Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

1/2" hockey tape?

Howdy,

Are there any sources for 1/2" hockey tape?  I want to use that for knobs on sticks.  Tearing 1" tape always leaves sticky thread hangers / whatever.

I haven't found any hockey tape that's 1/2", but I have found 'finger tape' for rock climbing that looks to be 1/2" athletic tape... Same thing basically?

Or do I just need to suck it up?  🙂

Mark

I think it was Howie’s that posted 1/2” tape as an April fools joke at one point. Honestly I think it’s something that would actually sell.

Howdy,

When I didn't get much response, I ordered finger tape from Amazon.  I got the .3" version the other day and its pretty narrow... Not sure if its too narrow or not.  Otherwise it seems roughly equivalent to hockey tape.

Because I thought it would be a little too narrow, I then ordered some actual 1/2" athletic tape.  Should be here today.

Unfortunately my wrist is casted up at the moment, so I can't actually do a knob and go try either out immediately. 😞

Mark

13 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

That looks great, but I wasn't able to find anyone selling it in the US?

Mark

Because most people will just split a roll themselves!

Contact NAT and find out what dealers carry it.  They're good guys over there.

• Like 1

Haha yeah, saw that this morning. I remember when they posted the April Fools joke and everyone was like "I was hoping this was real". I know I definitely use a 1/2" knob for both player and goalie sticks, so I'd definitely be buying this if I was going to keep playing. 

Howie's is awesome. You can also use half inch gaffer's tape, but I usually don't put it directly on the stick because the adhesive is so nasty. Once around with clear shin tape, 7x gaffer's. 

I think this is silly. How many times do people tape their butt end of their sticks? Cant wait to see people taping their blades with this too adding 100g of tape to the blade. Sigh. 

• Haha 2

It's a silly as the numbers make it out to be.  If it sells, it's not silly.  I mean, is it really more silly than the confusing array of new products in the stick and skate segments coming out every year that really has zero bearing on most of the retail market?  With all the options, how many people are really in the right combination of kick-point, curve, flex, stick length, etc. for them?  Or for how many kids does any of the new skate tech have any impact?  I think the hockey companies stumble along as marketing machines, not problem solvers.  To me this is, "I am buying a case of hockey tape, throw one or two of these in on top of my regular stuff."  Or it is grab it at the counter when checking out.  Every new product offering doesn't have to revolutionize the industry.

I mean it's not a huge deal. From what I understand the tape is made in wide rolls and then cut into inch-wide rolls. Cutting into half inch rolls is not exactly revolutionizing the tape industry. 

Personally, I like the half inch because the knob is the only tape I use on my stick (gotta shave off those few ozs) and I just found it more comfortable on my wrist. I'd buy this just because it's cheaper than gaffer's by a lot

Howdy,

Yeah, per this thread I looked around and found other 1/2" tape to use for knobs.  Its just nicer/easier if Howie's sells it.

And it beats ripping a 1" tape in half by about a million percent.   🙂

Mark

Personally, this definitely fits two needs for me, and this isn't silly at all in my eyes. First, I use really big knobs on my sticks. My knobs are step knobs. 10 time around with 1.5 inch tape. 10 times around with 1 inch tape, and then 30 times around with 1/2 inch tape. Splitting the tape for that last part is a pain in the ass. Now, it's that much easier and quicker.

This will be especially helpful when I'm experimenting with stick length.

Second, I currently use blade tape, which doesn't cover the edges of the blade. What I normally do is split the tape and line the edges. And not having to split the tape when replacing the worn out tape will be a huge time and hassle saver. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, puckpilot said:

Second, I currently use blade tape, which doesn't cover the edges of the blade. What I normally do is split the tape and line the edges. And not having to split the tape when replacing the worn out tape will be a huge time and hassle saver. 

I use electrical tape for this and it lasts longer than the cloth tape on the rest of the blade. 

Also use it for sock tape. (it's cheap).

I guess I'm just old, but this all seems a bit insane to me.  I just use 1" tape, twist it and wrap to make the knob, cover with a quick wrap, and done.  I have no issue making knobs of differing sizes with this technique.  Sometimes I use the medical style tape as an outer layer, if I want a softer feel that also has less glue to damage palms.

To each their own, but I just don't get it.

Edited by boo10
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, boo10 said:

I guess I'm just old, but this all seems a bit insane to me.  I just use 1" tape, twist it and wrap to make the knob, cover with a quick wrap, and done.  I have no issue making knobs of differing sizes with this technique.  Sometimes I use the medical style tape as an outer layer, if I want a softer feel that also has less glue to damage palms.

To each their own, but I just don't get it.

Well, it’s pretty simple. Some people do things differently from you. 

Seriously, what’s to “get”?  Some people use 1/2” tape.  They find it a bit annoying to rip rolls in half.  Tape company thinks they can sell enough to make it worth their while.  They sell it.  Just like most products.