Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Bender37

Very DIfferent sized feet (2.5 sizes)

Hey everyone,

So I've decided on 80k skates.  My left foot is about a 12-12.5.  But I am able to squeeze into and LOVE my new 80k skates. 

My left foot is a 10 - 10.5 max.  2-2.5 size different.  I broke my growth plate as a kid.

The total custom plus for the 80k is $1300 USD.  The retail skate is only 699. 

I've always had the same size skate so I don't know the difference, but ...

Do YOU think it's worth spending $600 more for the custom skate, almost double the price, to have a tighter fitting right skate on the size 10? 

I don't notice any sliding and could put foam or the power foot at the end of the smaller one.

Thoughts? I have 90 days to decide and can return the retail oones....

Hey guys, thanks for the response.  I forgot to mention I don't like super stiff skates.  The true's are cheaper and seem like a great product obviously, but seem incredibly stuff when I hold them.  Heavy too.

I think I have my heart set on the 80k, but trying to decide if it's really worth the extra 600 for a size 12 left boot and a size 10 right boot.

thanks!

24 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

TRUE all day. $950 for fully custom fit to the foot. All you need is to find a certified retailer.

I forgot to mention I don't like how super stiff but also heavy the trues are. 

Have your owned some? I just came from ft2 which are supposed to be the lightest skate out and I don't notice a difference in weight while playing. 

Unless you're elite level and somehow the 100g or whatever the difference is makes a major difference... But then again, it's still light enough for about 10% of the NHL and counting. 

Stiffness is another issue and I would say they are pretty stiff. I wonder though if maybe they could reduce that a little bit for you? Even if not, is it $350 bucks too stiff? 

Depending on the level you play, if you’re talking about your comfort, it’d be worth it. 

IThis might sound stupid, but if you’re only playing rec, and concerned about the cost, it might be cheaper getting two pair of lesser tier skates, like the 78k, and save the steel and runners of the opposite boots. Maybe even try to offload the spare boots on SLS. 

What size are the 80K skates you have now?  Feet that are that much different in size are going to present a challenge with holder size.  If you go custom, the smaller foot will have the holder hanging out past the toe of the boot.

At the end of the day the choice is yours, but when ever I hear someone talk about skates, and they say they have their heart set on skate X, it always rings alarm bells in my head. Form my experience, it tends to not end well. Because it means someone is looking for all the reasons to buy skate X and are looking for all the reasons to not buy skate Y and are not giving the pros and cons enough of an equal measure. I'm not saying this is the case with you, because I honestly do not know, but I'm just saying be careful of getting blinded by the glitter of the new and shiny. 

With that said, you can adjust the way your laces are done up to help with the stiffness of a boot, and IMHO, that is a smaller adjustment to make than trying to make a skate that's too big work. My right foot is a quarter size larger than my left, and it's quite annoying. I couldn't imagine the challenges of trying to deal with an even bigger difference in foot size.

• Like 2

Whats the diff in holder sizes for the two sizes. Even if the boots fit I wonder if the smaller boot would be able to take on the larger holder. Don't think you want to put the smaller holder on the larger boot. That would be my only concern. 

8 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

True skates feel exceptionally stiff in your hand, but flex just right when actually skating.

This. They are very stiff in hand. More than Bauer and CCM, however they don't feel that stiff at all when skating. My as1s felt way stiffer when skating than my trues. 

Edited by Sniper9

7 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

This. They are very stiff in hand. More than Bauer and CCM, however they don't feel that stiff at all when skating. My as1s felt way stiffer when skating than my trues. 

I think it's because True skates are much lower cut.  I believe they usually have one less eyelet than equivalent sized Bauer or CCM skates.

7 hours ago, boo10 said:

I think it's because True skates are much lower cut.  I believe they usually have one less eyelet than equivalent sized Bauer or CCM skates.

I used to think this but I had my buddy measure his 1x and the height is the same. The top eyelet is at the same height too. Trues skates above size 8, all have 10 eyelets vs 9 eyelets for sizes under 8.  True just has larger spaces between eyelets vs Bauer. Probably bc of their toecap design too. 

The as1 is definitely taller because thats what they actually advertised. A taller boot vs their super tacks predecessor. Never got to measure my as1 though.  As1 does have an extra eyelet vs True and Bauer as well. 

Edited by Sniper9

15 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Whats the diff in holder sizes for the two sizes. Even if the boots fit I wonder if the smaller boot would be able to take on the larger holder. Don't think you want to put the smaller holder on the larger boot. That would be my only concern. 

I’ve never fit skates for anyone but myself, so I don’t know anything about uneven feet, and I don’t know much about the mechanics of skating. Just asking informationally as a lay person trying to learn and understand...

Do you need the same size holder on each skate? Two people in this thread mention holder size vs boot size, and if they would match up. Couldn’t you just have a 288 holder on the sz 10 skate and a 306 on the size 12? 

2 hours ago, start_today said:

I’ve never fit skates for anyone but myself, so I don’t know anything about uneven feet, and I don’t know much about the mechanics of skating. Just asking informationally as a lay person trying to learn and understand...

Do you need the same size holder on each skate? Two people in this thread mention holder size vs boot size, and if they would match up. Couldn’t you just have a 288 holder on the sz 10 skate and a 306 on the size 12? 

U COULD but not sure if it's recommended. Others can chime in on whether it would be an issue since realistically it's the proper size for each foot. But in my head it seems like it would feel pretty off. A compromise might be to go with a holder one size up on the smaller snd one size down on the larger??