Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
pisani34

adding grip to superfeet?

With the combination of my cut resistant socks + superfeet carbon, i notice that i get a tiny amount of slide in the boot.  I end up curling my toes and noticing at some points on longer skates that my toes might hurt from contacting the end of the toe cap.  I think that adding a little grip might help alleviate some of that.  Has anyone ever added some grip to their superfeet somehow?  I also intend to try powerfoot inserts to help with the curling toes issue as well.  I understand that a sock change can probably work, but interested to know if this is possible.

1 hour ago, pisani34 said:

With the combination of my cut resistant socks + superfeet carbon, i notice that i get a tiny amount of slide in the boot.  I end up curling my toes and noticing at some points on longer skates that my toes might hurt from contacting the end of the toe cap.  I think that adding a little grip might help alleviate some of that.  Has anyone ever added some grip to their superfeet somehow?  I also intend to try powerfoot inserts to help with the curling toes issue as well.  I understand that a sock change can probably work, but interested to know if this is possible.

You can spray them with this. I do it with most of my insoles. Also prevents them from absorbing water too. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Automotive-15-oz-Black-Truck-Bed-Coating-Spray-248914/202097787

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

This might sound like a stupid question, but are we talking about grip between insole and foot (so coating the top of the insole to prevent the foot from sliding) or between insole and skate (coating the bottom of the insole to prevent the insole from moving)?

I put some Liquid Electrical Tape on my insoles, and it's worked well.  I think Nicolas G was the one who told me about it in the TRUE skates thread.

3 hours ago, asgoodasdead said:

if your skates are fitted and baked properly your foot shouldn't be sliding? or am i crazy

This is the first I've ever heard of this. I'm going down 1.5 sizes from shoe size to skate size, so when I lace up my skates, nothing is sliding, whether I'm in goalie skates or player skates.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 12:53 PM, caveman27 said:

This is the first I've ever heard of this. I'm going down 1.5 sizes from shoe size to skate size, so when I lace up my skates, nothing is sliding, whether I'm in goalie skates or player skates.

I don't slide, per se, I just don't like my feet to be able to squiggle around at all.

Edited by VegasHockey
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I dont slide, pre se, but I dont like my feet to be able to squiggle around at all.

Oh.

I had a pair of Nike/Bauer One75 goalie skates. I usually wear 6D in Bauers, but had these in 6EE because I found them on sale for super cheap. Even after I tightened up the laces. My feet could move a bit because it was a bit too wide. I hated them. 

12 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I dont slide, pre se, but I dont like my feet to be able to squiggle around at all.

Yup, this.

My super tacks fit as good as they can, I think ideally I would be like a 7.75 in a custom skate, but I always go with a 7.5 in most retail skates, so the length fitment is usually as close as it gets.  Just with the combination of my not-so-grippy socks, and the slippery top nature of superfeet, there's just a slight hint of "squiggle". 

Dri fit is good as they wick a lot of sweat but the downside is that the sweat then gets trapped between the sock and the skate liner, and depending on the liner and type of insole it can cause some slipping. The worst combo for me was the true cut resistant socks and clarino liners. Try wearing cotton socks, they actually work quite well to reduce slippage or any type of movement caused by excess sweat/moisture. 

Also some dri fit materials are so soft they are like silk. This may feel super comfy but also isn't very good for gripping the skates liner. 

On 10/23/2019 at 5:54 PM, SkateWorksPNW said:

You can spray them with this. I do it with most of my insoles. Also prevents them from absorbing water too. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Automotive-15-oz-Black-Truck-Bed-Coating-Spray-248914/202097787

What are your thoughts on using this on the bottom side of the Superfeet? 

Here's my issue. I have a pair of Bauer Nexus 7000s (2014) in an 8-D. My Superfeet Carbon were 3 years old so I just replaced them, but after some digging around the internet, seemed like Size E which I had been using is too big (I agree the "heel" swims around a bit) so this time I went with a Size D. The width of Size D is nearly a perfect fit for my skates so very little trimming. However, the D-size SF footbeds are about a quarter-inch shorter than my stock footbeds and there is a small gap near the toe cap. This gap causes the SF footbed to shift forward toward the toecap a little bit while skating, there is some "play" there with the footbed, which is reducing the heel lock. Should I be concerned about this? Do you think the Rust-o-leum product would be of any benefit on the bottom-side of the foot-bed in order to prevent them sliding forward by adding some non-skid grip? 

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. 

2 hours ago, BruinDust said:

Here's my issue. I have a pair of Bauer Nexus 7000s (2014) in an 8-D. My Superfeet Carbon were 3 years old so I just replaced them, but after some digging around the internet, seemed like Size E which I had been using is too big (I agree the "heel" swims around a bit) so this time I went with a Size D. The width of Size D is nearly a perfect fit for my skates so very little trimming. However, the D-size SF footbeds are about a quarter-inch shorter than my stock footbeds and there is a small gap near the toe cap. This gap causes the SF footbed to shift forward toward the toecap a little bit while skating, there is some "play" there with the footbed, which is reducing the heel lock. Should I be concerned about this? Do you think the Rust-o-leum product would be of any benefit on the bottom-side of the foot-bed in order to prevent them sliding forward by adding some non-skid grip? 

I would use some double sided carpet tape. That will present it from shifting. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BruinDust said:

U should've went for d but one size up in length and cut those. 

15 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

U should've went for d but one size up in length and cut those. 

I think you might be confusing "D" and "E" with width measurements for skates. Superfeet use letter to denote overall sizes, for men's sizes it goes B (Smallest) up to F (Largest). I had previously worn "E" but felt the heel fit wasn't ideal and "D" was a better fit for my heel size even though the 1/4 inch gap wasn't an issue as I could cut/trim to a perfect length fit. I skated in the "D" size for the first time a couple days ago and felt the difference in edge control was notable vs. "E" so I'm trying to find a way to alleviate the issue of the footbed shifting slightly before having to revert back to "E" (which honestly I would probably just save the money and return to stock footbeds). 

37 minutes ago, BruinDust said:

I think you might be confusing "D" and "E" with width measurements for skates. Superfeet use letter to denote overall sizes, for men's sizes it goes B (Smallest) up to F (Largest). I had previously worn "E" but felt the heel fit wasn't ideal and "D" was a better fit for my heel size even though the 1/4 inch gap wasn't an issue as I could cut/trim to a perfect length fit. I skated in the "D" size for the first time a couple days ago and felt the difference in edge control was notable vs. "E" so I'm trying to find a way to alleviate the issue of the footbed shifting slightly before having to revert back to "E" (which honestly I would probably just save the money and return to stock footbeds). 

I stand corrected. Forgot sf sizing were letters.