Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
colins

Bauer 3D scan

So my son's wearing a pair of CCM Tacks and ran into some lace bite issues. I'm exploring deeper boot options as he fails the pencils test (just barely) on the Tacks. He's got a high instep. The lace bite is on his left foot.

We got 3D scanned in the Bauer scanner tonight, it confirmed his high instep, with the left instep being above the half way point between "average" & the top of the scale and the right being about mid-way between "average" and the top of the scale. He's got a wide heel, and his forefoot height was near the top of the scale for both feet.

The scanner fitted him in a Supreme. It showed him optimally fitting the depth of the Supreme boot. The Nexus on the display showed that it would be deeper than necessary for his instep height. It recommended an EE width.

So he tried on the Supreme (S29 - they didn't have a 2S in his size) and the Nexus (2N) and:

- Both very slightly fail the pencil test similar to his Tacks - at the curved part around eyelets 4/5 the pencil just grazes his instep.

- Both felt very comfortable, but he found the Nexus slightly constricting on the forefoot area, whereas the Supreme was more comfortable there. I figure this must have been down to the tongue or something and not the depth of the boot?

- Overall he preferred the Supreme slightly, they felt like he could skate in them right away even without a baking they were that comfortable.

The obvious choice would be to get the Supremes, but with the recent lace bite experience I'm looking for a boot depth that won't cause that problem again. The Nexus is supposed to be deeper for the instep, the Scanning software and everything I've read said so, so I'm not getting how the pencil test said otherwise, and his comfort especially closer to the forefoot was less 'roomy' in the Nexus vs. the Supreme.

Anyone have a similar experience using the scanner and comparing Supreme and Nexus boot depth with a high instep? I don't want to drop hundreds on a new pair of skates and end up with lace bite issues again like he ran into on the Tacks.

colins

Edited by colins

How bad is his lace bite? I pass the pencil test on both skates and I still have lace bite on my left foot. I took about a month off and let it heal and I now wear a bunga pad and it works. Lace bite is a pain in the ass. Also, I was under the impression that Nexus was the deepest and had the most volume out of the Bauer family. I have never tried the Bauer or CCM scan and don’t think I will. 

Edited by Shogun
  • Like 1

Bauer scanner always puts me in a Supreme and I failed the pencil test, similar to what you describe.  I see your son is in OG (New)Tacks. I also had some depth issues in that boot.  Has your son tried on the 9090 Tacks?  I had a pair that I loved, but the heel was just a bit too wide, ( I do not have a wide heel).  I found the 9090 fit better than the AS1.

12 minutes ago, boo10 said:

Bauer scanner always puts me in a Supreme and I failed the pencil test, similar to what you describe.  I see your son is in OG (New)Tacks. I also had some depth issues in that boot.  Has your son tried on the 9090 Tacks?  I had a pair that I loved, but the heel was just a bit too wide, ( I do not have a wide heel).  I found the 9090 fit better than the AS1.

Yes he's in the OG Tacks, the really stiff original re-introduction of the line before the Super Tacks came out. He wore these a few years ago when they first came out before outgrowing them and moving to a Bauer Supreme 180. When he outgrew the 180's I found a pair of the Tacks on Clearance in his current size. One complaint he's always had is he finds them "boxy" whereas he says the Supreme and even Nexus is slimmer. He wore the Tacks last season without any issue, but this summer after being off the ice for a few weeks, his return during an intense camp where he was on the ice multiple times a day lead to a bad case of lace bite on the left foot for the first time ever since he started skating.

We didn't try on the 9090 (yet). If it's as deep or deeper than the Supreme it would be worth a try. The Supreme 180 was great for him as well, I'm just a bit lost in not being able to find a boot that clearly passes the pencil test, but then again, how important is that if the Supreme and Nexus both seem to slightly graze his instep at the same point on his foot? I thought the Nexus would be too deep for him based on the scan, but the try-on test didn't prove that out.

colins

I know this will sound odd but I have the same problem in the same area and the skates that fit the best were the CCM 70K/80K. The 2015 Jetspeed also provide me enough depth thru the middle of the boot and is closer to the supreme fit, more depth, and a slightly more narrow heel.

