Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
thelaterskater

Slowly sinking into my heels

Just about a year ago I got some custom 2S Pros that fit really well (as you’d hope). But slowly it feels like my foot is settling deeper into the heel. There’s much more room in the toe box and forefoot then when I first got them and I’m starting to notice stability issues feeling like I’m back on my heels again. This happened with my last set of skates too. I’m hardly a good skater so it’s hard to be certain it’s the skate changing but it’s happened with two pairs now.

My scans showed a pretty deep heel.

Is there anything I can try to do to counteract this? Would rebaking help restore some of the volume of the heel padding or is it a one way street as it gets compressed over time?

Baking will not "plump up" the foams.  I'm assuming you are using speedplates?  You could try shimming under the heel of the footbed, (just cut the heel out of a cheap dollar store footbed).  

Other things to try would be more costly:

- Superfeet Yellow will lift your heel

- shims between boot and holder

- profile runners with forward pitch

As skates age the foams inside compress and the skate will feel more roomy. If you feel like you’re on your heels too much, there Are two things IMHO you can try.  First you can try Superfeet insoles. They take up more space than your Speedplates and they lift your heel, pitching you forward.  The drawback I found was they deaden the feel for your edges. 

The second thing you could try is to reprofile your runners with a forward pitch. This will make it easier to get off your heels, but it’s not going to help you with the roominess in your skate. 

5 minutes ago, puckpilot said:

As skates age the foams inside compress and the skate will feel more roomy. If you feel like you’re on your heels too much, there Are two things IMHO you can try.  First you can try Superfeet insoles. They take up more space than your Speedplates and they lift your heel, pitching you forward.  The drawback I found was they deaden the feel for your edges. 

The second thing you could try is to reprofile your runners with a forward pitch. This will make it easier to get off your heels, but it’s not going to help you with the roominess in your skate. 

+1

Forward blade profile with some Stable 26 socks could help

• Like 1

How often do you get your skates sharpened? Wondering if your local sharpener is accidentally shaving more from the heel area, little by little, thus creating a slightly backward pitch. You feel like your skates are kicking you upright when you try to crouch forward? 

I have that feeling in some of my insoles. Boots’ lining will pack in over time, but insoles can do the same, especially in the heel first. I’m not familiar with SpeedPlates though, so I’m not sure how spongy they are. Spongier insoles seem to pack in more than firmer ones. If it is the insole it should be a difference you could observe by comparing your used SpeedPlates to new ones.

I picked up some Superfeet Carbon yesterday and swapped out my Speed plates and it definitely helped. I'd say it felt 80-90% back to my ideal fit for these skates which I'll take. Didn't have any of the moments where I feel my heels running out from under me. Thanks for the help!

• Like 1