Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
gosinger

Gear & Pickup hockey in Pittsburgh

Hi,

I've got a business trip to Pittsburgh (PA) Mid-August, and decided to add a week of vacation in Downtown. Since it is early pre-season prep-time currently, I'd love the opportunity to get a few ice-times (3-4) in and maybe get some nice pro-stock gear while I'm there.

So I am looking for:

• Rinks with Pickup hockey / Stick & Puck and Gear rental (traveling from Europe, can't bring full gear bag on company flight)
  • Shops with a decent selection of gear (preferably pro-stock stuff hard to get in Europe)

Maybe someone is familiar with the area and can help me out? Any hints are greatly appreciated.

There is plenty of pick-up around, stick time is generally reserved for 18 and under though.  I don’t know of any place that rents gear.

There is a Pure Hockey in north Pittsburgh and a Ko Sports in the south.  Pure is probably like any other Pure, Ko is bigger.  It is a Source for Sports franchise somit will have SMU stuff but dont think pro stock.  There is also a Peranis but I havent been there for years.

if you know where you are staying that would help.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the follow-up, I'll definitely check out Ko, Pure if there is time. Both will be amazing compared to any LHS here, but of course pro-stock would be a plus.

I'll be staying in Downtown, 3 blocks from PPG Paint Arena. Over here some rinks offer rental equipment (from single player who drop-in to whole locker rooms for company events), so as long as you bring your own skates you should be fine to pop in for a quick shinny - naively I was assuming this was a standard offering everywhere 🙂

Howdy,

Yeah, I've not heard of adult rental gear around here.  You could maybe piece something together from lost and founds... 🙂

There's nothing much at the PPG rink.  I think there are some private penguins alum type things, but not much for mortals.

RMU Island Sports Complex is fairly easy to get to from downtown (with a car).  You might call them and ask about rental gear and pickup.  Not sure what they've got going on there.

https://www.rmuislandsports.com/

Baierl Ice Complex is a little further away, but there's always some hockey available.  I don't think there's any rental gear though.
http://www.nextstephockey.com/view/baierlicecomplex

There's other rinks around as well.  

In terms of shops, KO is what I'd recommend.  South of the city.  They usually have some prostock stuff and are probably the biggest shop around.
http://kosports.com/

Mark