Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
the iceman

CCM FV1 Full Face Visor

Would the FV1 fit a Reebok 11k? I don't really need a new lid yet... Some of the inside padding is starting to come loose, but it's still in working shape. I don't want to spend money for a CCM helmet if I don't have to. I'm really looking to try out a bubble but these are border line impossible to find gently used online.

3 hours ago, z1ggy said:

Would the FV1 fit a Reebok 11k? I don't really need a new lid yet... Some of the inside padding is starting to come loose, but it's still in working shape. I don't want to spend money for a CCM helmet if I don't have to. I'm really looking to try out a bubble but these are border line impossible to find gently used online.

They're designed to fit on all helmets in theory so yea it should fit.

I bought one and returned it.  I put it on my V08 and it just felt a little too short, like my chin was left exposed a bit (this was my concern since it was a "one size fits all" senior shield and, in my experience, I've always sized up in cages to get a proper fit).  I flipped the clips upside down to see if that gave me a little extra length and it I found it wasn't as easy as it is with a cage... the flipped clips gave me a little extra length but they changed the angle (of the dangle?) and the shield didn't even come close to sitting in the J clips (no matter how I adjusted them) and also left 2 slits between the helmet and top of shield that were large enough for a stick blade to easily slide into since now it was angled outwards ever so slightly.  So my conclusion was mostly that shields don't fit my head/face correctly so I'll stick with my cage, too bad because it was a nice looking shield.  

1 hour ago, xstartxtodayx said:

They're designed to fit on all helmets in theory so yea it should fit.

I bought one and returned it.  I put it on my V08 and it just felt a little too short, like my chin was left exposed a bit (this was my concern since it was a "one size fits all" senior shield and, in my experience, I've always sized up in cages to get a proper fit).  I flipped the clips upside down to see if that gave me a little extra length and it I found it wasn't as easy as it is with a cage... the flipped clips gave me a little extra length but they changed the angle (of the dangle?) and the shield didn't even come close to sitting in the J clips (no matter how I adjusted them) and also left 2 slits between the helmet and top of shield that were large enough for a stick blade to easily slide into since now it was angled outwards ever so slightly.  So my conclusion was mostly that shields don't fit my head/face correctly so I'll stick with my cage, too bad because it was a nice looking shield.  

What size V08 is it? My Helmet is a Large so I figure a one size fits all might run a little on the small-ish side. I'm kind of between head sizes too, I could probably rock a medium helmet but expand it out to fit as wide/long as possible. My L helmet is pretty much set to the smallest settings and fits pretty well.

Could also be time to size up a new helmet... I do find sweat gets into my eyes A LOT with the 11k. I'll be at pick ups and whatnot and pretty much have to come off the ice to find myself wiping sweat out of my eyes mid shift. Annoying.

Also, anybody here try the Ronin MK5 or the Tron Hybrid?

1 hour ago, z1ggy said:

Also, anybody here try the Ronin MK5 or the Tron Hybrid?

Several people at my local rink, which is very humid, use the Gy hybrid visor. I spoke with them and they said they’ve had no issues with fogging. I have the latest Bauer gold fish bowl, and water streams down the inside surface after ten minutes in the rink.  I only used it once. 

I prefer to wear glasses instead of contacts, and I assume condensation on glasses would be even worse with a hybrid visor rather than a cage which I normally wear. 

3 hours ago, z1ggy said:

What size V08 is it? My Helmet is a Large so I figure a one size fits all might run a little on the small-ish side. I'm kind of between head sizes too, I could probably rock a medium helmet but expand it out to fit as wide/long as possible. My L helmet is pretty much set to the smallest settings and fits pretty well.

I wear a small V08 (and medium in Bauer's).  Cage and helmet size don't really correlate since everyone head and face sizes are different, I typically wear a large Bauer Profile II and Reakt cage, CCM cages never fit right, medium is too short and large too long, damn Goldilocks syndrome 😣

I think I'm going to try out the Tron P290 hybrid shield. It's only $50 and everywhere I look, has really good reviews, unlike some of the other "big OEM" bubbles that people complain about fogging and whatnot. Ideally I'd like the full clarity of the bubble but we'll see what the hybrid is like. If I can find a spot where I could easily return the FV1 I'd buy it just to try it out.

4 hours ago, z1ggy said:

I think I'm going to try out the Tron P290 hybrid shield. It's only $50 and everywhere I look, has really good reviews, unlike some of the other "big OEM" bubbles that people complain about fogging and whatnot. Ideally I'd like the full clarity of the bubble but we'll see what the hybrid is like. If I can find a spot where I could easily return the FV1 I'd buy it just to try it out.

It's basically the same as the Alkali Hockey model, TRON owns Alkali. Everyone I know that has one hates it and says they are heavy. I would not recommend it.  

https://goodgear.com/products/alkalirpdquantumhybridshield

15 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

It's basically the same as the Alkali Hockey model, TRON owns Alkali. Everyone I know that has one hates it and says they are heavy. I would not recommend it.  

https://goodgear.com/products/alkalirpdquantumhybridshield

Well, can't hurt to try it out. Might be fake reviews but it's got good stats on Amazon. I'd rather have heavy and fog free than foggy and lighter I guess. I like how the shield is a little "flatter" too like a motorcycle helmet, and not all rounded like some kind of NASA space helmet lens.

Will places like Pure or hockey monkey take returns (Even if just for store creds) if you're not satisfied with a product?

Edit: Also, kind of off topic a little but does anybody know anything about a seller/online store called "Mystery South".com? I have found the FV1 on this website for sale, but also a tonnnn of other retail gear for less than retail pricing from other big box stores. I'm pretty sketched out by this but maybe they can reduce the price a few bucks because they have lower overheads?

