks around here...basically an open sheet where they let  a set number of folks on ...can work on your own thing, or lots of times small games end up going on, depends on the clientele that shows.... Proskate in South Brunswick/monmouth junction has had real good adult learn to play hockey programs in the past, when you 'graduate' from there they put together teams in the lower level mens leagues of the graduates, was a pretty good setup from what I saw in the past (Used to coach the Edison High team so saw a lot of programs at different rinks, theirs and the one at Protec in somerset were the best)

It's rare to have adult ice hockey instruction, kind of like looking for adult instruction in basketball or baseball; there's an assumption that you played basketball or baseball as a child and as an adult, you are going to play it in amateur adult leagues.

As for hockey tactics and skills, there are various youtube videos that can sort of help out. But nothing can replace on-ice instruction and practice.

There are actually a few, although I am wondering how "central NJ" the OP is, but the OP hasn't been back on the forum since October.  So, I'm hoping he found one of the skates I am aware of, that are instructional in nature.  

@psulion22 thanks for the Weekend Warriors info.  A bit pricey, but for what it is might be worth checking out.  

7 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

There are actually a few, although I am wondering how "central NJ" the OP is, but the OP hasn't been back on the forum since October.  So, I'm hoping he found one of the skates I am aware of, that are instructional in nature.  

@psulion22 thanks for the Weekend Warriors info.  A bit pricey, but for what it is might be worth checking out.  

It is pricey.  But it's also 13 hours of ice plus another 6-8 hours of off-ice video review and chalk talk.  If you take all the instruction you're getting and combine it, you're talking $30-35/hr which is about what I'm paying per game down here.  And that's not counting the personal jersey, socks, materials, and banquet meal, plus some beer and appetizers you receive.  So it's really more like $25/hr which is pretty good for the level of instruction you get.  The coaches have coached/played at a decent level (one used to be the HC of a D1 Big 10 women's team, another used to work for player development for Hockey Canada, among others) and there are enough of them that you do get some pretty personal attention.  I'd like to see them knock off a day - 2 hours of ice and maybe $100.  You'd still get plenty of instruction, but it wouldn't be as tiring (by Day 4, you're usually toast) or expensive, especially if you figure the extra night in a hotel.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, psulion22 said:

It is pricey.  But it's also 13 hours of ice plus another 6-8 hours of off-ice video review and chalk talk.  If you take all the instruction you're getting and combine it, you're talking $30-35/hr which is about what I'm paying per game down here.  And that's not counting the personal jersey, socks, materials, and banquet meal, plus some beer and appetizers you receive.  So it's really more like $25/hr which is pretty good for the level of instruction you get.  The coaches have coached/played at a decent level (one used to be the HC of a D1 Big 10 women's team, another used to work for player development for Hockey Canada, among others) and there are enough of them that you do get some pretty personal attention.  I'd like to see them knock off a day - 2 hours of ice and maybe $100.  You'd still get plenty of instruction, but it wouldn't be as tiring (by Day 4, you're usually toast) or expensive, especially if you figure the extra night in a hotel.

When you break it down, you are right, it is a good value.  And I'm local, so no need to do the hotel stay.  I might have to check it out.  

1 hour ago, krisdrum said:

When you break it down, you are right, it is a good value.  And I'm local, so no need to do the hotel stay.  I might have to check it out.  

It's fun, and a lot of good instruction.  I definitely learned a lot and became a better player from that camp.  I've been to 3.  And I'm well above a novice/intermediate player those camps are geared for.  Fundamentals are still fundamentals, no matter what level you're at.  Same thing with game strategy.  Plus, I got a lot of little tips from the coaches that have helped a lot.

If you want to go to Morristown, sign up early.  It's their most popular camp and sells out fast because there's a group of regulars that go every year.

1 minute ago, psulion22 said:

It's fun, and a lot of good instruction.  I definitely learned a lot and became a better player from that camp.  I've been to 3.  And I'm well above a novice/intermediate player those camps are geared for.  Fundamentals are still fundamentals, no matter what level you're at.  Same thing with game strategy.  Plus, I got a lot of little tips from the coaches that have helped a lot.

If you want to go to Morristown, sign up early.  It's their most popular camp and sells out fast because there's a group of regulars that go every year.

Thanks.  Good to know.  I'm definitely a novice, so maybe it is right in my wheelhouse.  And August will give me a bit to work on things in the meantime.