Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
hockeydad3

Changing the lie of a skate

As far as i know there are three different ways to change the lie of a skate to achieve a forward lie:

1. Using an insole with a heel-lift or using a shim beneath the heel-part of the insole.

2. Using a shim between the boot and the heel-part of the holder.

3. Changing the profile of the runner with a forward pitch.

Do these methods have the same results?

Are there pro`s and con´s of the different methods?

• Like 1

I believe most people talk about this as the pitch of the skate rather than lie, but maybe that's a regional dialect thing or something. 

If you put a shim on the inside of the boot, it will change the way your foot sits in the boot, decreasing volume (possible lace bite) and probably most importantly changing where your ankle and other parts of your feet sit in the boot.  I'd rebake after you do that.

I've always done it with profiling rather than a heel lift.  If you're doing anything major heel lift is probably the better way to go, but I haven't had any problems doing it with the steel.  

1 - You can experiment with this, as it's the least permanent solution

2 - The most permanent solution, will not change over time, but also requires the most effort, possibly weakening the footbed of your skate

3 - Somewhere in the middle, but as you sharpen, it may change things slightly over time.

On 11/1/2019 at 5:11 AM, hockeydad3 said:

As far as i know there are three different ways to change the lie of a skate to achieve a forward lie:

1. Using an insole with a heel-lift or using a shim beneath the heel-part of the insole.

2. Using a shim between the boot and the heel-part of the holder.

3. Changing the profile of the runner with a forward pitch.

Do these methods have the same results?

Are there pro`s and con´s of the different methods?

Red dog hockey boost is your best solution if you want it done once and are keeping the skates for a long period. 

Guessing is no longer an issue only slight minor internal tweaks would be done after. 

9 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Red dog hockey boost is your best solution if you want it done once and are keeping the skates for a long period. 

Guessing is no longer an issue only slight minor internal tweaks would be done after. 

How accessible is RDH testing?  Looks like you can order the physical shims but I thought the value was the process, getting it right.  What is their business model?  It says it comes with instructions but from what I have heard you talking about it seems like there is more to it (treadmill and stuff).

15 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

How accessible is RDH testing?  Looks like you can order the physical shims but I thought the value was the process, getting it right.  What is their business model?  It says it comes with instructions but from what I have heard you talking about it seems like there is more to it (treadmill and stuff).

The treadmill and in ice is the full blown package where he comes to you depending on distance. lifts external and so on. it's not cheap or for the once a week player. The over the net package most can do. And works surprisingly well if your blades are well aligned 

9 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

The treadmill and in ice is the full blown package where he comes to you depending on distance. lifts external and so on. it's not cheap or for the once a week player. The over the net package most can do. And works surprisingly well if your blades are well aligned 

Gotcha, I saw that once I clicked over to the site, sorry.  But there is no price or option to purchase the basic setup.  It shows it above the custom on the page but no price, no link to add to cart or anything.

4 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

Gotcha, I saw that once I clicked over to the site, sorry.  But there is no price or option to purchase the basic setup.  It shows it above the custom on the page but no price, no link to add to cart or anything.

You would need to contact for price. 

In Toronto with me the basic including alignment and profile and internal parts is 250. My apologies if stepping on boundries.  Gladly delete and PM if  it allowed. 

On 11/6/2019 at 2:50 PM, oldtrainerguy28 said:

I'm from Germany a bit far away for hockey boost. 

On 11/1/2019 at 2:37 PM, Giltis said:

1 - You can experiment with this, as it's the least permanent solution

2 - The most permanent solution, will not change over time, but also requires the most effort, possibly weakening the footbed of your skate

3 - Somewhere in the middle, but as you sharpen, it may change things slightly over time.

Just wanted to know if there are effective differences between shimming and pitching for the feeling and balance of the skates. A 2+ forward pitch seems to give me a better balance and distribution of my weight for my footsole. My insole is custommade, thin and gives me no negative space inside my skates. So I can't deal with insoles.