Edited by z1ggy

10 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

Will places like Pure or hockey monkey take returns (Even if just for store creds) if you're not satisfied with a product?

Yes, most accept returns if you have not used/damaged the product.  I bought mine from Pure Hockey online and returned it to their store since I was in the area.  Just be exstra careful when installing it and testing around the house.  Not sure what sort of guarantee anyone has once you've tried it on the ice.

29 minutes ago, xstartxtodayx said:

Yes, most accept returns if you have not used/damaged the product.  I bought mine from Pure Hockey online and returned it to their store since I was in the area.  Just be exstra careful when installing it and testing around the house.  Not sure what sort of guarantee anyone has once you've tried it on the ice.

I think I could test it 50% in the house... simply for fit and weight. But the fogging issue I can't test unless I'm in a rink really...

I have had the FV1 for a little while now and really like it. I intentionally tried to fog it up on one of the hotter days in the rink at a drop-in and it didn’t. Even when others have fogged hybrids, I have no issues. 

I have only ever used a cage before the FV1 and appreciate that it is lighter and the visibility. I have it installed on a medium Bauer IMS 5.0. I had to swap to the J-clips that came with the FV1 to get a good fit, which I assume is expected. The chin strap and pad stay in place nicely, and lock in tight when adjusted which I like. I have read some reviews of issues with the chin pad on other bubbles.

I treat it just like any motorcycle visor. Clean with water and a microfiber, haven’t done anything else to it. No anti-fog spray etc. Seems fairly scratch resistant and I keep my helmet in the provided bag while transporting. 

I’d recommend giving it a shot if it fits well when you first get it. I kept mine with the stickers on to try it on first before deciding to keep it. Ordered from PureHockey, and would have been able to return it if needed. 

• Like 1

K so I caved and went and bought the FV1 at hockey monkey today. I also double caved and bought a 710 helmet because it fit miles better than my 11k, which now after putting on a medium 710, was grossly ill fitting. I also have that Tron hybrid coming today too so I will probably try the FV1 tonight and and if it works really well, just return the Tron.

So I got the FV1 on my helmet and out for a skate. It took a little while to get used to but I do like it so far. It's not some magic bullet as I still feel there's kind of a "blind spot
 when the puck is in my feet, but I experienced 0 fogging issues at all. The worst thing to happen was I ended up touching the mask with my sweat finger during a rest and that caused a little smudge but it wasn't really that noticeable.

I also had the Tron hybrid that I put on and I didn't like it as much because of the metal cage on the bottom. It was more of a distraction but I'm sure I could get used to it. For right now I just don't see a reason to keep it unless the FV1 starts giving me issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, z1ggy said:

So I got the FV1 on my helmet and out for a skate. It took a little while to get used to but I do like it so far. It's not some magic bullet as I still feel there's kind of a "blind spot
 when the puck is in my feet, but I experienced 0 fogging issues at all. The worst thing to happen was I ended up touching the mask with my sweat finger during a rest and that caused a little smudge but it wasn't really that noticeable.

I also had the Tron hybrid that I put on and I didn't like it as much because of the metal cage on the bottom. It was more of a distraction but I'm sure I could get used to it. For right now I just don't see a reason to keep it unless the FV1 starts giving me issues.

I think Hybrids are nice, but the common problem I've heard from people that use them is that there's a big blind spot where the cage meets the visor part. I'm probably going to try the FV1 as well once my Bauer goes.

20 minutes ago, Giltis said:

I think Hybrids are nice, but the common problem I've heard from people that use them is that there's a big blind spot where the cage meets the visor part. I'm probably going to try the FV1 as well once my Bauer goes.

There is still a blind spot with the FV1, too, exactly as you said, which were the "Cage" part meets the visor. It's better with FV1 because it's clear, but it is noticeable still, at least for me.

On 10/29/2019 at 11:56 AM, z1ggy said:

Edit: Also, kind of off topic a little but does anybody know anything about a seller/online store called "Mystery South".com? I have found the FV1 on this website for sale, but also a tonnnn of other retail gear for less than retail pricing from other big box stores. I'm pretty sketched out by this but maybe they can reduce the price a few bucks because they have lower overheads?

Yes, I ordered gloves off there for like $30 cheaper than anywhere else. Got the sketchy vibe but tried it out anyways. My email to them wasn’t returned until 2 days later saying some bs about them being swamped. Tried calling the number listed on their site and it said the number has been disconnected. Cancelled the order and notified credit card company. I would stay the hell away from them.

35 minutes ago, Riese1825 said:

Yes, I ordered gloves off there for like $30 cheaper than anywhere else. Got the sketchy vibe but tried it out anyways. My email to them wasn’t returned until 2 days later saying some bs about them being swamped. Tried calling the number listed on their site and it said the number has been disconnected. Cancelled the order and notified credit card company. I would stay the hell away from them.

I am. Seems to good to be true and you know what they say about that...

7 minutes ago, Giltis said:

Did you have to use any spray? or just wiping it down with a cloth?

The "instructions" provided in the box actually say not to use any kind of spray and to only use warm soap and water, and to wipe down with micro fiber towel. That's all I've done so far, and it's worked just fine. I just need to be conscious when I take my gloves off between shifts to not try to touch it, because it does attract grease and sweat easily. Usually between shifts, I unbuckle it and flop it up to give my face a little air and it prevents me from touching it by mistake.

• Thanks 1

Is this becoming discontinued for a newer model? I'm seeing some markdowns and it being less available online in some bigger stores