Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
z1ggy

Thinnest/least volume Elbow Pads?

My team got new jerseys and the sleeves for some reason are insanely narrow. My old Bauer Supreme elbow pads barely allow me to get my jersey over them. Had to have a teammate help rip them down over the padding, and that's not something I feel like doing from now on. Looking for the absolute smallest/least volume pads available.

...And yes I have the right size jersey, for whatever reason this company makes the sleeves very narrow.

If you’re happy with the elbows, maybe get a quote from a seamster for adding a little volume to the sleeve. Could be cheaper, plus the minimum I can think of is either the Jofa or Sherwood classic styles that are essentially volleyball knee pads. I had some super mobile and low profile Kohos for years but replaced them after a slew-foot check almost shattered my elbow.

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with the elbow pads I have now, other than being like... 8 years old and pretty gross. They function properly still and most of the stitching is still intact. I'll look into the seamstress thing...maybe the lady who does dry cleaning down the street can do it, I know she does minor alterations for pants, shirts, etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, z1ggy said:

There's nothing wrong with the elbow pads I have now, other than being like... 8 years old and pretty gross. They function properly still and most of the stitching is still intact. I'll look into the seamstress thing...maybe the lady who does dry cleaning down the street can do it, I know she does minor alterations for pants, shirts, etc.

Maybe you’re due for new elbows, but I’d argue you should choose those based on best fit and function. If the jersey’s still tight there, get the jersey altered to fit the elbow pads, rather than letting the jersey dictate which pads you wear.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, z1ggy said:

My team got new jerseys and the sleeves for some reason are insanely narrow. My old Bauer Supreme elbow pads barely allow me to get my jersey over them. Had to have a teammate help rip them down over the padding, and that's not something I feel like doing from now on. Looking for the absolute smallest/least volume pads available.

...And yes I have the right size jersey, for whatever reason this company makes the sleeves very narrow.

Hmm, everyone else on the team have the same problem?

That doesn't sound right or you bought a size too small. I wouldn't go with thinner elbow pads just to fit in the jersey sleeves. But CCM makes slim-profile referee elbow pads if that's what you really want.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, caveman27 said:

Hmm, everyone else on the team have the same problem?

That doesn't sound right or you bought a size too small. I wouldn't go with thinner elbow pads just to fit in the jersey sleeves. But CCM makes slim-profile referee elbow pads if that's what you really want.

Yes, everybody complaining but only mine are crazy tight. Jersey is an XL, that's what I've always worn... Practice jersey and game jersey.

I'll have to bring the jersey into the dry cleaner down the road that I mentioned before to see if she can widen it because it will surely be cheaper than buying new elbows. I'd rather not skimp on protection, even though this is a non checking league so I'm usually not hitting the ice too often.

3 hours ago, z1ggy said:

Yes, everybody complaining but only mine are crazy tight. Jersey is an XL, that's what I've always worn... Practice jersey and game jersey.

I'll have to bring the jersey into the dry cleaner down the road that I mentioned before to see if she can widen it because it will surely be cheaper than buying new elbows. I'd rather not skimp on protection, even though this is a non checking league so I'm usually not hitting the ice too often.

Oh, What brand or company did you get these jerseys from? curious.

1 hour ago, caveman27 said:

Oh, What brand or company did you get these jerseys from? curious.

I have to ask.... the goalie on our team ordered them. Maybe the name of the company or something will be on the tag. I'll check once I'm home.

What's weird though is the sleeves are also mega long. Like I said.. ordered my typical players XL and it fits quite differently than our practice jersey, which is just that typical solid color cheapie stuff you buy for like $15. This thing was something like $75 including matching socks. It's more like a legit sweater to be honest.

Edited by z1ggy

1 hour ago, z1ggy said:

I looked, it's Men's League Sweaters.

Here's an peculiar quote from their Fit Guide that might explain the situation, "Our jerseys have a modern cut like today's NHL jerseys. In plain English, they're slimmer in the arms and wider in the torso -- that way they hold your elbow pads in place..."

12 minutes ago, Larry54 said:

Here's an peculiar quote from their Fit Guide that might explain the situation, "Our jerseys have a modern cut like today's NHL jerseys. In plain English, they're slimmer in the arms and wider in the torso -- that way they hold your elbow pads in place..."