I've heard the FT380/390 and the new FT480 are the equivalent to the 2015 Jetspeed. 

Try the CCM 70K/80K in a D or the CCM FT380/390/480 in an EE and see how they fit.

For reference, my Bauer scan gave the same recommendation and I fail the pencil test in supreme and barely fail in the Nexus line. 

• Like 1

Be careful with the EE recommendation.  Unless the EE fits in all aspects don't do it.  My son went with the EE recommendation based on some but not all of the measurements and 6 weeks later we were ordering customs because the heels would not lock. 

23 hours ago, colins said:

The lace bite is on his left foot.

Did the extenders help? If so you may find that for a retail boot you put him in what fits the best everywhere else and he has to have the extenders fitted.

9 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

Did the extenders help? If so you may find that for a retail boot you put him in what fits the best everywhere else and he has to have the extenders fitted.

Yes, his lace bite pain is almost entirely gone. Still a small lump, and he can feel a slight amount of tenderness when something is pressed against it and he flexes his foot up and down, but he can skate with the lace extenders in his Tacks and nothing is painful and it doesn't make the existing condition any worse. I suspect a couple more weeks of physio exercises, ice, massage/foamroller and it will be 100% gone. Maybe the bump will stick around, I know for some that never goes away.

The Tacks are about a year old, ideally I'd like to find a boot that doesn't need any modification as his foot is still probably growing a bit at age 16 and this isn't the last pair of skates he'll need. 

colins

Went with the Supreme's after. The EE boot, like the scanner indicated. The Nexus would have worked too I believe, but they just weren't as comfortable all around - the Supreme boot was the best match for his foot overall.

They didn't have a 2S in his size so we went up to the 2S Pro after they offered a price on them to make it a bit easier a decision. I like the construction of the skate, the injected eyelets and the Speedplate 2.0. I think injected eyelets can help with lace bite as they move the laces up closer to the top of the facing vs. traditional eyelets. I wasn't sure about the tongue but he's skated in them once so far and found them comfortable right away and if anything, I think the 2S Pro tongue would help prevent future lacebite as the inserts are so rigid they won't allow the laces to cut in.

The LS5 steel I'm not sold on yet - seems to have a lot of burrs when sharpened and hard to get a nice clean set of edges on them, at least visually, it looks like the coating and the steel makes for a bit of an unclean edge no matter how much I sharpen and de-burr them. Maybe because they are new, I guess we'll see how that goes, but I think swapping the LS5 for StepSteel and keeping them as backups in going to be the plan for that.

One other small annoyance - Bauer seems to over crank some rivets on the holder - the middle ones on the heel. You can see the holder is slightly pinched and deformed. They seem to have this problem across the lines - a pair of X900s I had last year were the same and after just a few months use the plastic under the rivet has cracked and a small piece of it has fallen off because of the extra stress and deformity.

colins

Edited by colins

3 hours ago, colins said:

The LS5 steel I'm not sold on yet - seems to have a lot of burrs when sharpened and hard to get a nice clean set of edges on them, at least visually, it looks like the coating and the steel makes for a bit of an unclean edge no matter how much I sharpen and de-burr them. Maybe because they are new, I guess we'll see how that goes, but I think swapping the LS5 for StepSteel and keeping them as backups in going to be the plan for that.

Over time the LS5 will sharpen a bit better but will never be as clean as aftermarket steel. 

3 hours ago, colins said:

One other small annoyance - Bauer seems to over crank some rivets on the holder - the middle ones on the heel. You can see the holder is slightly pinched and deformed. They seem to have this problem across the lines - a pair of X900s I had last year were the same and after just a few months use the plastic under the rivet has cracked and a small piece of it has fallen off because of the extra stress and deformity.

I see this with Bauer often. When we get in any of our shipments its one of the things our staff is instructed to check for and if a skate has any issues or defect, such as this, we send them back to Bauer for a replacement. Yes, we could go through the hassle of removing the rivet/rivets and replacing them ourselves but I would prefer to just have the manufacturer handle it. I would recommend taking a picture of it before you replace the rivet, which I would recommend doing proactively, and if the holder eventually does fail you have the picture to send the Bauer. 

• Like 1