If by hold in place, they mean strangle them to your arm after you have 2 adult men rip them over the elbow pad.... then yes.

My normal dressing procedure for the last.... ~15 years has been to put my jersey on over my shoulder pads, then just push the sleeves up a bit, slap the elbows on.. sleeve just fall right back over again, good to go. Now I'll probably try first putting elbow pads on with shoulders... then get my jersey over everything at once. If that doesn't work well, might just be easier to try and find smaller pads. Not sure if I trust the dry cleaner lady to cut/alter this thing.

Edited by z1ggy

So I put my elbows on first, then the jersey which helped get them up over my elbows easily... but then they got stuck on my shoulder pad caps and a teammate had to pull it back down over those :'D I can't win. I have mako shoulder pads which aren't the smallest but I guess I'll try and get the jersey totally over the shoulder caps first...then try and get my arms in. Jeez.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, z1ggy said:

So I put my elbows on first, then the jersey which helped get them up over my elbows easily... but then they got stuck on my shoulder pad caps and a teammate had to pull it back down over those :'D I can't win. I have mako shoulder pads which aren't the smallest but I guess I'll try and get the jersey totally over the shoulder caps first...then try and get my arms in. Jeez.

Whats finny is usually I have the opposite problem as you. My teams always buy these XXL/XL jerseys that are HUGE on me and look more like a dress than a jersey. lol

15 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Whats finny is usually I have the opposite problem as you. My teams always buy these XXL/XL jerseys that are HUGE on me and look more like a dress than a jersey. lol

Yeahhh I mean I'm not an overly large fella. I have a slightly wider shoulder/chest measurement relative to my arm length and body height, but meh. As stated above these are "modern" fitting, so they are tighter. Wish I'd have known I prob would have gone XXL and just dealt with longer sleeves, even hemmed them back a bit.

Got another game Weds... Will see how it goes if I put the whole dang jersey on over my shoulders first, then see if I can maneuver my arms in there with elbows on. Might need to change thread title to smallest shoulder pads if I can't haha XD

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 9:46 AM, z1ggy said:

If by hold in place, they mean strangle them to your arm after you have 2 adult men rip them over the elbow pad.... then yes.

My normal dressing procedure for the last.... ~15 years has been to put my jersey on over my shoulder pads, then just push the sleeves up a bit, slap the elbows on.. sleeve just fall right back over again, good to go. Now I'll probably try first putting elbow pads on with shoulders... then get my jersey over everything at once. If that doesn't work well, might just be easier to try and find smaller pads. Not sure if I trust the dry cleaner lady to cut/alter this thing.

Interesting. I've never heard of sleeves getting slimmed down for the NHL.

I recently got new elbow pads, same brand, better model, and the elbow pad size is huge. Fortunately, our team uses Athletic Knit which has big sleeves.

56 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

Yeahhh I mean I'm not an overly large fella. I have a slightly wider shoulder/chest measurement relative to my arm length and body height, but meh. As stated above these are "modern" fitting, so they are tighter. Wish I'd have known I prob would have gone XXL and just dealt with longer sleeves, even hemmed them back a bit.

Got another game Weds... Will see how it goes if I put the whole dang jersey on over my shoulders first, then see if I can maneuver my arms in there with elbows on. Might need to change thread title to smallest shoulder pads if I can't haha XD

You could always wear your elbows on the outside of the jersey 😉 

5 hours ago, caveman27 said:

Interesting. I've never heard of sleeves getting slimmed down for the NHL.

I recently got new elbow pads, same brand, better model, and the elbow pad size is huge. Fortunately, our team uses Athletic Knit which has big sleeves.

I remember when the Edge jerseys came out, they were going for a different look, tighter and more form-fitting than the traditional fit, and many NHL players requested one size larger to compensate.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl-unveils-streamlined-jerseys-1.633673

Edited by Larry54
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Larry54 said:

I remember when the Edge jerseys came out, they were going for a different look, tighter and more form-fitting than the traditional fit, and many NHL players requested one size larger to compensate.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl-unveils-streamlined-jerseys-1.633673

If I had known before hand about the more slim fit, I'd have gone XXL over my norm XL, for sure. So far I'm 2/2 on needing a dude to assist me getting dressed now and at least 1x a week, I go play pick up on my own where I don't know anybody. That's a complete no go from me on asking a stranger to pull my jersey over my shoulders or otherwise.